Ball Joint replacement - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ball Joint replacement
Friday, August 31, 2012 9:10 PM
Hey guys I need a lower ball joint on my Cavy and it looks like these rivets are in here to stay. Is there an easy method you guys came up with for replacing the stock ball joints or am i going to have to pay fat a** to change them out for me.

Re: Ball Joint replacement
Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:56 AM
Some..prolly alot...maybe not...would maybe just change the aframe as a whole...as its 2 bolts and a nut <+sway bar link if have one> and bam..new ball joint and new bushing = win win..they arent hugely expensive from what ive seen, but if already have the balljoint and dont want to change aframes then get some good drill bits a chisel and a BFH as yes they put them in there to stay heh..good thing yes, a pain in the a$$ yes. But basically just drill out the centers and chisel em off,just go slow with the drill and use oil/lube and shouldn't break anything.)

Saturday, September 01, 2012 9:47 AM
depends what tools you got

grinder, air chisel, drill

i grind the heads off the rivets then drill a hole in the rivet then use the air chisel to punch out the rivet

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, September 02, 2012 7:52 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:depends what tools you got

grinder, air chisel, drill

i grind the heads off the rivets then drill a hole in the rivet then use the air chisel to punch out the rivet

Thats how I do it as well at work.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:10 PM
hehe i was assuming he wasn't at a place where air tools and the like were available but if can borrow an electric grinder that would speed things up a lot , I personally..if its got alot of miles on em anyways check out new aframes w/balljoints think they were like 36$ and up on rockauto and then its just nuts and bolts ya gotta deal with

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:34 PM
I ordered MOOG ball joints to replace the stockers on my car... Going to do the same as above, grind off the rivets, then drill them out. bolt new ones in and go!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search