swap question!! - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: swap question!!
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:32 PM
Shandall hines wrote:The GM FWD V6 engines share the same bolt pattern as the OHV 4 cylinder engines ( the two found in the 3rd Generation J-body cars are the 2.2OHV and the 2200)

If you have a car equipped with an OHV engine already, you can retain your existing transmission. If you are swapping to a car with a DOHC engine, you need to swap your transmission as well.

Options for auto are the 4t40e (4 speed auto) that comes in the J, the 4t45e that comes the N body cars. 4t65e or 4t65HD these transmissions are found in W and C body cars, and the 3t40e which is strongly NOT recommended

see what happens when you do a little bit of research? just imagine if you did more what you could learn.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:24 PM
I know what trans mate to it I was wonder which is the best
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:03 AM
The higher the number at the end of the transmission is stronger.... 4 means the number of speeds T means transverse and end number if i remember right is a torque rating or something like that so it all depends on what your doing with your swap....

Erik Packard
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:11 AM
Shandall hines wrote:I know what trans mate to it I was wonder which is the best

What pro baseball team is the best?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:41 AM
Shandall hines wrote:I know what trans mate to it I was wonder which is the best

Trannys usually don't mate because lolsexchange.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:33 AM
Lol
Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:35 AM
For the 3800, the 4t65 (e or HD) is the best, but it's going to be a tight fit in the J-body. It's a very large transmission.

If you were to do a 3400, a 4t45e would be the best, because not only will it fit better than the 4t65, but you can also get an ECM that will already run that transmission with the V6. The biggest problems with the V6 swaps an automatics is that you can't just flash an ECM for a new transmission. You have to flash it from a vehicle that came with that engine/transmission combo. This is why you can't do a V6 swap with the 4t40e found in the J-body. The shifting is different, so if you try to hook up an ECM flashed for a 4t65 to a 4t40, it won't shift properly.

Regardless, you'll need to do at least some fab to swap either a 4t45 or 4t65 into the J-body. They do not mount the same.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:57 AM
I had a 3100 with 4t60e, and it didn't require any special modifications to fit. Had to use j-body axles with the grand am cups that to go into the transmission if I remember right.

I used the part of the 3t40 trans mount that bolted to the frame, and the 4t60e mount that bolted to the trans. Anytime I turned full lock and gave it more than just a little throttle the driver axle would literally blow up, but I believe I had the wrong length axles in it.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:41 AM
From all the reading I know its not going to be a direct drop and blow up... I'm have trouble trying to see what exact mounts to use on the application ... I've already found everything else... If it seems I'm asking crazy questions its do Ttp I don't understand what I read or I'm just lost... But I have the series 2 3800 harness and pcm... Now I gotta find mounts and reside what tranny
Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:59 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:For the 3800, the 4t65 (e or HD) is the best, but it's going to be a tight fit in the J-body. It's a very large transmission.

I can attest to that! My swap is using a 4T65HD and it is a beastly trans to try and fit. However, it does fit.

Whats up people?
Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:41 AM
Oedwards wrote:I had a 3100 with 4t60e, and it didn't require any special modifications to fit. Had to use j-body axles with the grand am cups that to go into the transmission if I remember right.

I used the part of the 3t40 trans mount that bolted to the frame, and the 4t60e mount that bolted to the trans.
You meant the 4t45e?

The 4t60e and 4t65e are both larger than the 4t40e or 4t45e. I don't see how you could have used the 3t40e mount on the 4t60e

Also, since you said you needed the Grand Am cups, this even more points to a 4t45e, since the 4t60e was never available in a Grand Am.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:08 PM
serious dude at the top of the page theres 2 thread that will answer every question you have

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:05 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Listen to this guy. He wrote the book!

He has been invaluable and very patient with all of my questions. I am just about to start the plumbing stage and then electrical which I am sure I will have a ton of questions for him.

Thanks
Jay
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:54 PM
I've ready the whole sticky and I'm listening to him as well .... But I still had questions. This is the first swap I've ever done. And if I don't understand somethings I'm gonna ask them
Thursday, August 02, 2012 1:47 AM
One more question that I didn't see the answer in the sticky.... I have a 97 z24 I'm going with the 2.2 auto trans will I have to swap the tranny harness? For the 2.2? Or will the harness that's there work?
Thursday, August 02, 2012 4:52 AM
Shandall hines wrote:One more question that I didn't see the answer in the sticky.... I have a 97 z24 I'm going with the 2.2 auto trans will I have to swap the tranny harness? For the 2.2? Or will the harness that's there work?
To answer your question, the transmission hookups are on the main harness, so the plugs will already be on the 3x00 harness. However, I don't think that there is an ECM flash available that will properly run the 4t40e trans, which is what is on the 2.2.

Saturday, August 04, 2012 10:27 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Oedwards wrote:I had a 3100 with 4t60e, and it didn't require any special modifications to fit. Had to use j-body axles with the grand am cups that to go into the transmission if I remember right.

I used the part of the 3t40 trans mount that bolted to the frame, and the 4t60e mount that bolted to the trans.
You meant the 4t45e?

The 4t60e and 4t65e are both larger than the 4t40e or 4t45e. I don't see how you could have used the 3t40e mount on the 4t60e

Also, since you said you needed the Grand Am cups, this even more points to a 4t45e, since the 4t60e was never available in a Grand Am.

Yes it was a 4t60e, and yes it came in a grand am.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1994-Pontiac-Grand-Am/Automatic-Transmission/_/N-j161wZ6o2ai?filterByKeyWord=transmission&fromString=search

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, August 05, 2012 6:43 PM
Shandall hines wrote:From all the reading I know its not going to be a direct drop and blow up... I'm have trouble trying to see what exact mounts to use on the application ... I've already found everything else... If it seems I'm asking crazy questions its do Ttp I don't understand what I read or I'm just lost... But I have the series 2 3800 harness and pcm... Now I gotta find mounts and reside what tranny

That's because you must fabricate your own mounts.

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:19 PM
Axles ? Using ones from jbody or a custom axle ... I was told I couldn't use the automatic trans from 2.2
Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:19 PM
Depends . . . Does your engine mount in the stock position? If the trans is in the right spot you can use the original jbody axles. If it is not then you must use custom axles.

Whats up people?
Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:56 PM
serious bud decide what you want then getthe answers

you the axels for the transmission your using you can't use 2.2 on a 65e you have to make the axels using both axels from both car.

what parts are you using and get them then ask more questions but get your engine and transmission then go from there

JBO since July 30, 2001

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:14 PM
I have the engine but getting another trans cause I learned I can use other so I was asking about axles so I can get those if I need to pick them up or order them... I'm trying to get a step ahead
Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:43 PM
sent a pm

If GM only knew how great a 3400 powered Sunfire is...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search