swapping "bell housings" on the isuzu. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
swapping "bell housings" on the isuzu.
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:33 PM
lemme preface this by saying:

ugh.

i have every bolt out of the outside of this transmission and i still cant get the case to come more than 3/4" apart. what am i missing?

does anyone have a walkthrough from shopkey or alldata? anything?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:39 PM
Attachments
vss.jpg (472k)

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Re: swapping "bell housings" on the isuzu.
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:49 PM
you are likely missing the bolt that holds the reverse shaft in place.

it is located to the lower front side. send me a pm with your cell and i'll test you a picture via text. I just happen to have a couple trannys sitting in my garage.

dennis
Re: swapping
Wednesday, August 08, 2012 4:25 AM
The trick is to be smarter than the transmission.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:22 AM
MasterFlight wrote:you are likely missing the bolt that holds the reverse shaft in place.

it is located to the lower front side. send me a pm with your cell and i'll test you a picture via text. I just happen to have a couple trannys sitting in my garage.

dennis

ill recheck, but im pretty sure i got all the bolts. there is not one hex shaped anything on the outside of this tranny.

Mr. Quick wrote:The trick is to be smarter than the transmission.

thats gonna be difficult. cant i just use a bigger hammer?

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:25 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:The trick is to be smarter than the transmission.

thats gonna be difficult. cant i just use a bigger hammer?
If all else fails,
BFH!

Monday, August 13, 2012 2:17 PM
So I got it apart but not the way I was hoping to. Kinda wanted the exact opposite of this. Received the service manuals today and they are of no help whatsoever. From where I am I can only see removing the gear stalks and shift rods and forks. I can't imagine I did this right if this it what's required for the mythical "bell housing swap".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 13, 2012 2:20 PM
Attachments
IMG-20120808-WA0006.jpg (141k)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:33 AM
I didn't think you could swap the actual bellhousing itself. But, if you're pulling those gears out, I'd look into the gear ratios of whatever you're using, and make a better set. I think Transporter7220 may have done this.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:14 AM
SHOoff wrote:I didn't think you could swap the actual bellhousing itself. But, if you're pulling those gears out, I'd look into the gear ratios of whatever you're using, and make a better set. I think Transporter7220 may have done this.
I actually got in contact with him last night, and he had previously uploaded the three pdfs in a thread where he showed you how to take it apart. S'good stuff.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:13 AM
ok, so a big

THANK YOU

to Transporter7220. he directed me to a thread where he did a teardown of this transmission with pictures, and even attached pdfs. this made the job ridiculously easy.

for those curious, here is his thread.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:27 PM
Rich 1, transmission 0

Monday, August 20, 2012 8:21 AM

What do you think guys, reusable?

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:19 AM
If it were me, I'd definitely replace them. It looks in the first picture that one of the teeth to the far right is actually cracked, and close to breaking.

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:07 PM
Looks better than mine did. Mine had big chunks out of the middle on every tooth. Definately replace them though, those are NFG. It's only gonna get worse. Some machined gears would look nice in there.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, August 20, 2012 2:33 PM
SHOoff wrote:Looks better than mine did. Mine had big chunks out of the middle on every tooth. Definitely replace them though, those are NFG. It's only gonna get worse. Some machined gears would look nice in there.

i want to replace them. im not finding anyone willing or capable of selling just the gears, but i did find a source out of minnesota with "never been run" carrier assemblies. their cost is $275+ freight, nearest trans on car-part has 100k and is $200 by the time i get it back here. if anybody has resources for getting me the gears i'm all for it.

Friday, August 24, 2012 4:20 PM
Oh boy...

This is a brand new carrier. It looks so awesome... $320 shipped.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:51 AM
I'd find an Isuzu trans out of an Isuzu car from a yard, and use that.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:08 AM
SHOoff wrote:I'd find an Isuzu trans out of an Isuzu car from a yard, and use that.

At this point why? I have the new differential ready to drop in

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:04 PM
trans is back in the car, just need to slip in the axles, bolt the knuckle back up, add the fluids, plug everything in and drive away.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:54 PM
wow never seen inside of a front wheel drive transaxle

neat

has a diff just like in an axle hum cool

i might be soon having to disassemble the one in the 96 cavy at only 140k miles it just quit one day on my brother as he was using it

theres a flat spring steel type round retainer clip of some kind inside the car thats from the trans dont know why and where in the trans its from
where can i see an exploded view diagram of the internals so i can see where this clip or retainer thing came from exactly in there?

thx

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:40 AM
fast68chevy wrote:wow never seen inside of a front wheel drive transaxle

neat

has a diff just like in an axle hum cool
The only difference is the orientation of the gears. On a RWD diff, the pinion gear is at a 90 degree angle to the ring gear. On a FWD diff, the gears are parallel.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:06 PM
got it all finished yesterday, drove it down the street, and it felt good. then i drove it further. felt even better. drove it today, and it feels like a completely new car. along with this swap oi put in a set of poly trans mounts i had lying around for a couple years, and let me tell you, i have the ttr solid upper, rk lower, and the rk trans mounts which i filled the holes with urethane. there is no more driveline shudder if you slip the clutch a little too much. i can also report that the OHV LOVES the 2.4 gearset, as thats what the second trans was out of and why i had to learn how to build these transmissions from the ground up. car is livelier, and apparently the noise i was hearing thinking it was a wheel bearing was a tranny eating itself, as the noise is gone now.

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:29 AM
3:91 vs. 3:58 should make it feel a lot better.

My trans made the same noise when the diff was all torn up too. Sounded just like a bad bearing.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:43 AM
SHOoff wrote:I'd find an Isuzu trans out of an Isuzu car from a yard, and use that.

Why? what makes them better?
please explain, thanks!
Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:54 AM
After you've already read and replied to my reply to your post in the Transmission forum where I posted that information.... what makes you think I'm gonna post it here?

Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:29 PM
OK, I was just wondering if there was any other reason other than the machined gears that makes them stronger or better. gear ratios and what not. Also what Isuzu car would be compatible with ours, years and models. I haven't done any research on this where it seems you have. just curious.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search