3400 swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 swap
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:21 PM
Is there anybody that's doing harnesses for this swap?

Re: 3400 swap
Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:21 PM
Research it... if you have someone else make one your probably talking $1000 bucks or more

Erik Packard
Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:39 PM
because your to lazy to fill out your profile i'm to lazy to make one for you

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:17 PM
Not to lazy to fill it out I haven't been on here like that just to ask a question. And back under the hood
Friday, September 21, 2012 8:13 AM
You can't just say "make me a harness" You have to have certain equipment, certain computers. And then say "make me a harness, that fits this car with this engine and this computer"

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, September 21, 2012 8:26 AM
Thing is I asked if anyone is doing them didn't ask someone do do it for me
Friday, September 21, 2012 9:42 AM
Something you have no interest in purchasing?

I'll put you down as a no.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, September 21, 2012 9:45 AM
Regardless, you still can't find out anything about making a harness, unless one giving the information knows what all it's going to go to. It's not just "build a harness". There are specifics involved.

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:06 PM
reason is theres to many differences in the harness and sinc eyou have a 97 pending what you do to the car itself makes the harness harder to build your location (which isn't in your profile) makes a difference in price

are you providing the j harness and the n body harness. if your currently working on this swap you should have the harness started if someone doin it so your not waiting for it otherwise you have a boat ancor until its completed i start at 700+ in canada,500+ Ontario, 1000+ for US costomers

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, September 21, 2012 2:12 PM
ok thanks for the explanation
Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:25 PM
why does price ramp up so much? is shippinh that bad for them?

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:08 PM
no idea what shipping is on them never done one outside ontario.
do i wonder why, NO,
do i know why, I HAVE AN IDEA
and if my idea is correct then my plan is working just the way i want it to.

this is just part of it
finding someone to do it without the car is hard so i do add money one bcause of that. i have done 2 3400 and i had one of them within 10 minutes and i mirrored the other off it, now i don't have it available so length is a shot in the dark
i still have a 3800 here so i can get some lengths of it but the end of the day if i had the car i can save probably 3 hours

basicly i say find someone local if not pay me the extra money to make it worth my while

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, September 24, 2012 7:30 PM
I asked about harness cause I had questions of what went where Wat needed to be wired to stock pcm to run gauges and what went to new pcm
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:29 AM
Shandall . . . you NEED to do a lot more research in order to finish this swap. Before I started I had researched for well over a 100 hours. I also have the complete GM service manual for both the cavalier and the donor car. It would be in your best interest to either swap all wiring from a 2000+ cavalier so you can keep your interior harness and run the engine harness and pcm from a 2004 impala ss s/c. That will make life easier for you . . . buuuuuuut if you had done the research you would know that oh wait you would also know that there is only maybe a dozen or so wires that need to be repinned to mate the interior harness to the engine harness oh and you would also know you can keep your stock cluster and don't have to piggy back.

Whats up people?
Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:48 AM
I already explained it all to him he refuse's to listen...

As for Matt's harnesses, I have one of the 3400's, he did a Fantastic Job!!!

If GM only knew how great a 3400 powered Sunfire is...
Friday, September 28, 2012 12:44 PM
I would love a harness!! I bet I'm already past 100hrs of research on this swap, and don't think I'm at the halfway point yet..
Friday, September 28, 2012 1:02 PM
100 hrs or research.. holy cow.. The swap takes a weekend, just saying. lol

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, September 28, 2012 7:16 PM
Thanks everyone for ur help I've done about 75 hrs of research.... Motor is in 02 getrag is in I'm just doing harness... I decides to do auto to manual swap along with 3400 at the same time
Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:14 AM
Wow, that's a lot of research.

When I did my swap, this is the info I found:

3400 and 2.2 have the same bellhousing.
3400 Can bolt to the 2.2 trans as long as you use 2.2 flywheel and clutch.
End of list.

Kids these days have it so easy.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:06 PM
SHOoff wrote:When I did my swap, this is the info I found:

3400 and 2.2 have the same bellhousing.
3400 Can bolt to the 2.2 trans as long as you use 2.2 flywheel and clutch.
End of list.

Kids these days have it so easy.
LMFAO. No sh!t, huh?

When I started, I didn't even know this. I happened to be looking under the hood of a 97 GA with a 3100, and noticed the engine bay was very close to a J, and the upper mount looked like it should fit into the J fender rail bracket. From there, I spent numerous hours in salvage P&P yards just poking around these cars, then I realized the 3400 existed, and decided I had to find a way to swap one into my car. From there, I ran into Mr. Goodwrench, who had done some research, and we began comparing notes. Ironicly, over the years, far more swaps have been performed, but our two cars still haven't made it on the road. They've both run and driven, but are permanent projects to this date. LOL.

Seriously, although many of us paved the way for this swap, it drives me nuts just how little work people around here do before spewing out so many questions. Engine swaps are best done when you've figured a lot of things out for yourself. You understand things better. You can figure out problems better. It will expand your capabilities as a car modder.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:18 AM
I think officially I'm the 3rd one to do this swap, behind you and Mr. Goodwrench. Those were the good ole' days. Turning the key for the first time, hearing the engine start and thinking "Oh my God, what have I created?"

The point is kids. You can sit back and do research all you want. There's not a lot of real answers because everyone has a measuring contest about how much research they're doing. The problem is that research on this is not progress. You're never going to get anything done until you pull the trigger and buy the stuff for the swap, and get to work.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:55 AM
I completely understand I'm in the process of doing this and I thank you guys for answering my questions .... When its done ill post pics of it so u guys know that I am serious about this swap.. the only thing I haven't done myself is weld in the trans frame mounts
Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:10 AM
SHOoff wrote:I think officially I'm the 3rd one to do this swap, behind you and Mr. Goodwrench. Those were the good ole' days. Turning the key for the first time, hearing the engine start and thinking "Oh my God, what have I created?"
Yeah, good times. I wish I had done a video of it before I hooked up the exhaust. My first fire-up was with just the downpipe on it, not even the cat. So brutal! That was also with the iron head tune in the computer, so it was growly as all hell.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:45 PM
When I say I've been researching I mean comparing wiring schemes, looking at suspension components, things like finding a place to do the axles that I need, etc. I have some time spent in questioning other people on their builds but in large part it has been out in the yard measuring and comparing engines.

I don't agree with what a couple of you have said about doing research. In my opinion instead of reinventing the wheel I like to learn from other peoples mistakes and improve upon things.

With that said . . . Shandall if you have 75 hours into the research of this swap then you really need to stop asking the questions you are and start asking intelligent questions. 99.9999% of everything I have seen you ask has been garbage such as can someone make me a harness :S

I suggest you find a mechanic and let him do the swap and laugh at you as he takes a 9000% markup on what the swap should cost you . . . all because you are to lazy to figure it out on your own.

Whats up people?
Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:31 PM
lol
i ask questions to get a answer so with that said reread what i asked....

i said do anyone make them not make me one ..... also i said my motor n trans are in working on harness
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search