occasional no cranking issue - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
occasional no cranking issue
Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:02 AM
finished my 2.2 eco + auto to manual swap and the car has been running great all week, no problems. then last night i went to pull out of my dads driveway, got all the way up it, but was trying to creep it over the curb to avoid bottoming out and stalled it. clutch in back to neutral, it wouldn't crank at all. i have the clutch in to start switch bypassed, joint is soldered, but thats what it seems like. pushed it back forward down the driveway and roll started no problem. parked it and shut it off and tried starting, nothing. at this point my wife is freaking out that we'd be late for the Jason Aldean concert, so we took the Yukon, got back to my parents to pick up car or steal my dads if mine didn't start, and of course it starts right up like nothing was ever wrong. this morning 5:00 start it, no prob, head off to work, stop for gas, finished pumping wouldn't start again, nice guy help me give it a push and roll started and off to work i went. the first few days of learning stick i had to have stalled it 50 times not getting the clutch all the way down or whatever. start right back up and no problems. it seems like the comp thinks the car is in gear, because the running lights turn on, and they usually don't until you're in gear or moving, so this is an indicator, but not sure whats causing this. any ideas?

Re: occasional no cranking issue
Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:08 AM
If I was you, I would wire the purple wire on your starter to the yellow wire on the ignition switch, with a relay, however, those were the wires on my car, yours should be the same but there is a chance I guess that they are not.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:28 AM
i swapped dash harness so i have purple and yellow, cut off connector and soldered wires together heat shrunk. can't be an issue with this joint.
Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:18 AM
Make sure you are getting power on that wire with the key in start, when the car won't start of course. If you are, I would check the engine ground and make sure the wire are tight on the starter. If they are good try taping on the starter with the key in the start position, it could be a bad starter.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:49 PM
My car was doing this. I found that there was a bad ground for my starter relay that they put in under recall.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:35 PM
I wiggled the relay in the fuse box seems good now. Bad contacts, maybe from sitting awhile
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search