how to tell if an engine was swapped in a 04 Cavalier as well as crate engines burning e85 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how to tell if an engine was swapped in a 04 Cavalier as well as crate engines burning e85
Saturday, April 21, 2012 8:56 AM
I recently bought a 5sp cavalier and the guy I bought it from said the car had a new engine and tranny. Don't get me wrong the car is fast and outran my gf V6 Camry but I just want to know if there is a way to know for sure. He also said since the engine was a 2.2 Ecotec crate that it could burn e85 ethonol since as stated by him the only crate options all burned flex fuel can somebody give me some clarification?

Re: how to tell if an engine was swapped in a 04 Cavalier as well as crate engines burning e85
Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:18 AM
might be able to get more info from the guys at crate engine depot.

Re: how to tell if an engine was swapped in a 04 Cavalier as well as crate engines burning e85
Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:41 AM
That a website or a store? Do they have a number
Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:44 AM
i doubt that it can burn e85 seeing as it still needs tuning for it, and why would anyone pay for a crate engine for an 04 cavalier to run e85

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:57 AM
Plus the fuel supply needs to be changed for the corrosive fuel...does all that look stock? If they didn't change the lines, I doubt they paid for a crate engine to run on diff fuel
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:27 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:i doubt that it can burn e85 seeing as it still needs tuning for it, and why would anyone pay for a crate engine for an 04 cavalier to run e85

It probably can burn E85. All J-body engines can probably burn E85. The difference to run E85 isn't really in the engine. It's Fuel sytstem and software that does the trick. I think they're just using it as a BS reason to try to sell the engine.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:26 AM
yeah the fuel system, and the gaskets have to be able to take the corrosives of the type of fuel, E85, Alcohol, Methanol, etc

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:32 AM
No year J-bodies can "safely" run E85 on the stock or tuned factory PCM. You can make a J-body run on E85 with some trickery and tuning, but it really in no way shape or form the "correct" way to run E85.

The factory "RPO Code L61" 2.2l Ecotec PCM is missing the tables and sensors to safely run E85. The PCM has no way of telling what grade of E85 it is burning. IE....how much gasoline is in with the ethanol. If you tune it / band aid it.....it will only be tuned for that blend, and since ethanol is really 51%-81% ethanol your tune can be far to lean or far to rich depending on what time of year you get your E85. Click me for a GREAT E85 read.

Additionally....ALL FLEX FUEL "RPO Code: LE8" 2.2 ecotec motors have a different trigger wheel on the crank, and CAN not run on the factory PCM without an external crank trigger wheel, or modify and install a new trigger wheel on the crank. No one has done the latter to my knowledge.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:49 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, April 27, 2012 8:55 AM
After looking back at the emails he said it was "tuned" to run e85 and he's used some before so I guess my next question is how long can I run this stuff before it messes up my fuel system? And what are the dangers of running it
Friday, April 27, 2012 6:34 PM
impossible seeing as the ecotec pcm is missing the stable to tune E85 unless this guy knows something we don't know which i find hard to beileve or if its running a standalone system which i doubt

i think he fed you a line of BS

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:35 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:i think he fed you a line of BS

This.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search