3400 swap - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3400 swap
Monday, October 01, 2012 5:27 AM
javis hildebrand wrote:I don't agree with what a couple of you have said about doing research. In my opinion instead of reinventing the wheel I like to learn from other peoples mistakes and improve upon things.
The problem is that the information we have learned is all here. I took the time to make the sticky, which answers most, if not all, of the questions posted in the forum on a regular basis. Others who have done the swap have contributed to the sticky as well. There are two or three other good threads, that are quite long, that have a lot of information. In some of those threads, you actually can see the discussions where we are still solving the problems, so it can give insight on what we've already tried and failed with.

SHOoff's point was that there are so many people that just want to post a new thread and have the information spoon-fed to them. People get lazy, and lazy is not what you need to be to do a motor swap. You need to be willing to jump in and figure things out as you hit obstacles. No matter how prepared you think you are, you're going to hit bumps. If you're not the kind of person who isn't afraid to jump into it, doing this swap may not be for you.

Shandall, this thread really did start out as if you wanted to find someone to make your harness for you. If you were just looking for information, you could ask anyone that has done the swap, because they obviously made a harness. Asking if anyone makes them is going to be taken as you want to have it done for you.

Monday, October 01, 2012 8:00 AM
Ok Mr. Quick sorry for the confusion. I don't want anything spoon fed to me. If it seems I asked a dumb question its cause I didn't undrstand something. I'm hung up on this harness but I think I have it now....,
Monday, October 01, 2012 10:18 AM
I think most people make the wiring out to be a bigger deal than it is. The best thing to do is have both vehicle's wiring diagram in front of you. Look for the wires that go to places other than between the engine and the computer (ignition, fuse panel, etc), and those are the ones you need to splice. That's pretty much it.

Good luck on your swap. It's a thrill when you get it started!

Monday, October 01, 2012 11:15 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:I think most people make the wiring out to be a bigger deal than it is. The best thing to do is have both vehicle's wiring diagram in front of you. Look for the wires that go to places other than between the engine and the computer (ignition, fuse panel, etc), and those are the ones you need to splice. That's pretty much it.

Good luck on your swap. It's a thrill when you get it started!

wiring is my biggest concern, but if it's not as bad as i'm thinking it is i may try to tackle it myself. following diagrams and splicing wires doesn't seem all that hard. how many splices does it normally take to get this thing running?
Monday, October 01, 2012 3:57 PM
Depends on what you're running. For me doing my MS-II, it's only something like 20 wires to mess with in order to get the factory ECM out of the way.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, October 01, 2012 5:20 PM
thats not bad, i won't be doing anything like that though. just looking to get a 3400 ecu reflashed and start trying to merge everything together hopefully. still haven't found a decent donor car though.
Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:31 PM
Will Boston wrote:I already explained it all to him he refuse's to listen...

As for Matt's harnesses, I have one of the 3400's, he did a Fantastic Job!!!

at first i was like (LIKE FAWK YOU HAVE ONE OF MINE I KNOW WHERE THEY ALL ARE) then i saw whos car you have then i was like AWE yes you do.

your car was my 3400 mockup car. yours was the first one i made for a 3400 mind you its very similar to mine.

BP38 DO EVERYTHING don't just do some to start it just wire the damn car get it done and start it would you start the car with the motor mounts half in NO for what it takes and your that far just do it.

no one will spoon feed the wiring since theres so many cars and schematics and ways to wire it
a 98 grand prix is different from a 98 regal same year same engine just different.

you can wires a pre 00 2 ways wire its striahgt up and run autometer gauges or piggy back it and use stock (I DONT DO THIS ANYMORE)

00+ you only should have one choice and i suggest using this method on pre00 models wire it as an impala and use stock 00 cluster i wired my 99 for this and it truly is the cats A$$ it makes the car look stock and that it should be there and you only have 1 PCM
this is the only way i do it now if someone doesn't want this way i don't do it cause i can and i'm not desparate to do these

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:51 PM
once i get into it i will do everything. I'm going to end up using autometer gauges regardless because i want to keep my auto tranny. so i don't think the wiring will be as bad. it may seem like cutting corners just to get it done, but i plan on making it look good and not just thrown together.
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:07 PM
finally, someone else thats could care less about having a stock cluster lol. From all the reading ive done here, thats the only real reason ive found for all the ecm BS, stock gauges -_- meh.
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:21 PM
Spencer wrote:finally, someone else thats could care less about having a stock cluster lol. From all the reading ive done here, thats the only real reason ive found for all the ecm BS, stock gauges -_- meh.
some of us like the challenge.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:30 PM
yeah, i mean if the car still works with an auto trans but a few less gauges work.. no big deal. i do understand the challange part of getting everything to work. of course that would be the best thing, but if Mr Quick hasn't got it working yet, it must be something diffucult because he knows his @!#$ lol

Sunday, October 07, 2012 10:37 AM
the first 3 years i had autometer gauges and when you factor in the cost of gauges vs wiring its stupid now
a 97 with autometer gauges
or a 97 converted to 2000 cluster would be cheaper to do but what do i know just the fact that i have had both and when i did mine this info wasn't out but no one listens to the guys that have been here forever

i would swap out the transmission and fab mounts but for me fabing mounts is simple get a beefier trans and more solid mount why not

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search