Starter doesn't engage the flywheel fully / 97 Cavalier Z24 5sp - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter doesn't engage the flywheel fully / 97 Cavalier Z24 5sp
Friday, March 02, 2012 3:11 AM
Ugh, I'm starting to think I need to win the lottery to get this car fixed.

So, when I go to start my car (97 cav z24 5sp), it doesn't usually catch long enough to start the car. It'll turn it for half a second, then all it does is wind out the starter. At which point I have to wait for the spinning to stop, and try it again. A couple hours ago, it took about 15 times doing this before it started.

I'm just wondering if this is more than likely the flywheel. Are there any easy fixes? I'm guessing I'm going to have to buy a new flywheel, and like everything else that's broken, I don't want to put stock parts back into it, I'd like to upgrade since I'm going to have the whole thing apart. Fidanza flywheels are around 300 dollars online. Does anyone have any parts suggestions? Also, how difficult is it to replace the flywheel?

As always, any help is really appreciated. You guys are about my only source of info, and have been a big help already. Thanks.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual

Re: Starter doesn't engage the flywheel fully / 97 Cavalier Z24 5sp
Friday, March 02, 2012 12:03 PM
Sounds like the solenoid is bad on the starter. How bout putting in a new starter?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, March 02, 2012 2:37 PM
You need a new starter.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 05, 2012 11:56 AM
A new starter sounds like it'd be a lot more fun to do! Thanks for the heads up.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search