Should I worry about this - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Should I worry about this
Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:28 PM
I know I have a leaky oil drain plug, but for some reason I notice there is also a just a covering of oil on the transmission side of the oil pan on the side and the bottom of it. I believe it is oil because it felt oily and was black, but still not sure if it is or not. I have noticed for at least a couple oil changes but the oil doesn't ever go down. I do know it is a quart over what is suppose to have which is 4 quarts. Please Help me figure out what this is. Please and Thank You!

2002 Chevy Cavalier Coupe 2200 SFI 5SPD Manual with 91450 miles.
Oil changed: 89616 miles with Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series and Amsoil oil filter.

Re: Should I worry about this
Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:28 PM
I will comment to this, you never said if it was 5speed or auto. How ever based on your description it sounds like the rear main seal leaking. Which could be due to setting based on the miles or a number of things. How ever both my 2200s are auto with well over 140k and the one leaks a little around the valve cover. The ones I have seen leaking generally are the 5speeds. Not sure if the 2200 or even ld9 is bad for it. But I have personally seen rear main seals leak from the crank walking due to pressing the clutch in and out. I have also seen dumping or launching hard take a toll on the rear main bearing. As it is the where the most load is.

As to if it should hurt the motor, honestly no. Unless of course it starts pouring oil out or you let the oil level get low. I will say you could have a leak from elsewhere running down there. So it is really a guessing game what may be leaking. Also to note even though it calls for 4 quarts, out of the 2 I own. Followed by several I have worked on, it actually takes 4 1/2 to fill them up. As if you poured 4 in it and never started it. The filter was more then likely dry. That or having a cheap filter without the drain back valve in it will cause the oil level to show correct. In which the only filter off my head without one is the cheap orange fram. It wouldn't really be a problem if it weren't for the oil filter location on the ln2 and ld9 being on the side of the block.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:22 AM
Why not get a new gasket for your drain plug next time you change oil?

Seeing oil on that trans is probably somewhat normal on a high mileage car. My suggestion would be to fix that drain plug, then see if you're still leaving a puddle on the ground.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:56 AM
2fast4u88 wrote:I will comment to this, you never said if it was 5speed or auto. How ever based on your description it sounds like the rear main seal leaking. Which could be due to setting based on the miles or a number of things. How ever both my 2200s are auto with well over 140k and the one leaks a little around the valve cover. The ones I have seen leaking generally are the 5speeds. Not sure if the 2200 or even ld9 is bad for it. But I have personally seen rear main seals leak from the crank walking due to pressing the clutch in and out. I have also seen dumping or launching hard take a toll on the rear main bearing. As it is the where the most load is.

As to if it should hurt the motor, honestly no. Unless of course it starts pouring oil out or you let the oil level get low. I will say you could have a leak from elsewhere running down there. So it is really a guessing game what may be leaking. Also to note even though it calls for 4 quarts, out of the 2 I own. Followed by several I have worked on, it actually takes 4 1/2 to fill them up. As if you poured 4 in it and never started it. The filter was more then likely dry. That or having a cheap filter without the drain back valve in it will cause the oil level to show correct. In which the only filter off my head without one is the cheap orange fram. It wouldn't really be a problem if it weren't for the oil filter location on the ln2 and ld9 being on the side of the block.

It is a 5 speed manual

SHOoff wrote:Why not get a new gasket for your drain plug next time you change oil?

Seeing oil on that trans is probably somewhat normal on a high mileage car. My suggestion would be to fix that drain plug, then see if you're still leaving a puddle on the ground.

I did put a new drain plug on it and it is not leaking enough on either spot to drip, just enough to coat a small spot in oil. It's very wierd and I did wipe the one on the side of the oil pan by the transmission clean where I could reach and has not come back yet.

Oil changed: 89616 miles with Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series and Amsoil oil filter.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:13 AM
I wouldn't worry about it then. There's plenty of grime that gets kicked up off the road and coats everything real nice, if the spot isn't coming back I wouldn't say it's anything.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:14 AM
SHOoff wrote:I wouldn't worry about it then. There's plenty of grime that gets kicked up off the road and coats everything real nice, if the spot isn't coming back I wouldn't say it's anything.
Yeah it has not been coming back I cleaned it up a few days ago now and hasn't come back it was on that side of the oil pan, but couldn't really see how far it went up cause I did not have a flash light, but I think you are right though.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:16 AM
Thanks a bunch for the help. I will keep an eye on it still, just to see what happens for a couple more weeks.

Friday, April 06, 2012 7:25 PM
Check the back of the motor around cylinder number 4 below the head. These motors are notorious for leaky head gaskets there.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:52 AM
Kody LaGreca wrote:Check the back of the motor around cylinder number 4 below the head. These motors are notorious for leaky head gaskets there.
I cleaned the spot off and it hasn't showed back up and the oil level has not gone down on the dipstick at all, also my coolant is clear and the oil is not looking like a chocolate milkshake.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:17 PM
I agree nothing to worry about, shooff has a good point with road grime as well. How ever I haven't really seen that being real bad. Also comes the point if you have a leak of anything. With the fan kicking on and driving around causing wind to blow around in the engine bay. It blows stuff around a good bit, to places you wouldn't even expect. How ever I would assume still the rear main seal just leaking a bit to give it a sticky coat for grime to stick to. Nothing to really worry about though if you said it hasn't come back.

Also the only time I have ever seen oil leak from the head area on a 2200, is the notorious valve cover gasket.
Monday, April 09, 2012 11:43 AM
I know I definitely do not have a valve gasket leak because I check the engine all the time just about or whenever the weather is good too. I try to check it obsessively almost. LOL

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search