Are the guts for the alternator the same in the 2200 and ld9? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Are the guts for the alternator the same in the 2200 and ld9?
Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:17 PM
I have a 2000 2200 cavafire that I am doing a v6 swap to it this summer but I have to put it on the road this right now because I spun a rod bearing on the 99 sunfire 2.4l.
I dont want to buy an alternator for it to be in use for 2 months. I can switch the guts over if they fit. while the 2.4 is out I am going to mach up the engine in it so i can build the mounts. and do the swap in a wekend. are the guts the same in the 2.4L and 2200?

Re: Are the guts for the alternator the same in the 2200 and ld9?
Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:37 PM
if I dont get an answer today I am going to attempt it tomorrow I have nothing to lose anyways
Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:42 AM
both are CS130D units that are the same amperage, 105. Ive had them apart in the past and they are iirc.
Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:33 PM
regulator is different from memory. i think thats it, but it's been 4 years since I've done any auto electric stuff.

I need a new sig.
Monday, March 19, 2012 12:28 PM
^ Regulator is probably what's bad in it too.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, March 19, 2012 5:45 PM
regulator should be the same, as the rectifier and rest of everything. the difference comes in the case. all the internals (rotor, stator, rectifier/diode trio, brush pack, voltage regulator) should be the exact same.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:02 AM
Uhm? Brush pack? It's 3 phase AC, shouldn't be any brushes in there.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:10 AM
Now that I look, there is. Looks like one holder with just 2 small brushes in it?

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:37 PM
They were the same but when I switched it over the alternator had a dead short in it so I decided to get it rebuilt at a store in town for $160 i got it rebuilt with a 150amp put out thank for the info anyways. now I got the car running the fuel lines started leaking just my luck but I am just going to make new nylon fuel lines for it. the car was parked for the winter so I am sure I will find some more Issues before I do the v6 swap.
Thank you.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:18 PM
SHOoff wrote:Now that I look, there is. Looks like one holder with just 2 small brushes in it?

there is. i remember that part of it fairly well. drove me bat@!#$ insane when the little pin holding them back would fall out before I got to put it fully together, lol.

I need a new sig.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search