LD9 harness connector identifications - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 harness connector identifications
Friday, January 20, 2012 11:18 AM
Ok, swapping a 2000+ Ld9 harness to my Eco...obviously some connectors between the two are different (as well as how they are routed), so I was just looking for some clarification of what is what. I've been browsing over the wiring diagrams of both, some are pretty obvious, others I'm second guessing myself on.

I assume this for an ABS module (I dont have ABS so there's nothing to compare to)??

Is this the ICM connector?

Is this the ld9's cam sensor plug? It's on the fuel injector harness so I assume it is

Lastly, WTF is this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: LD9 harness connector identifications
Friday, January 20, 2012 11:25 AM
First one IS abs plug. I may be heading to the shop in a bit i can maybe scoop out the boat anchor and see what one is what.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:12 PM
All the connectors are exactly what you thought. The last one plugged into the resistor for the starter relay recall.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:17 PM
Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:47 AM
And by resistor I mean relay. lol

Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:06 AM
Ok, thanks for the help so far guys. I think I have this harness pretty much identified, just a couple more questions I'm hoping you can help with...

The last pic I posted, the square connector that plugs into a start relay..can you elaborate how this is run? Where is the relay it plugs into?? What I've gathered is the purple wire that comes out of the harness that goes into the relay is the equivalent of the trigger wire on the Eco harness (ours it JUST the purple wire w/ fusable link and stops at a terminal end...goes right onto the starter solenoid post). Now for the ld9, the purple wire runs into the relay connector, then 2 red leads come back out...I assume one goes to the starter directly, but where does the other go? And how about the black wire coming directly off the plug....ground I assume?
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, can I just snip off the connector and run the fused purple wire right to my starter? I'm not sure if maybe the ld9 starters are designed differently than the eco and that's why the need for the relay. We (ecotec) have the hot wire off the alternator that bolts to the starter, then the purple trigger wire off the harness that bolts to the starter solenoid....our solenoid is part of the starter...not removable and not linked via an extra wire like some starters.

Second issue...pre-cat o2 sensor. Is this the connector?

This is the last unidentified connector, so I assume it has to be the pre cat o2, and it's a non heated one. It has a purple wire and tan wire, which would be the same color as the signal and ground wires on the ecotec (and probably ld9) heated o2 sensor. If this is the case, any insight and splicing in my existing heated o2?? My thought is to splice the signal and ground from my heated o2 sensor to the signal and ground on this harness connector, then take the 2 heater wires from the sensor and run them to a power and ground source...most likely just borrow the sources off the rear o2's harness since they are close in physical location.
Am I on the right track with that, or way off? I'd rather not run a non heated o2 as I gather it will increase the amount of time for the car to switch into closed loop, and can still result in fuel trim issues when trying to idle or decelerate.

Thank in advance

Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:42 PM
Yes that is the Primary O2 sensor connector.

I have a heated O2 sensor on my LD9. I spliced the sensor into the plug that plugs into the connector you posted. For the heater wires I took a rear O2 sensor plug (sensor side), and connected those to it and pluged it in to the rear sensor plug. I do not have a rear sensor on my car.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:26 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Yes that is the Primary O2 sensor connector.

I have a heated O2 sensor on my LD9. I spliced the sensor into the plug that plugs into the connector you posted. For the heater wires I took a rear O2 sensor plug (sensor side), and connected those to it and pluged it in to the rear sensor plug. I do not have a rear sensor on my car.

Thanks, i was hoping you'd chime in on this, lol.
I was thinking either splice the heater wires into the ones for the rear o2 or do you like and just ditch the rear and use the wires...my rear is useless anyway, all it does it throw a low efficiency code that we have turned off, lol.

One more thing (I was about to PM you)...do you know if the purple and yellow wires for the CKP are also switched on the ld9 harness (compared to the Eco) or was that just with the 2200 harness in robert's case?
Thanks again!

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:13 AM
Ok after some digging, I found out the basics for the starter relay..i assume this was a fix for the starter relay melting in the steering column from the starter being stuck??
That being said, I would guess it's ok to just clip the relay and run the fused purple trigger wire directly to the starter, as the recall fix was ld9 starter specific?

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:30 AM
The starter relay recall was for all j-bodies, 2.2 and 2.4. The problem was fixed prior to the release of the eco J's so they never got this recall.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:25 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:Yes that is the Primary O2 sensor connector.

Thanks, i was hoping you'd chime in on this, lol.
I was thinking either splice the heater wires into the ones for the rear o2 or do you like and just ditch the rear and use the wires...my rear is useless anyway, all it does it throw a low efficiency code that we have turned off, lol.

One more thing (I was about to PM you)...do you know if the purple and yellow wires for the CKP are also switched on the ld9 harness (compared to the Eco) or was that just with the 2200 harness in robert's case?
Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure you will have to switch it on the LD9 harness as well.

As for the starter relay you could cut and run that purple wire to the starter. I do nto have the recall done. I refused to have it done.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:36 PM
yay now the swap can begin, im glad my old harness is getting used in the name of modding i look forward to the finished product
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:38 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
I'm pretty sure you will have to switch it on the LD9 harness as well.

As for the starter relay you could cut and run that purple wire to the starter. I do nto have the recall done. I refused to have it done.

Ok, I was pretty sure I could just clip off the relay since the Eco starter is wired different...never hurts for a second opinion though, lol.

xtremepimpin wrote:yay now the swap can begin, im glad my old harness is getting used in the name of modding i look forward to the finished product

Hopefully the harness will be in by the end of the week, just gotta stop at the junkyard and grab a few random things.

Do you by any chance remember if there was a Crank relay and fuse in the fusebox that you may have pulled out? There's none in there (no biggie as I have tons of spares)...just curious if the pre Eco cars had those located elsewhere, or if the box was just missing them.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:58 AM
the crank relay is the one discussed above that goes on the end of that square connector. i would recommend grabbing one at the JY. its located right in the front of the car usually around the fan, no the one in front of the radiator but between the fan and radiator.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search