Can you use a engine crane to lower motor+trans+cradle? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can you use a engine crane to lower motor+trans+cradle?
Monday, February 27, 2012 12:00 AM
Hey,

I've got a clutch slave job to do wednesday on a 95 sunfire in a driveway, and want to remove the trans as safely as possible. My plan is to jack the car up as high as possible, and use a engine hoist to lower the motor+trans on the cradle to the ground before i split the case. Does that sound possible? I think it would be easier to control the weight and line it back up after im done. Also I'm curious as to if theres any special tools/technique required to disconnect the hydraulic line to the slave cyl.

Thanks,

Aaron

Re: Can you use a engine crane to lower motor+trans+cradle?
Monday, February 27, 2012 7:45 AM
Since our cradle is not connected to the drivetrain other than the dogbone under the engine, lowering as an assembly isn't as simple as it sounds. The engine is mounted entirely to the vehicle's frame rails.

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:30 PM
So if removed the hood and fan shroud i could squeeze the motor+trans pas the brake master through the top with my engine hoist? Probably just need an assistant to stabilize it since one side of the assembly is probably heavier
Monday, February 27, 2012 1:14 PM
well when we had to swap the trans on our one project what my friend started was he removed and lowered the subframe with floor jacks and then pushed it back under the car then we used a hoist to lower the engine off its mounts and down to where we can slide the trans out n off. then just reversed it all. this way no ac,coolant, gas, wires etc had to be removed from the engine sides of coarse the trans sections. two of us a couple hrs but was easier then pulling the whole motor out and bleeding everything and recharging the ac ect.

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:27 PM
i just did the clutch slave cylinder in my 96 cavalier its easier than it looks take driver side supension off loose out of way and slide trans out towards driver side it took me about 6 hrs by myself having never done it before
Monday, February 27, 2012 2:03 PM
It is very possible, just remove the upper mounts and trans mounts, and lower the subframe and there ya go.

or you can just remove the axles and slide the trans out
Monday, February 27, 2012 6:30 PM
thats the only way i remove j body engines its out the top

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:10 AM
why are you trying to take the engine out with the transmission to change the slave? just drop the trans, leave the engine in place.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:21 AM
You definitely don't want to start pulling the engine up to remove the transmission. There is a thread somewhere on here that shows a small amount you can grind off the front of the subframe on the drivers side which will give you just enough room to sneak the transmission out without even lowering the subframe, But ideally lowering the subframe is the way to go. It's not that big of a deal, and you don't even need to fully remove it. Just lower it enough to gain the clearance you need.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:53 AM
I drop everything out the bottom. Much easier if you have the correct tools and space.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:08 AM
^^^ The only misleading thing about those pics is it appears that the engine and transmission are mounted to the subframe, which they are definitely not.

But Mikey, while you've got that all out of there, why not throw a V6 in it?

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:29 AM
Its as mounted to the subframe as it would be inside the car. Dogbone is still in haha.

This was my 5spd sedan. Give me mounts and ill 6 the coupe all day buddy

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:56 AM
That is how I did my ECO Swap... I just hate dealing with those body bolts..... my 95's came out fine and the 2004 sunfire came out all except 1 bolt and that one snapped inside the car.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:26 PM
holy crap you took all that crap off to get the engine out. a 2.2 ohv was that torn apart i leave it intact and pull it the top. leave bumpers and stuff on. remove the hood couple mounts done. i had to replace the 3800 and i did it from the top too. i have done it wil the bumper and rad out with a friend of mine but if your just changing an engine and trans and not doin a swap then why do all tha textra work just pull up on the motor pully side more and the weight of the trans will keep it down and it will slide right out the top on an angle

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:49 PM
he just needs to get the transmission out, a little grinding on the sub frame and it will come out through the bottom.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:56 PM
No need to remove anything other than the suspension components. I've had the trans out multiple times without touching the subframe or engine.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:08 PM
Sorry for not following up but i'd just like to throw a big THANK YOU to everyone who posted. I ended up getting it out with a bit of a struggle with a friend without cutting the frame. What i did is used my cherry picker to support the engine by the hook, and had someone pull the motor back and forth to make enough clearance to pull the tranny. getting it back in was alot easier for some reason and only took about ten minutes haha.

The only problem now is i can't get the not so quick connect to engage in the new slave fitting. Any ideas on how to get enough preassure or leverage to pop in the new fitting? The collar is in the correct posistion and everything looks pretty fresh (no damage on the fittings)

Thanks,

Aaron
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search