Won't start with out using starter fluid - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Won't start with out using starter fluid
Friday, February 17, 2012 8:18 PM
ok, so I have a 1999 Cavalier Z24. It has almost 105,000 miles on it. Automatic.

I literally just got this car yesterday. The guys said it ran fine. The guy I had go pick up the car had no problem starting, loading, and then unloading the car at my house.

I pulled the car into my garage and looked it over to see what needed fixed/repaired/addressed.

I then drove it to my local Chevy dealer to get a few parts ordered for the car. Drove it home with no issues other than the occasional rough idle when stopped.

The wife drove the car to go get the inspection, title, and plates for the car. Again, no problems other than the rough idle.

She took one more trip (2miles) when the car would start when she came back out from the store. She finally got it started and brought it home. I couldn't get the car to start after she shut it off. I then started reading on here about Passlock and all the other rough idle issues and such, but what I didn't see is an explanation as to why the car will start with a bunch of starter fluid sprayed into the air filter only.

Once running, the car revs and responds to throttle input fine, but will not restart with out a long shot of starter fluid.

I hear the fuel pump kick on and run when the key is turned.

Re: Won't start with out using starter fluid
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:45 AM
Coil packs or cracked coil housing

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:46 AM
Or fuel pressure

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:54 AM
What would a cracked coil housing have to do with it starting with starter fluid?

Not disagreeing, just don't see the logic, but then again after reading the problems these motors are plagued with, I guess there is no logic.

I started the car using starter fluid this morning, drove about 1 mile and now the car is starting without starter fluid.... go figure....

I am going to drive it for a 50 miles today, stopping and starting..... I will be taking the starter fluid...lol

Any additional help and suggestions would be great.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:12 AM
Start with the basics... give it a tune up. New plugs, wires, and filters.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:06 PM
ok, by wires do you mean the little boot things? The 2.4 Z24 doesn't have wires. Air filter & Plugs looked ok, but I will head there next if the following doesn't solve the problem.

Just an update, I went out and did some driving. shut the car off 3 times had to give it a shot of starter fluid two of the three times.

Getting ready to replace the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator.

Again, thanks for the help thus far.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:59 PM
first thing i'd do is a fuel pressure test. no use in buying parts to throw at it for things that wouldn't cause the symptoms you're describing.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:19 PM
Ya, I agree. I only bought a couple things that the manual suggested could be the problem.

So far I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, it seems to be starting every time now.
We'll see if I need to replace the fuel filter. I hate touching those lines. So brittle, I just did the fuel filter on my daughters 2000 cavalier. I thought for sure that line was going to brake.

I have them soaked in PB blaster right now, in hopes it comes apart as easy as my daughters.
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:44 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:first thing i'd do is a fuel pressure test. no use in buying parts to throw at it for things that wouldn't cause the symptoms you're describing.

Well, I don't know how to do a pressure test.... I guess I will have to look into that because the car is acting up again.

I went out and the car didn't start right up, I had to hit the pedal. Then when we got ready to leave Church, I had to give it a shot of starter fluid AND hit the pedal.. weird
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:57 AM
If you need ether to start the car then it is definitely a fuel issue. However, i cant think of anything else besides bad injectors that would cause your issues.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:00 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:If you need ether to start the car then it is definitely a fuel issue. However, i cant think of anything else besides bad injectors that would cause your issues.

I was thinking the same thing, but don't understand why the car runs fine once started, I mean it runs REAL GOOD. I punch the gas and it takes off, even chirps the tires... runs to redline strong and shifts smooth and continues pulling.

So weird...

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:44 PM
if the fuel pump is weak, it will run better with a full tank, not so good with an empty tank

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:22 PM
john beers aka thebondoman wrote:if the fuel pump is weak, it will run better with a full tank, not so good with an empty tank

Good to know, I have had between half and it is now full..

I just don't understand why it will start every time I shoot it with starting fluid and it runs GREAT once started. Other than the kinda rough idle.

I would have thought if the fuel pump was going bad or was weak, it wouldn't run as hard or good on the highway..

I just put a multimeter on my injectors. Supposedly they are suppose to red between 11.4 to 12.6 ohms. the only setting I could get the multimeter to give me anything showed between 12.9 & 13.3. I don't really know how to use the thing anyways, so it could be user error..... lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search