Need help, URGENT! Starting issue. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help, URGENT! Starting issue.
Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:37 PM
Didn't know what to search to bring this up.

Car is a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire.

I went to go start it today, the keyless all worked fine key turned to ACC. But when I went to crank the motor and start it the ignition would feel like it would hit a wall. Wouldn't go far enough to allow the starter to even crank. What do I look for here? I'm thinking it has something to do with the security system. But I'm completely clueless.

Re: Need help, URGENT! Starting issue.
Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:14 PM
EDIT: THE KEY GOES TO RUN BUT WILL NOT TURN PAST THAT.
Sunday, May 20, 2012 10:37 AM
Did you try a different key first to make sure that your key isn't somehow messed up?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:48 PM
Yeah, I have tried two different keys. I took the clamshell off of the steering column and went underneath and saw there was a small piece that was sorta stuck when you'd go to turn it. I pushed it down with a screwdriver and then turned the key and it worked... but then it got stuck in that position and didn't bounce back. Guessing I'm needing a new ignition cylinder w/ key, correct?
Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:31 PM
I have no clue what you are talking about, but I haven't personally seen the insides of an 03 column.

Anybody know when GM issued the relay fix for the ignition switches melting?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:46 AM
It's really hard to explain, but I've found the issue. Does anyone know how to remove the cylinder? Cheers
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search