3400 swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 swap
Friday, January 13, 2012 11:05 PM
OK, I have started my engine swap.
And the nightmare begins.
The donor engine is out of a 99 Oldsmobile alero I obtained the wiring harness, fuse box and the computer0. 152,000 miles
As said before the electrical part of the installation is the hardest part.
I just spent several hours trying to figure out what parts of the wiring harness to keep off the old 2.2 so I can integrate it to my 3.4 wiring harness.
So tomorrow I hope to at least get it hooked up enough to crank it over with the key.
I'm using the fuse box from the 2.2 harness.
and right now I'm not that concerned about my gauges working, just want to get it running.

If anyone has done the v6 swap any help or info would be much appreciated.
thanks

This is a low budget build. so I'm only doing what absolutely needs to be done.
My plans are to get it running, drive it until late spring when I'll pull the engine and put a new cam in it and add a turbo. then maybe some nos.
I'm also making a video of the swap and I'll post a link to youtube when the car is done.

Re: 3400 swap
Friday, January 13, 2012 11:24 PM
What year is your car?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:28 AM
For the wiring, you pretty much need to strip everything going to the motor, and cut them so that you have the most wire left to work with. There are some wires you'll leave, but none of us have made a list. You just need to look at the wiring diagrams of both vehicles and figure it out. It's not really hard once you have that in front of you.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:35 PM
IT'S A '97
I should be able to at least crank it over tomorrow after I do a little wiring.
I have to run some new fuel lines too.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:45 PM
Hey, I got it to start.

Now I need to build a lower engine mount, run some lines, and reroute the computer wiring back inside the car.
Running the wiring back inside the car is very time consuming but it needs to be done. I've got about half of the wiring done, well maybe only a third of it.
I'm actually going to start putting my video together. I might post what I have done so far IDK.

Hey I've heard the cam will break in these engines. Is that true? Also, do these engines have "nylon" or "plastic timing gears" because I've heard that as well.

Well I still have lots of work to do and it's not getting any warmer around here. the last couple times I was out working on my car it was between 30 and 40 degrees F. berrrrrr! Fking berrrrr man!

I probably won't get back to it until Friday or Saturday.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:58 AM
I don't think the timing gears are ever plastic/nylon. A lot of the engines have a guide that they use to tension the timing chain, but you won't have that on a 3400.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:13 PM
thanks SHOoff

got some vids up. to dang cold to work.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:14 PM
OK,

how do we post videos here?
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:23 PM
Go to YouTube search under "3400 engine swap"
I'm kind of making it out to be a how to video...
kind of.
also my user name is sickax
you can find my next video under "2.2 to 3.4 engine swap part two"
I have another but it's still uploading.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:45 PM
my third video is called, "cavalier 3.4 install part 3".
with more to come.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:01 PM
Oh, by the way I will not be putting a catalytic converter back on this car.
Why? You might ask.
Well they suck power from the engine unless you go with some after market high performance one which cost money
and
two it's not required by my county. NO crappy e-checks. : )

I'll also run 2.5 inch pipe and a 3 inch thrush type muffler. loud is good!

Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:43 AM
When you're posting, there's a toolbar over your box you're typing in. Click the filmstrip. Paste the address.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:22 AM
I don't know about the cam snapping problem, but I can say this. We did have a 3400 come in with spun cam bearings and the cam did snap in half, right at a lobe.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:41 AM

HELP, I'm having some trouble
It will crank and start but dies instantly. I believe I'm not getting an injector pulse signal.

My car is a 97 with a 99 Alero computer, somethings not right. obviously.
what I need to know and can't find anywhere is, which wire comes from the BCM to the PCM which carries this infamous injector pulse "signal"?
and
Do I need the BCM from the Alero to make this car run?
and
Then do I need the ignition switch and keys?

I would like to avoid buying more crap for this project. Can this signal be reproduced some other way?
I've read about bypassing the anti theft system by utilizing the three wires under the dash next to the steering column but my car is a 97 not a 99 alero, except for the computer and engine.
If I hook up all my wires going to the 2.2 computer can I use that signal wire going to the 2.2 computer if I reroute it to the 3.4 computer? and if so what wire exactly would that be?
or if someone can post a link to a really good wiring diagram for a 99 alero and 97 cavalier.
I have the Haynes manual which is only marginally helpful at best.

Does this 97 even have a BCM?

I'm just not sure how to manipulate the computer to make it run , any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:16 PM
The computer isn't telling the fuel pump relay to stay on, I had this same problem. I just wired the fuel pump into a spare fuse slot in the fuse panel.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:13 PM
I could try and jump the wires at the fuse box for the pump relay but I don't think that's the problem. thanks I'll try it anyway.

I just read somewhere; the "computer" for the security system is integrated with the gauge cluster. Is that true?
Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:53 PM
I bypassed the relay took my hot from the 50 amp fuse to run the pump and it did not work . thanks for the idea though.

I would really like to know which wire on the PCM gets the signal from the BCM. I've looked at the and I can't find it. This sucks!
Monday, January 23, 2012 8:52 PM
You need to have the pcm tuned and have the anti-theft system disabled out of the pcm that you're using.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:08 AM
3500gtp wrote:You need to have the pcm tuned and have the anti-theft system disabled out of the pcm that you're using.
Bingo.

The anti-theft will allow the car to start, but kills the injectors almost immediately.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:35 AM
OK so I need to take the computer to the dealer and they can remove the anti theft crap?
or
do I need to hook up the data link connector to the computer. remember I only have the computer wiring harness and engine from the 99 alero.

If I can't just take the computer up there and have it fixed then maybe they can pull used car off the lot and hook my computer to it and re flash the thing that way and can they then reset my rev limiter hopefully too.
yeah right! not

looks like I have to spend more money =(
maybe I should take the PCM to a place that knows what they are doing. I'll call around, thanks guys.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:55 PM
A dealer probably won't want to get into that. HP tuners is you're best option.. Get on Milzymotorsports.com, he specializes in all gm fwd cars especially 3x00 engines. He can program you're pcm to the way you want it and let him know what you're doing swap. Mike is the owner. He tunes pcms for 100 dollars with HP tuners. You wont have a top end limiter either... lol

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:02 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
3500gtp wrote:You need to have the pcm tuned and have the anti-theft system disabled out of the pcm that you're using.
Bingo.

The anti-theft will allow the car to start, but kills the injectors almost immediately.

IIRC, Kardain had to have the BCM anyways. I wonder if he's around seeing this post.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:57 AM
thanks,
I've been looking around to check out my options I would sure like to just send out the computer or swap one and pay $100.00 rather than load the car on my trailer and tow it to the local dyno shop 25 miles away and have them flash the computer.
I think I'm just ship out the computer/ trade for one that's done, thanks for the link I'll check them out.
I'm in a better mood now that some time has passed. I'm no longer discouraged by it not running. I knew this would happen. I'll just cough the extra dough and get the computer made to my specs.
Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:25 AM
SHOoff wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:
Bingo.

IIRC, Kardain had to have the BCM anyways. I wonder if he's around seeing this post.

Yeah, the antitheft couldn't be disabled on the particular PCM I am using (2001 GA)

Sometime this weekend I'll map out which BCM wires were needed, it was only 8 or so.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:20 PM
you have a 97 theres no BCM in that car so unless your swapping the dash harness for an 00+ you wont have to worry about a BCM.

just program the PCm to an 98 Oldsmobile Silhouette (minivan) they had no theft from factory

if you are swappin gthe dash harness program as an 03-04 impala for it to read the 00+ cluster

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search