Replaced engine- coolant issue. 2001 2.2 sedan - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replaced engine- coolant issue. 2001 2.2 sedan
Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:21 PM
Just replaced the engine on my little sister sedan. Engine was out of a friends car that he recently junked due to rust issues. It's got 105,000kms on it and was all reliable and ran strong in the previous car so I highly doubt head gasket/head. It's a 2001 cavalier sedan, 2.2 auto. Thermostat is on passenger side, about half way up the engine. I replaced the thermostat before installing the engine(brand new from gm).

Swapped the engine in with no issues, topped up all fluids, put half a jug of dex-cool in the overflow. Fired up the car and tried to bleed it out, no luck. The temp gauge climbs up to about 3/4 and then steam starts coming out the top of the overflow(cap off). All the hoses are cold and there is no heat coming out of the dash. I can't find any bleeder screws. I checked the metal pipe going across the front and the engine and there is nothing. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything. Any advice guys?

Re: Replaced engine- coolant issue. 2001 2.2 sedan
Friday, January 20, 2012 4:54 AM
Have someone run the car while the coolant cap is off. You stand there and watch. If the car starts to overheat, shut it off and let it cool down. The coolant level in the tank should start to rise in the tank as the engine heats up. As it approaches the top of the tank, have the car shut off. You should see it burp air out and the coolant level should drop back down at that point. Add coolant as necessary.

That's what I had to do for a buddy of mine after the shop didn't get all the air out after changing the HG on his 98 'Fire.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, January 20, 2012 7:50 AM
It's acting like it's not circulating the coolant at all. It just super heats the coolant that's in the engine itself and that's it. When it get's hot and I shut it on the coolant doesn't drop or burp at all. I checked for belt slip but there isn't anything. Possibly bad waterpump?
Monday, January 23, 2012 4:52 PM
air lock in the engine to prove its the case just losen a rad hose on the other side of the engine and see if its flowing does the 2200 not have a bleed screw on the drivers side of the head where the heatercore lines go in

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, February 03, 2012 6:57 AM
No, it has a bleed screw on the metal hose that runs along the front of the motor... which he says is missing.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Friday, February 03, 2012 7:43 AM
Yep, just gotta bleed the air out.....

Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:18 PM
Before I knew about the bleed screw, I had a similar issue with my car. It takes few times of driving the car and letting it warm up, then stopping to add more anti-freeze to bleed it.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search