1999 convertible Sunfire GT only 8k miles!? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1999 convertible Sunfire GT only 8k miles!?
Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:47 AM
I came across this car locally and was wondering what the general opinion was on the asking price for it.
They want 12,000$ for this 99 GT convertible. Normally i'd laugh at that price but theres only 8000 miles on it and its literally in mint condition with really nice wheels and the interior trim matches the top, and the ram air hood and front end conversion. Personally I think $7000-8000 would be the 'fair' price. What do you guys think? Worth the money or pass? If you'd pass, how much would you think is reasonable?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/2999127053.html

Re: 1999 convertible Sunfire GT only 8k miles!?
Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:55 AM
If its being sold by a dealer, that's why they want so much. According to compnine, it is one of 2 like it.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 2:43 PM
Low miles, nice. But way to much.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:54 PM
The 99's had digital odometers?
Sunday, May 06, 2012 5:43 PM
Idk about the whole year, but at least 1/2 did. 99+ was when they went digital, same year they deleted the EGR and changed the injectors and CR on the 2.4 and if im not mistaken thats also when they stopped the radio controls and changed to the other radio/stereo system.

Idk Colt, it seems high ever for out here. Usually dealers have no problem starting at Blue book and negotiating dow from there. But no matter what I do, I can't get the bluebook to show a value of more than 9000$ so thats why I asked here where people would know a little better. But on a side note, I didn't know they did interior like this from the factory. apparently only 4xx cars got 'Arctic White' trim. It makes me curious what other trims and small overlooked options are out there.
Sunday, May 06, 2012 5:46 PM
Yep, mileage was still stored in the cluster instead of the BCM in 00+

Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:08 PM
Its too high of a price, but it is a nice car. If you could get them to drop the price on it, buy it.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:17 PM
I already have 3 well... 2.75 lol. I thought about it though. I just doubt theyd drop 5k off the price for me to be willing to step up, or hell of a trade in on my white one(which only books for like 2k lol) Def the nicest 'near stock' one i've seen locally in awhile though, and by far the lowest mileage ive seen not wrecked.
I'm curious whose it was lol no way somebody paid for all those extras and didn't drive it.
Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:33 PM
My 98 had digital dash. 12k is way to much. you can get a brand new '10 with 500 miles for that price.
Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:46 PM
i just changed my name wrote:My 98 had digital dash. 12k is way to much. you can get a brand new '10 with 500 miles for that price.

Maybe if you want to be unamerican and buy Kia or Hyundai from Korea lol I think 15k is probably the lowest you could get a decent economy car for that hasn't been owned yet. Keep in mind all of those attractive prices you see on TV and on the windshield assume you have 2-3000$ in cash or trade. Read the really small print lol usually the last thing all the way at the bottom.
Monday, May 07, 2012 3:44 AM
Looks like they need to drop a couple grand off the price based on those wheels....

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Monday, May 07, 2012 2:07 PM
I kinda like those wheels lol. I doubt that its more than a $600 set though(in 99 when they were new) But seriously, put some white walls on to match the top and bright red calipers and drums behind em??? aww yea. haha
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:24 AM
Cadillacin wrote:
i just changed my name wrote:My 98 had digital dash. 12k is way to much. you can get a brand new '10 with 500 miles for that price.

Maybe if you want to be unamerican and buy Kia or Hyundai from Korea lol I think 15k is probably the lowest you could get a decent economy car for that hasn't been owned yet. Keep in mind all of those attractive prices you see on TV and on the windshield assume you have 2-3000$ in cash or trade. Read the really small print lol usually the last thing all the way at the bottom.

car prices must be crazy where you live. Last fall my little sister just bought a leftover malibu from 10 and paid just shy of 10k yes she did have 2500 down plus tax and title. but if you are financing a car you probably want to have something down anyway. also being a 4th generation GM employee, like myself, wouldnt even buy anything new unless it was a GM.
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:43 AM
I wouldn't pay top dollar for something that's got a different front end on it. It just makes me ask... why does it have a 2000 front bumper instead of the stock one? What did they hit?
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:51 AM
The 2012 Malibus are starting at about 16-17,000(plus 3000 trade/cash) for base models around here. Though personally I wouldn't drive a Malibu if it were free. If I were to get a new GM it'd probably be an Impala for a practical pick. Though to your/their credit they are selling Sonics and Sparks starting at like 11k which i was unaware of. So They do have cheaper entry level economy cars.

Idk how much a 10 would be, but if she got it when they were lot clearing for the next year I wouldn't be surprised. How many miles were on it when she bought it?
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:46 PM
Cars that old with so few miles on it was probably not driven for a long period. That's not good for hoses, gaskets, batteries, tires, and other parts that can dry out and crack. There are a lot of motor homes that old people bought new -- then only went on one or two trips. For some reason, death or disability, they keep it parked for years. They look good but as soon as it's sold parts start coming unglued. They will usually break down before another thousand miles are clocked.
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 5:27 PM
It's definitely a nice looking Sunfire, except for the wheels and the exhaust, but my first thought when seeing the pictures was exactly what John said, "Why did they swap front ends?" Yeah, it might have just been because they wanted to, but it also could have been because they had to i.e. an accident. It's nice, but it's definitely not worth anywhere near $12,000.00.

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:36 AM
post has been deleted so i cant see pics....but id say even $5k would be a stretch for a 15 year old economy car, regardless of mileage.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:24 AM
THIS POST CAN BE DELETED FROM THE FORUM AS THE AD FOR DISCUSSION HAS BEN DELETED.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search