connector help - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
connector help
Sunday, July 01, 2012 7:46 PM
Okay guys I have a 2002 Sunfire which I got for a steal ($800) the guy told me the only problem was the fuel pump had to have a straight wire because the original fuel pump bunt the original wire in a connector the is beside the hood pop lever under the carpet I have a picture here. most of the time the car will start and run but after driving for about 10 minutes the car turns itself off because the fuel pump gives out. Now i'm curious if I can cut out that connector where it burned and crimp a new one on if that would fix the problem or do you guys have any other ideas. I'm really thinking crimping on a new, connector would work though. Here is the pic link

http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r495/Dyce17/?action=view¤t=20120701_133446.jpg

Re: connector help
Sunday, July 01, 2012 8:00 PM
Do that or pull the pins out of that connector and push them into a new one
Monday, July 02, 2012 5:06 AM
I would go to a yard, and get that connector from a car, cutting off as much wire as you can. For the wire that burned, splice that into your car. For the rest of them, pull them out of your connector as Philly D suggests, and put them in the new connector. There is likely an insert that holds the pins in that you will have to figure out how to remove, and then you will need a very small jewelers' size flathead screwdriver to slide in next to each pin to release the barb that holds the individual pin in place, so you can slide the pin out undamaged.

However, you need to figure out why the fuel pump is shutting off. Chances are, the problem that burned the original wire still exists.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:45 PM
are you sure its not security shut down command issue?

security system shuts down fuel if it doesnt like the key or the key reader isnt working properly due to age,wear, dirt, general failure

does the security light ever sit and blink over and over when it wont run?

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search