Engine replacment (used) p0300 misfire - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine replacment (used) p0300 misfire
Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:23 PM
I have a 2005 cavalier ecotec, replaced the engine blown head gasket. I bought the car as it is needing an engine and plugged converter probably due to the misfire.
The car will run but sometimes misses at start up but if I rev the car and keep idle it'll clear up. I can drive it and when its fully warm, it'll start to stumble at a stop light so I have to keep the rpm's up. p0300 and engine light was flashing.

changed: spark plugs, ignition module, crank sensor, fuel pressure steady at 62psi. swapped coil pack with used one no change. tried spraying around the intake with carb cleaner, looked over vaccuum hoses and wiring. new fuel filter.

Do I need to have the dealer do a case relearn when replacing the motor? i'm getting mixed answers.

I really need to get this car running properly.

What should I do?

Re: Engine replacment (used) p0300 misfire
Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:14 PM
If the light is flashing, that's a type 1 code. Means if you let it go it will destroy the converter, have you looked at fuel trims or smoked the evap system?

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:54 AM
Jason, the misfire it self will throw the fuel trims off because of raw fuel and oxygen being put through the exhaust.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, July 27, 2012 10:12 AM
Yes, typically if it is doing this at low rpm and needs gas to stay alive we would tend to think that this is a vacuum related problem.

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:44 AM
Quote:

Do I need to have the dealer do a case relearn when replacing the motor?

GM says that you should whenever the crank sensor, or ECU (and probably engine) is replaced.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:18 PM
technically the PCM should relearn engine controls after so many start ups and run cycles

almost always

you should not need to do a manual relearn procedure on this vehicle

unless something else is wrong with it and preventing the PCM from doing relearn automatically

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:01 AM
fast68chevy - that is incorrect information. Please do not spread that around.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:09 PM
Hmmmm I replaced my ecu when I went supercharged. I never did a crank relearn or got a code for it either p0315 is the code you should get.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search