3400 checklist - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 checklist
Friday, August 10, 2012 7:54 AM
Ok gotta do a list to see what I have and don't have after all the reading ........

1. 03impala motor 7500 miles with harness
2. 2.2 auto trans
3. Ordering mounts upper n lower from Mr. Quick
4. Pcm from impala ......
5. Pcm programing from milzy motorsports

Ok what am I missing here or any advice

Re: 3400 checklist
Friday, August 10, 2012 8:55 AM
What are your plans to run the transmission from the 2.2? The Impala PCM will not have the correct shift program, and you will have issues with it.

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:37 AM
you cannot run the 2.2 auto trans behind a 3400 it will not hold up... you either have to get a 4t45 from a grand am or alero or shoehorn a 4t60 or 65 in there... and also ive herd its easier if you get a pcm from a montana van but thats just what ive herd

Erik Packard
Friday, August 10, 2012 12:15 PM
Can't shift points and such be modified with hptuners?

Why can't you change that to work with the 2.2 tranny?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, August 10, 2012 2:08 PM
Ok might not be able to run the tranny......
Friday, August 10, 2012 2:09 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:What are your plans to run the transmission from the 2.2? The Impala PCM will not have the correct shift program, and you will have issues with it.

Ok what pcm the alero? If that's the problem I can get one ...
Friday, August 10, 2012 8:01 PM
Shandall hines wrote:Ok gotta do a list to see what I have and don't have after all the reading ........

1. 03impala motor 7500 miles with harness
2. 2.2 auto trans
3. Ordering mounts upper n lower from Mr. Quick
4. Pcm from impala ......
5. Pcm programing from milzy motorsports

Ok what am I missing here or any advice

6. Another thread about it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, August 10, 2012 8:14 PM
Ricozero wrote:you cannot run the 2.2 auto trans behind a 3400 it will not hold up... you either have to get a 4t45 from a grand am or alero or shoehorn a 4t60 or 65 in there... and also ive herd its easier if you get a pcm from a montana van but thats just what ive herd

Can the auto trans be used here?
Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:39 AM
its not a matter of holding up anyone that says that there an idiot cause i have a 2.2 manual trans on a much bigger powerful engine and it hold.

a trans mission is based on torque but its also based on size of car if you were to use the 40E in an impala it wouldn't hold.

your best be it to get the 65E make a couple mounts then the PCM controls it right

aleros and impala use the same PCM pending year range but its in the sofware that things change its much cheaper to just get the impala PCM with the program

this is why we say donor car because you can get all the little hoses and brackets you need from 1 car

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:57 AM
Oedwards wrote:Can't shift points and such be modified with hptuners?

Why can't you change that to work with the 2.2 tranny?
It's not just shift points. The control of the transmission is different somehow based on fluid pressures. I haven't gotten into it, but JoMX (IIRC) had tried numerous flashes, and the problem was that the transmission was slipping with the incorrect program. It wasn't shift points, it literally wasn't engaging properly. This is how he discovered the Impala program being the only one that would run the 00+ J-body cluster 100%.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:11 AM
Ok now u making sense to me .... Off to the scrap yard

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:11 PM
so are you saying a 2.2 trans will not work the 3500 as well? i know you can change line pressure with hpt a little bit, it already is in mine (jeffies old one) I can grab the other cars computers but since it would be getting tuned I was not sure it mattered.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:18 PM
Thanks fellas I'm glad I made this post cause I don't want to have to do this all over again cause I used the wrong trans
Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:43 AM
Mike (Needs Boost) wrote:so are you saying a 2.2 trans will not work the 3500 as well? i know you can change line pressure with hpt a little bit, it already is in mine (jeffies old one) I can grab the other cars computers but since it would be getting tuned I was not sure it mattered.
This is correct. With the 3500, I'm assuming you're using a crank trigger wheel and 3400 electronics? This means you're still going to want a 4t45 at least, but if you're using an Impala flash, you should really go with the 4t65.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search