3400 wiring info!? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 wiring info!?
Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:17 AM
i have all the components to do this swap except i dont have the wiring figured out. here's where im at. i plan on using either a 99 grand am or alero 3400 engine with pcm and engine harness. iv been told that mike at milzymotorsports can flash the 3.4 pcm to work with cavalier gauges (removing auto codes at the same time), so no need to piggy back.? but then what do i do about the headlights, will my 98 cavalier headlight harness plug into the 3.4 engine harness? please provide as much info as possible, step by step even. thank you!

Re: 3400 wiring info!?
Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:22 AM
and when i say 3.4 i mean 3400, sorry.
Sunday, May 27, 2012 12:22 PM
I already told you in another thread that the j-body lighting harness is seperate. Is that so hard to understand?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:50 PM
walk away if you don't understand the wiring and by this post you don't walk away from the wiring you clearly don't understand it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, May 28, 2012 5:08 AM
I understand the wiring completly iv re-wired many harnesses I'm simply just asking what wires I need to match up, like what plugs or the meaning of the wire like check engine light or coolent plug. What wires do I need to splice in. I'm sorry if I'm bothering you guys. Iglf nobody can help me with that then I will just have to do it myself.
Monday, May 28, 2012 10:45 AM
^ That's not true. If you've already done this type of thing, then you wouldn't need to ask which wires you need to match up. You'd just look at some wiring diagrams and figure it out, which you're going to have to do anyways.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, May 28, 2012 11:48 AM
That milzy crap for the gauges is just crap, 96-99's use the uart data for the gauges. None of the 3400 pcm's I have looked at even has uart data where with out it the gauges will not work. The guy you are talking about if you read all of that thread then you would see that he claimed to have it working. Then said he was going to post diagrams, where it never happened. So you will need to piggyback the stock pcm for the gauges. I think I am down to like 15 wires to the jbody pcm last I looked, where I have all the gauges working besides tach.

Another thing is if you plan to stick with a 3400 pcm you need the bcm for A/C. As it sends the kick on signal across the data stream. The only way I know around the gauges and A/C is to possibly use a 3100 pcm flashed for a 3400. Where I believe it has the uart data lines, just not sure if it is the same data stream.
Monday, May 28, 2012 11:59 AM
I wish I had a edit button as well, but I don't remember any plug for the headlights on the 05 3400 harness I used. My headlights and harness is still stock. Only thing that was touched was the engine harness. I'm with the others and going to say research and think twice about it. As it isn't really a easy swap to even do, along with I am not real sure I would call it worth it. I went the 3400 route because of another 2.4 being in the $1200 range. Though in my opinion my 3400 swap runs about the same as my old 00 2.4 5speed. The only thing I noticed is the more torque down low where I can leave it in 5th from 35mph up. I still need to get the computer reflashed to get rid of the auto junk, where if it has that torque management junk, it may be why it doesn't have that much more power right now.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:26 AM
2fast4u88 wrote:That milzy crap for the gauges is just crap, 96-99's use the uart data for the gauges. None of the 3400 pcm's I have looked at even has uart data where with out it the gauges will not work. The guy you are talking about if you read all of that thread then you would see that he claimed to have it working. Then said he was going to post diagrams, where it never happened. So you will need to piggyback the stock pcm for the gauges. I think I am down to like 15 wires to the jbody pcm last I looked, where I have all the gauges working besides tach.
Yep, there is a lot of BS running around here about this.

Here's the info on the serial data, and why you can NOT flash a 3400 PCM to run 95-99 gauges. The 95-99 gauges run on an 8192 baud UART datastream, with some of the gauges still running directly off a sensor input. All of the 3400 computers run a 10400 baud datastream, and most of the gauges are included in the stream, with the exception being the speedometer.

Friday, June 01, 2012 5:09 PM
fuel level goes into the gauges 95099 and on 00+ it goes to the PCM then gets sent our that serial data to the cluster aswell this stuff can be confusing so when we say it wont work probably because one of us has tried it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, June 03, 2012 7:01 AM
Use a 98 3.1 Olds Achieva engine harness and pcm. That cars wiring is dead on to a 96-99 2.2 Cavailer. Uses uart data for the cluster, has 1 cooling fan and is a tuneable pcm with HP Tuners.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures

Sunday, June 03, 2012 7:09 AM
So you can flash the olds PCM and use that with the olds engine harness and the gauges will work? No piggy back?
Monday, June 04, 2012 5:16 AM
3500gtp wrote:Use a 98 3.1 Olds Achieva engine harness and pcm. That cars wiring is dead on to a 96-99 2.2 Cavailer. Uses uart data for the cluster, has 1 cooling fan and is a tuneable pcm with HP Tuners.
The problem is, the UART datastream is not exactly the same. I have the description files, and some of the signals are located in different messages than the J-body. The real key to making these things work is to figure out where in the .bin file the datastream description lies, and then manually manipulating it, as none of the software addresses this.

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:18 AM
3500gtp wrote:Use a 98 3.1 Olds Achieva engine harness and pcm. That cars wiring is dead on to a 96-99 2.2 Cavailer. Uses uart data for the cluster, has 1 cooling fan and is a tuneable pcm with HP Tuners.

If you're smart you won't trust this. This poster has claimed plenty of things before, yet was for some strange reason unable to show any evidence of.

Monday, June 04, 2012 5:42 PM
SHOoff wrote:

If you're smart you won't trust this. This poster has claimed plenty of things before, yet was for some strange reason unable to show any evidence of.

Its not that i just would like to make a thread page with detailed steps of what has been done for the wiring with my car but I have absolutely no time to put this together.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Monday, June 04, 2012 7:11 PM
Well my LD9 is knocking so I'm about to do this swap so could you please post something to prove this because it would save me a lot of time..
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:10 AM
3500gtp wrote:
SHOoff wrote:

Its not that i just would like to make a thread page with detailed steps of what has been done for the wiring with my car but I have absolutely no time to put this together.
You've posted multiple claims of success with things, or with statements of what can "easily" be done with wiring options for these, but in well over a year's time, you have not backed any of it up.

I know the serial data streams for most of the 3x00 equipped vehicles, and for the J-body, and just because the wiring is the same does not mean the data stream is the same. I know for a fact that the Achieva data stream differs from the J-body data stream. The information the cluster is looking for is organized differently, and none of the tuning software allows for the editing of it. Since you don't have the time to post any evidence of your claims, I highly doubt you've had the time to dissect the .bin files and manually reprogram the ECM to output the data stream with the proper configuration for the J-body cluster.

If you have truly have solved this, great. Kudos to you. Now take a few minutes to post exactly what you did to make it work. If not, stop posting these useless claims when people are looking for help.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:44 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search