engine swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine swap
Monday, October 24, 2011 7:52 PM
im just wondering if a 2.2 from a 2000 cavi will fit in a 1997 cavi that had a 2.4

Re: engine swap
Monday, October 24, 2011 10:03 PM
No, it will not interchange.
The position of the starter is not the same. If the trans axle from the 2.2 is used then it will work,but I'm not sure as to whether all the wiring for the sensors will be the same. Also,I believe there was a change in the engine control computer in 98,but do check on that, because the computer may still work with the newer engine.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:21 AM
As long as the 2.2 and the 2.4 had the same transmissions. I.E. auto/auto or manual/manual. You will also need the trans for the specific motor. The wiring harness is also different and the engine harness from a 98 2.2 should work. You also need the PCM and all the accessories... I.E. alternator, power steering pump, exhaust header/downpipe, compressor, etc... I will give you a spoon-full, but use search and you will more than likely find it.

Friday, October 28, 2011 6:52 PM
Quote:

As long as the 2.2 and the 2.4 had the same transmissions. I.E. auto/auto or manual/manual

And since auto/auto wouldn't have the same transmission.....

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:19 PM
just about done the swap over from 2.4 to a 2.2 had to swap over the coolant hoses and the ecm but everything else fit. going from a 4 speed to a 3 speed but its for my daughter, so should be fine not to sure about mileage will find out when done i quess. let everyone know how it goes this week.
Monday, November 14, 2011 7:24 AM
2.5 days to swap over from a 2.4 over to a 2.2 with three speed tranny but the ckeck engine lite on and ets lite also. i had to use ecm from 2..4 just wondering if this is causing the problem. had a 4 speed before now has a 3 speed. need some input.
Monday, November 14, 2011 7:37 AM
How did you get the 3 speed to bolt to the 2.4?

The 3 speed is a hydrllic trans, the 4 speed is an electronic trans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 14, 2011 7:43 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, November 14, 2011 11:29 AM
it had the 4 speed i installed the 3 speed but the check engine lite is on due to the ecm from the 2.4 installed. the ecm from the 2.2 had a broken pin
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:56 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:How did you get the 3 speed to bolt to the 2.4?
terry maurer wrote:2.5 days to swap over from a 2.4 over to a 2.2 with three speed tranny but the ckeck engine lite on and ets lite also. i had to use ecm from 2..4 just wondering if this is causing the problem. had a 4 speed before now has a 3 speed. need some input.
Reading?

To the OP, your problem is definitely in running the 2.4 ECM. Find yourself a good 2.2/3-speed ECM and you should be fine.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:57 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
terry maurer wrote:2.5 days to swap over from a 2.4 over to a 2.2 with three speed tranny but the ckeck engine lite on and ets lite also. i had to use ecm from 2..4 just wondering if this is causing the problem. had a 4 speed before now has a 3 speed. need some input.
Reading?

To the OP, your problem is definitely in running the 2.4 ECM. Find yourself a good 2.2/3-speed ECM and you should be fine.

Yep, missed that.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:14 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Reading?

Not to mention that it's trying to run a 2.4.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Friday, December 09, 2011 7:12 AM
do u just need the engine bay harness and do u use the emc from the 96-99 0r the ecm from the 00-02

speed kills save lives drive a honda
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:37 AM
You should be able to just swap over the harness in the engine bay.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search