some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 54 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:13 PM
ABS on mine works independently of the factory ECU. I've had the factory ECU not even hooked up and the ABS still worked.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Friday, February 11, 2011 1:42 PM
bradley s wrote:bump from the dead...

I plan on doing a 5spd 3400 swap (from a 2000sunfire 2200 OHV and 4spdauto) and getting it to pass AZ emissions. In order to do this, I have to have the OBDII port functioning properly, which means running one computer only. I spoke with a headguru from the emissions departments, and he stated an engine swap was completely fine, even if it was a different engine/harness/ecm than one offered in the jbody. The catalytic converter and EVAP system has to be intact however.

Does anyone know anything at all about the 3400 regarding emissions? I will more than likely be pulling a 3400 and harness from a grandam, using the impala ECM as well as HPTuners (allowing me to run one computer and not need to piggyback). The plan is to retain the evap canister (including lines to fuel tank and canister vent solenoid) and use everything else from the donor (tubing from canister to EVAP canister purge valve, tubing from mentioned purge valve to PCV valve, fuel pressure regulator/tubing, etc). Has anyone kept the emissions system intact?

Also, I know ABS is a love/hate deal but I want to remove mine. Out of curiousty, has anyone got ABS to work with this swap? What about airbags?
Regarding the emissions, you should be fine with your plan, but you need to make sure you have the post-cat O2 sensor installed. I don't believe your 2200 has one, so you'll have to have a bung installed in the exhaust pipe, or get the Grand Am cat. Running the Impala flash in an 00+ J-body with a 5-speed is really the cleanest install with all OEM electronics, so you're good.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:21 PM
^ Anything 96+ should have that O2 sensor.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:22 AM
I didn't think any of the OHV's did. If so, he's all set.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:38 PM
My 97 had one, and so did my buddies 96. It's an OBD-II thing.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:49 AM
Kardain wrote:After looking at the GM service manuals for 98 cavs/fires, no... just the ECM.

i have a 1998 cavalier z24 and it dose have a bcm, thats what the wires from the dash harness and the floor harness connect to?
Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:59 PM
jacob mahon wrote:
Kardain wrote:After looking at the GM service manuals for 98 cavs/fires, no... just the ECM.

i have a 1998 cavalier z24 and it dose have a bcm, thats what the wires from the dash harness and the floor harness connect to?

If your car is a 98, it does NOT have a BCM.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:25 PM
darren this guy doesn't know anything and hes attempting this its gonna be and epic failhe should re read everything before he even puts gas in his car in the morning surprised he hasn't posted how to do that

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search