04 Ball joint and hub bearing repairhelp - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Ball joint and hub bearing repairhelp
Friday, May 04, 2012 4:54 PM
My passenger side wheel bearing is grinding really bad anybody know how to change it out or the hub bearing anyways? Also my drivers side lower ball joint is loose can anybody tell me how to change it as well?

Re: 04 Ball joint and hub bearing repairhelp
Saturday, May 05, 2012 5:59 AM
For the hub/bearing.

Remove wheel.
Remove axle nut (30mm) and push the axle back out of the hub a bit
Remove caliper
Remove rotor
Remove 3 bolts holding the hub
Probably beat on it with a hammer, and it'll fall off.

I thought AutoZone's web site had service manuals on there.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, May 05, 2012 7:06 PM
The ball joint if I remember right since switching to the aluminum ones. That the stockers are held in with 3 rivets between two stamped ears on the control arm. You have to take the cotter pin out of the nut for the ball joint, then I believe it is a 15mm nut. Once removed I always beat on the side of the knuckle that surrounds the ball joint stud. Where it has always popped out for me while using a pry bar to pull down on the control arm. How ever you can use a ball joint fork if you want to instead. If your car has the front sway bar you will also have to undo the sway bar end link.

Once you get it popped loose, I would pull the two control arm bolts out and remove the control arm. As you will need to drill the rivets out of the stock ball joint, then use the bolts with the new one to re-install it. The over all process isn't hard if you have the tools to do it, where I don't expect it to take no longer than two hours for a first time.
Saturday, May 05, 2012 10:16 PM
you can use air chisel hammer to cut the rivet heads off, on the car

thats what i do

sometimes the bearing hub assembly can be a royal PITA to get off the spindle due to corrosion

if it wont then i also use the air chisel hammer to wedge it out of the spindle bearing hub hole

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Sunday, May 06, 2012 6:19 AM
fast68chevy wrote:you can use air chisel hammer to cut the rivet heads off, on the car

thats what i do

sometimes the bearing hub assembly can be a royal PITA to get off the spindle due to corrosion

if it wont then i also use the air chisel hammer to wedge it out of the spindle bearing hub hole

This if you have air tools.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search