oil light? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil light?
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:12 PM
02 cavy 2200 5 speed. oil light comes on at idle if i just bump the throttle it goes off even at like 1200 rpm its weird i dont get it. anybody have any ideas. oil pressure? or is it just cause it has 150,000miles on it? cam bearings letting oil pressure out. idk let me know what you guys think. and also where on the 2200 can i hook up a manual oil pressure guage? do youns think its a good idea to get an aftermarket oil pressure guage? thankks

Re: oil light?
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:21 PM
Mechanical will let oil inside the cabin....... be careful.

Electric will use a sender in the engine bay and will transffer the signal to the guage, this is the way most go.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:54 PM
Mine has done this for the last 40K miles, which is as long as I've owned it. It has 279K on it. I just attribute it to being an old ass motor. The light will only come on after I've been driving for about 20-30 mins on the highway, then get off. If I drive for an hour or longer, it doesn't come on. Like yours, it goes away as soon as you (barely) tap the throttle.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:10 PM
most likely oil pump. mine did the same. with rotella it wouldn't come on, but that was just to get me by till i swapped it.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:09 AM
haha ill drive till it blows then possibly swap
Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:20 PM
I had same problem, spun a bearing shortly after. It started with the oil light coming on at stop lights in gear.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:19 AM
so it stopped and my water light came on? low on water so filed it up here ifound the red cap that goes over the battery terminal fell off and cut it even through the plastice protector thats on it. the red cap went in between the battery tray and the hose. what a day that was. but so now all lights have been out. its weird i dont get it
Friday, February 03, 2012 6:56 AM
Welcome to the world of Cavaliers.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Friday, February 03, 2012 3:45 PM
yup lol it has been a great reliable car but when someting happends its usually bad or at a bad time but thats any car. im lookin into something boosted from the factory. srt4 talon wrx.. etc i dont see my cavy being worth boosting
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:45 PM
I would test the oil pressure on the car or put a new oil sending unit in it. They're cheap.. Usually if they leak oil they won't read properly.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search