96 cavalier. need help - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 cavalier. need help
Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:47 PM
ok my cars check engine light started flashing then just staying solid and back to flashing last week so i hooked a innova 3160 scanner to it and got a po302 code but the I/M monitor icons CAT, O2S, HTR, EGR, AND EVA just keep flashing. what should i do about that because i know it has a cyl 2 misfire and i just did a compression test, cyl.1=180 cyl.2=135 cyl.3=175 cyl.4=174 and cyl. 2 held its compression so other than it being a bad valve and needing to be replaced ( might as well just rebuild the whole top end) what other things should i check for. before i commit to just breaking everything down in my garage? Im not really worrying about performance issues cause i like being able to drive about 400 miles per tank. any suggestions will be appreciated

Re: 96 cavalier. need help
Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:24 AM
Try plugs and wires first?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Re: 96 cavalier. need help
Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:32 PM
saw your post over on automotive forums too...

the flashing check engine light means that it has a severe misfire.
the flashing lights on the scanner means that the car is in failsafe mode, and those tests (o2, etc) cannot be performed until the misfire is cleared and the car is drivin a full drive cycle. sounds like bad plugs/wires, or a failing coil pack. most auto parts places can bench test the coil pack and the plate the sit on...

145k miles

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
2.2L automatic trans
146k miles
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search