Broken Motor Mount? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Broken Motor Mount?
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:09 PM
Hi guys (Do J-Body owners have a sweet nickname?),

So I was being an idiot at a stop light, and I think I've broken the upper motor mount on my 97 Cavalier. When the car isn't running, I can pop the hood and move the motor forward and backwards with just my hands. Also, when I'm driving, and I accelerate or decelerate, I can feel the transmission moving in the stick shifter.

I've checked out some videos online, and it seems easy enough to repair, so I was just wondering what everyone here thought. Is the motor mount a correct guess? Do I need to worry about the lower mount? Are there more than 2 mounts? What's a preferable brand? I want something that can take some abuse.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual

Re: Broken Motor Mount?
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:46 PM
Sounds like a motor mount to me as well. I would go ahead and replace all the mounts just to be safe. TurboTechRacing has some wonderful motor mounts that will hold up to about any of the "stupid" you give it. lol

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 3:57 PM
Sounds about right to me too,considering mine is almost to that point and the motor mounts arent too hard to replace either.
If you are replacing motor mounts, you may as well replace both of them if your year has 2.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:24 PM
I found no motor mounts on that website. :/

1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:33 PM
If i were you just go and buy a new upper and lower mount from a parts store..

if you have modded the car then get a better upper nad lower mount,RKSport sells a insert for the upper mount,which will replace the broken rubber in yours,And they also sell a great lower motor mount..

But if you go with poly motor mounts,the car will have more vibs to it due to the fact the motor is now more solid,So if you dont mind that you are golden.And if you change to the poly tranny mounts the vibes will be less,So just a heads up..

And I personaly dont deal with TTR.
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:52 PM
Blake wrote:I found no motor mounts on that website. :/

Look engine mounts....

Error: Sig not found.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:11 AM
Tinkles(Boost Face) wrote:

Look engine mounts....

Odd. Thanks for the link though. $100 for custom colors and the full mount is pretty sweet. Now I have to wait until pay day.

1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Wednesday, January 04, 2012 1:45 PM
Yup... .I broke the upper on my 3400, twice. 2nd time is was busted in 3 pieces. You might also start to notice sometimes on a gear shift that when you go for a gear (4th for example) it seems like it isn't there. Good sign of a broken mount.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, January 05, 2012 8:17 AM
Blake wrote:
Tinkles(Boost Face) wrote:

Look engine mounts....

Odd. Thanks for the link though. $100 for custom colors and the full mount is pretty sweet. Now I have to wait until pay day.

PM us if you have any questions

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:40 PM
^^ do it i just ordered mine yesterday. cant wait
Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:47 PM
Resurrecting old posts. I'm like a lvl 12 cleric up in here.

I ordered a full set of inserts; Upper insert, lower dogbone, and the two transmission mount inserts.

I can find tutorials on how to replace the upper insert (support motor (@ oil pan I guess), 15mm and 13mm bolts, easy peasy), but I can't find any info on the lower dogbone replacement. Also, the trans inserts came with some half assed instructions akin to "take old one out, put new one in". I couldn't find those online either.

1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:01 PM
you won't find one on the lover because it's so damned easy.

as for the trans mounts, the front is also easy, the back can be a big pain.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:41 PM
just make sure on the trans mounts you pay attention to the dowels the bushing itself is the same but the front uses a longer dowel you will be some pissed if you try to install tha tin the wrong one

upper insert most use dish soap to help it slide in if its stiff or KY or if not in the budget spit on it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:59 PM
I've got TTR motor and trans mounts on my cammed 3500 and have had no issues with they're mounts. Very affordable and hold up great and I give that car hell every day.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:17 AM
Lower dogbone is easy. Support the motor, take out the two bolts. One passes through the subframe, one passes through a bracket at the oil pan. Replace.

Trans mounts, you need to remove both mounts entirely from the car, then remove the rubber insert from the mount. Usually a rubber mallet will knock them right out. Take the poly insert, lube it (soap works great like Nota24 said), then reinsert. If you don't have a press, it usually works to lay the poly bushing on the floor, sit the mount over it, and stand on top..your weight should pop it right in. Insert the dowels into the poly, then reinstall.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:08 PM
heres some pics to show you the upper and lower mounts.....i havent done the tranny mounts yet, but i suspect one is busted because during anything more than an easy launch, i hear a clinking sound...though after my lower mount install yesterday, it went away...(but it sounded like a driver side noise)...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:21 PM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, March 02, 2012 1:13 AM
I bought the LineZero (nearly) solid billet aluminum mount. Does anyone else have this? I'm kinda curious as to what I'm getting myself into.

1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:31 PM
So, I managed to get the two motor mounts installed. Easier than I anticipated. Now, can anyone point me to a guide on replacing the transmission inserts? I think I found one of them, but I can't find any videos online or anything about how to replace them.

1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:28 PM
Well, I found both of the mounts. The front one looks easy enough to remove. I'm guessing I just have to prop the trans up with a jack and some boards. I haven't the slightest idea how to access the rear one though. Do I need to take off the tire? Would I be doing any excessive damage to my new motor mounts if I just ran with the old trans mounts? Only replaced the front mount?

1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search