Wipers stopped - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wipers stopped
Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:00 PM
Ok, i've heard and seen the issue of the J-bodies having the wipers go to mid windshield when you turn them off... but i was on my way home from work today in a minor hurricane, nice heavy rain, and my wipers just stopped mid windshield and never started moving again, tried turning them off and back on, tried turning the car off, tried moving them myself. Nothing, still just sitting in the center of the windshield... i'm guessing it's the motor but it sounded like it was jammed or something, because when the wipers are on from the outside of the car you can hear what sounds like the motor whining a bit.

96 2.2L, #66 on the dirt track

Re: Wipers stopped
Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:05 PM
ps: it's a 2001 Sunfire with the 2200sfi

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:32 PM
take the plastic caps off at base of wiper arm turn wipers on and see if the nut turns free at the base of each, if so tighten them up, at least thats what was wrong with mine good luck and keep us up to date
Friday, October 21, 2011 5:39 PM
Wiper motor is bad. Broke the shear pin out of it. This was a recall on W-body cars, never really a big issue on the J-bodies though. The high winds likely broke it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, October 21, 2011 7:02 PM
Wipers were working great when i left for work this morning, earlier this evening they stopped working again, and my headlights stopped working... this car was owned by my parents since it was only a couple years old, and i'm starting to think that maybe the wipers are somehow related to the wiring harness we have had to fix many times in the past.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:28 PM
Alright, whatever it is they are definitely related in some way... Whenever the car sits for any amount of time they work for a few seconds, i started up the car and turned on the headlights, and they worked, then the wipers, they worked up the windshield and half way down, when they stopped the headlights shut off at the same time.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:58 AM
Drivers door power locked stopped working at the same time as well, but, found the problem, was all being caused by a bad ground

Friday, December 02, 2011 7:32 PM
It is either the ground on the headlight harness which is under the battery tray, or the headlight harness plug is not seated properly.

This happened to me recently. I unpluged the headlight harness plug and then pluged it back in all was good.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search