96 2.2 Rev Limiter - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 2.2 Rev Limiter
Saturday, March 03, 2012 4:56 PM
I would love to remove the rev limiter on my 96 cavalier, The car is going to be used off-road, so dont bust on me. I would do it in HP Tuner's, but I rather not spend 2 credits on the car, when its going to be junked in a month anyways. Plus HP Tuner's doesn't support the 96 ECU anyways. Any advice? I dont care about anything on this car, trust me, its junk. If you don't want the noobs seeing how to do it, that's fine also, just send me a PM....

Re: 96 2.2 Rev Limiter
Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:26 PM
there's no reason whatsoever to do this. there is no power to be had up there, and anything north of the stock rev limit would only result in valve float anyway.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:47 PM
I understand what your saying Rich, but I would like to know how to do it. Considering that I have HP Tuner's to tune 2 of my other car's, and built motor's before, I already know about the valve float issue that may occur. I also understand that removing a rev limiter on a stock motor is unnecessary. The car is getting junked, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it runs, if its seized, if it has a hole in the block, it really doesn't matter at all. This is for experimentation purposes, and is being used off road. The motor is decent, and its not completely stock.

Its not like im asking about removing the speed limiter..... which I must agree is a waste in a car especially like this, without a ton of modification's and or suspension upgrades. That's asking for a death trip in a stock J....

Like I said, if it bother's you to post this, considering the noobies that might not understand what a rev limiter is for, just PM me the information.
Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:15 PM
without changing it in the pcm, you cannot.

Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:18 PM
with the 96 pcm, what tools can be used to flash it?
Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:26 PM
there are none. you would have to swap the pcm and bay wiring harness to 97+ for HPT, or 95 for moates emu.

Monday, March 05, 2012 3:16 PM
A failing ICM can cause hondas to not have a limit, wont work that way on the gm though. I can't think of anyway to do it with what you have without the motor not being able to run.

I would think that if you could "cut" the crank sensor signal in half, you could rev double, but the car wouldn't run.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, March 05, 2012 7:58 PM
Well, isn't there a trick with the 4t40 that kills the 4000 limiter when it isn't in gear? Doubt anything along those lines would work, but if its junk anyway, just start unplugging sensors.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:38 AM
Oedwards wrote:A failing ICM can cause hondas to not have a limit, wont work that way on the gm though. I can't think of anyway to do it with what you have without the motor not being able to run.

I would think that if you could "cut" the crank sensor signal in half, you could rev double, but the car wouldn't run.

I know how.

To rev limit the car it does a fuel cutoff, not ignition. So you could hook up an inline switch and run it to the ground side of all your injectors. Turn the switch on, and rev to a million if you can.

Down side to this is that A) You'll blow it up most likely B) Your fuel injectors will be open all the time and you'll pour gas through it pretty fast.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:19 AM
You forgot C) nobody will probably record it for the rest of us to watch and laugh

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:27 AM
Haha, true.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search