trans stopped shifting - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
trans stopped shifting
Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:22 AM
well my brother came up here from southern IL to take and use the 96 cav we just got last fall since he killed the trans in his 92 bonneville

well now the trans in the cav is not upshifting at all for him all of a sudden when it was running fine no issues for me up here

its 3 speed auto and jut has the top fill cap plug in it

i told him to pull it and add a quart of fluid and see then

anyone have any other ideas

its only got 140k on it

no reason for it to be bad already when all the past ones weve had always have gone well past 200k including the 97 which is still going at over 240k miles

ideas?

not sure what i can do to help from up here in central IL though, for him

but i can try i guess

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles

Re: trans stopped shifting
Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:46 AM
Will it just hang in 1st gear forever? Or will it just constantly wait until redline and then shift?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:42 PM
no shift ever

he had it scanned and it came up coverter clutch and shift solenoids both

it just makes me think that its lost power or ground to trans somwhere somehow possibly

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Friday, May 18, 2012 3:22 AM
The 3spd doesn't have shift solenoids. It might just be a code about TCC solenoid. I'm curious as to what the fluid looks like. If it's brown/burnt mostly.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search