Engine swap, need some advice, - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine swap, need some advice,
Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:16 PM
I'm having alittle bit of trouble with my recent project. I have a 1995 chevy cavalier with a lifter the exploded. I bought a 1998 cavalier from an insurance auction for $600 and it's running, except the body is damaged. I can see noticeable differences in the two engines but what will have to have to do to make the 1998 2.2 ohv work in the 1995 which also had the same 2.2 engine. As of right now I can see that the intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, egr and harness are all different. Does all the needed to be changed or should I just swap engine harness and PCM and fuel line?

Re: Engine swap, need some advice,
Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:02 PM
You will have to swap wiring from front to back, then swap cluster, fuel pump, PCM, coil packs, and all accessories on the motor. The good news... you can use which ever transmission you want as long as they are both either 4 speeds or 3 speeds. lol. The biggest complication is the fuel system between the two. Most other things could be adapted... if it was not a 1995 your trying to swap into, but swapping the wiring harness from the 98 into the 95 is the only way around it...

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:50 PM
people that know nothing should shut up^^^^^

the 98 motor will run in a 95 there are a few plugs that may be different but with a schematic and pin out sheet you should see what needs to be changed

first off 95 have vacuum EGRS 98s have electric you either delete EGR (pending laws in your area) or swap the 95 style EGR to the 98 motor

2nd is the 98 motor has a cam position sensor (CPS) 95 didn't have this so this will not get plugged in not a problem because the 95 computer wont be looking for it.

swapping the wiring front to back isnt needed seeing as there basicly the same anyway most of the changes from 95 up happened computer wise taillight and fuel pump wiring don't change through the years until BCM (body control moduals) com into play but thats 00+ cars

both 95 and 98 gauges read the exact same way except some 98 had a digital odometer with is still controled by the cluster itself

it would be an easyier swap if it were a 96-97 motor as plugs would be the same

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, April 30, 2012 4:24 PM
Alright I see what you mean, repin the connectors that are different from the 95 and 98 engine, now what about the coil pack and intake manifold? Would I have to swap out the fuel pump/lines or just swap manifolds overs? The coil pack is also located on the rear of the engine near the oil pan on the 95 the 98 its located at the top of the engine, so could I just rewire the connector so its now on top the engine? I have access to ondemand5.com so wiring and schematics are not an issue.
Monday, April 30, 2012 7:52 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:people that know nothing should shut up^^^^^

the 98 motor will run in a 95 there are a few plugs that may be different but with a schematic and pin out sheet you should see what needs to be changed

first off 95 have vacuum EGRS 98s have electric you either delete EGR (pending laws in your area) or swap the 95 style EGR to the 98 motor

2nd is the 98 motor has a cam position sensor (CPS) 95 didn't have this so this will not get plugged in not a problem because the 95 computer wont be looking for it.

swapping the wiring front to back isnt needed seeing as there basicly the same anyway most of the changes from 95 up happened computer wise taillight and fuel pump wiring don't change through the years until BCM (body control moduals) com into play but thats 00+ cars

both 95 and 98 gauges read the exact same way except some 98 had a digital odometer with is still controled by the cluster itself

it would be an easyier swap if it were a 96-97 motor as plugs would be the same

Ha, I do know what I am talking about since I own a 95 and a 97. Secondly, I am not going to shutup. If you wanted to inform me to another way, then that was really all you had to say. The wiring between the two years are different in the fuel pumps,(and a lot of other places) along with a couple of the signals going to the cluster. I can pull wiring diagrams to show you, but I feel no need to at the time. Either way, will not matter since your going to use the 1995 wiring. Your way Matt is better and I admit that I overlooked the simple way. (I was pretty tired after getting off work)

YawnY- Nota2.4 is correct. The 1998 has the cam position sensor for the added sequential multi port fuel injection added in 1996. Just leave it unhooked. The egr can be swapped by just removing the 4 10mm bolts and swapping the 1998 motor to the vaccum egr from the 95. The coil packs from the 1995 can be bolted to the side of the 98 motor and just plug up your 95 harness. You will have more than enough slack. It is just easier to use your 1995 coil packs since wiring did change for the sequential multi port injection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 30, 2012 7:54 PM

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:27 AM
Freelancer, you've definitely got some information wrong. Clusters from 95-99 are all the same as far as signals and wiring go. Trust me, I've done extensive research on this. I've got 5 clusters from various 95-99 Cavaliers and Sunfires dissected on my bench that I've been testing and reverse-engineering on and off over the years. I've also personally used a 98 cluster in a 95 car. No problems. There are a couple of extra warning lights on the newer ones, but the wiring between them didn't change. The new information is simply part of the UART data stream. The cluster is indifferent to the missing codes.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:53 PM
there is nothing to change in the fuel system connect the 98 flex lines to the factory hard lines thats it

freelancer theres nothing changed at the pump for him his 95 PCM will still control his 95 pump the same his 95 PCM wont even know the 98 engine is there.

the only difference through the years is 95-99 the fuel level sensor wire went from the sending unit to the cluster. 00+ this was sent to the the PCM and 98 and older was 0-90 ohms and 99+ is 40-250ohms on the level sensor everything else is the exact same.

even engine swaps from 4 to 6 cyl you don't have any pinning in the rear of the car all GM cars in that time frame used that style of wiring. hell grand ams used the same pump and sending unit grand prixs are wired the same way

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:13 PM

people that act like richard heads should shut up.

oh... and the 95 MANUAL'S didnt have the CPS.... the AUTO'S, however.... DID.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, May 04, 2012 5:09 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

I'll have to look over some wiring diagrams to be 100%. But I'm pretty sure that only applies to the Quad's.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, May 04, 2012 7:44 AM
SHOoff wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

I'll have to look over some wiring diagrams to be 100%. But I'm pretty sure that only applies to the Quad's.
This is correct.

Brad, we're talking 2.2/2200 here. None of the 2.2's were SFI.

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:00 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

apparently reading owns you brad i will go back to my first post don't need to repeat it since its posted in this quote but yeah, been around these cars and done a fair bit to every motor, except the quads (not worth reseaching it since most pull them anyway) think i know what i'm talkin about on it

if we were talkin quad then i would be wrong but i'm not so MEH

JBO since July 30, 2001

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:25 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:Freelancer, you've definitely got some information wrong. Clusters from 95-99 are all the same as far as signals and wiring go. Trust me, I've done extensive research on this. I've got 5 clusters from various 95-99 Cavaliers and Sunfires dissected on my bench that I've been testing and reverse-engineering on and off over the years. I've also personally used a 98 cluster in a 95 car. No problems. There are a couple of extra warning lights on the newer ones, but the wiring between them didn't change. The new information is simply part of the UART data stream. The cluster is indifferent to the missing codes.

Mr. Quick, I will look into this again. I have done a couple of cluster swaps in my 95 car and I always had a tach or fuel gauge not work... Of course I could of had a bad cluster or two. I did swap a different one into my 97 and it worked, but it was a 97 as well. If you say so, then that is good enough for me Quick.

Matt, As far as what I was referring to in the pump is the dedicated ground on the 1996 and up. The 1995 pump uses 3 wires and the 1996+ is a 4 wire setup because of the ground. So in a technicality the wiring is different. It will still work of course with the 95+ cars. And I already know the sending unit changes and the 2000+ differences. I also thought we were talking about 95's and a 98's.

lol Brad.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 6:17 AM
you don't get it tho freelancer his fuel pump means NOTHING in this swap hes swappin an engine you pull the engine, make the plug changes, run said engine. you could swap in a honda or briggs and stratton engine in the car of the 95 fuel wiring

the point i'm making is to make this engine work he don't have to leave the engine bay since the 98 engine will run off the 95 pcm and wiring

3 wires vs 4 wires means nothing either i don't have the 95 schematic in front of me but you have
Fuel tank pressure sensor (signal/ground/5v referance)
fuel level sensor (signal in signal out works off resistance)
Fuel pump (power/ground)

if you have a 95 schematic post it up

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, May 06, 2012 9:20 PM
98 and up is new design 2.2

97 older is old style

manifolds changed among many other things

its not that hard to see that

swap the different parts and sensors and such and it should work

97 older is the flat with ribs rocker cover look

the 98 up are the smooth bulged kinda shaped rocker cover engines

pretty much everything besides the cyl head and bottom end assembly need swapped from one to the other

all the unboltable parts related to ignition, manifolds, injection, accessories

i see a couple posters here jumped the gun and or thought he was asking about the 2.3 or 2.4 engines

and or have never compared 97 older and 98 up chevy 2.2 engines

and not the ecotec 2.2 engines(the aluminum engines in the saturns and aleros etc)

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:50 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:you don't get it tho freelancer his fuel pump means NOTHING in this swap hes swappin an engine you pull the engine, make the plug changes, run said engine. you could swap in a honda or briggs and stratton engine in the car of the 95 fuel wiring

the point i'm making is to make this engine work he don't have to leave the engine bay since the 98 engine will run off the 95 pcm and wiring

3 wires vs 4 wires means nothing either i don't have the 95 schematic in front of me but you have
Fuel tank pressure sensor (signal/ground/5v referance)
fuel level sensor (signal in signal out works off resistance)
Fuel pump (power/ground)

if you have a 95 schematic post it up

Read my last two posts again, Maybe I didn't make it clear in english. I thought you spoke english as well, but I already made it clear that the 4vs3 wires don't matter. I also made it clear that I gave you credit already for getting it right and having an easier swap. I completely understand it and I do get it. I stated that above. If you need anything translated to whatever your trying to argue over, then PM me and I will gladly translate it for you. Have a good day.

-END

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:41 PM
fast68chevy wrote:98 and up is new design 2.2

97 older is old style

manifolds changed among many other things

its not that hard to see that

swap the different parts and sensors and such and it should work

97 older is the flat with ribs rocker cover look

the 98 up are the smooth bulged kinda shaped rocker cover engines

pretty much everything besides the cyl head and bottom end assembly need swapped from one to the other

all the unboltable parts related to ignition, manifolds, injection, accessories

i see a couple posters here jumped the gun and or thought he was asking about the 2.3 or 2.4 engines

and or have never compared 97 older and 98 up chevy 2.2 engines

and not the ecotec 2.2 engines(the aluminum engines in the saturns and aleros etc)

dude your an idiot what i said needs to be swapped is it the manifold don't have to be swapped and all accesories stay put
you guys don't understand that an engine is and engine the computer doesn't care what style it is and so on aslong as the sensors on said engine send a signal to said computer it will GO. do you re-wire your house where you take out a 40W light bulb and put in a 100W. NO if you don't know what your talkin about shut your mouth so that people dont get the wrong info plain and simple

freelance post up this fuel pump wiring in a 95 i can't get anything older then 98 off GM Service Information, i am curious as to what is different in the 95 wiring on the fuel pumps 4vs3 is it a split signal or a shared ground???? interested in knowing so that i have the info incase theres a post about wiring in fuel pumps this post isn't directed at you in any way except this paragraph

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search