LN2 to LD9 swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LN2 to LD9 swap
Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:47 PM
Ok so here is the deal. I have a 97 Sunfire with a Ln2 3 speed. Because of issues I can not resolve. I'm looking at swapping a LD9 into it. I have a motor that is good sitting. I think I know most of what is needed, but want to be sure. Searching did not get me much info. I will be staying auto to keep it simple, and my wife can drive it.

Feel free to add to my list of what I need.

Motor-got it
Tranny- do not have but have a line on it
Auto wiring harness and ECU-Have one
Power sterring pump and hoses
Fuel rail and lines-Have these
Hoses
Intake manifold (motor I have has a LO manifold on it, do not really want to use)
Exhaust manifold-I have my 01 manifold and partial downpipe, but motor I have has a pacesetter header on it (will likely use header)
TB- I have a 57mm TB

What else??

Also will the 3 speed axles work on a 4 speed auto?

Thanks for any extra info.

FU Tuning

Re: LN2 to LD9 swap
Monday, October 15, 2012 3:00 PM
I have a running 98 2200 motor if you just want to cheap out and not build. Possibly trade for tuning or other work. have spare 3 speed too.
Monday, October 15, 2012 9:41 PM
Someone years ago but left out his name wrote:This is exactly what you need and you will also need the PCM out of a manual or just get your friends VIN number or someones that has a manual and take yours to dealership and they will reprogram it.
*2.4L tranny
*Tranny mounts
*bolts for the tranny mounts
*bolts that go through the mounts
*Chassis brackets (need to be MIG or TIG welded)
*Flywheel
*Flywheel to crank bolts
*Pressure plate
*pressure plate to flywheel bolts
*clutch plate
*alignment tool
*slave cylinder
*Both axels
*Complete front wiring harness(different sensors)
*ECU reprogrammed by GM
*Shifter
*shifting cables
*shifting cables bracket
*bolts to mount shifting cable bracket
*clutch pedal
*master cylinder with reservoar and lines

That is pretty much it, and knowing how to make it all work

Many people don't even think about the wiring harness but when you look at the plug in 4 speed trannies it has about 10-12 wires going to it and a couple of more sensors and a manual has only 2 sensors. If you cannot get the whole wiring harness because it is expensive or something, just get the VSS pigtail off a 5 speed and the reverse taillight pigtail (those are the only pigtails on the tranny), and I will let you know how to hook those up on your automatic wiring harness.

Manual tranny has mounts on it and these mounts are bolted on to these brackets that are welded on your chassis. So, that's what automatics lack (the brackets) You are gonna need the junk yard to hack them off the old car so you can weld them on yours. Also, you are gonna need to drill a hole in your firewall for the master cylinder. Also, you are going to need to bend your front driver brake line, but don’t break it!!!!

Bleed you clutch and your brakes and take it for a spin!! As you can see, I didn’t write that you have to take the dashboard off and your brake master cylinder and stuff because if you don’t know that all that has to come off, you should not be doing the swap. Also, in automatics, there is this one like a shifting cable that is under your carpet and it goes from your auto shifter to the ignition, that is there to prevent an auto tranny to be shifted by you if the keys are not in the ignition. Don’t fuk with it, just disconnect it and leave it where it is because it is somehow connected with the damn ignition and you are going to have to put ignition apart to be able to pull it off. Also, the clutch pedal sensor: The way you are going to wire this is, there are 2 wires coming out of the pedal sensor, one yellow and one purple. There is a thick yellow wire coming out of your ignition, on the left side of the steering wheel and splice the pedal yellow into ignition yellow.
Purple goes to the engine bay, right under your clutch master cylinder (now you have one since you came this far with the swap ), your wiring harness plugs one into another and there is a think yellow wire there and that is where the purple from the pedal plugs in. The thick yellow wire is there with another 40 wires and another at least 3 yellows, but a hint to be able to find it is, it is in one of the corners, all the way in the corner and it is beefy.

If you wanna over ride the sensor, so that you don’t have to push in the clutch every time you start the car, just connect those 2 wires where the pedal sensor is and pull the sensor out. Make sure that if you bypass this every time before you start the car and the clutch is not applied, the tranny has to be out of the gear, because the car ‘’’WILL’’’ jump!!!

All in all the work is not that bad when you think about it. LOL
I have swapped my car from a 2.2 3 speed to a 2.4 4 speed and now I am swapping in into a 5 speed and I did all this. I have done a total of 4 swaps on Cavies including mine and all of that were manuals beside mine, so I know what I am taking about. LOL

Trust me if you are not very mechanicly inclined don't even think about performing something like this by yourself just because your friend that owns a Civic told you that it is not hard. (I had to do this)

By the way you got to decide weather you wanna go with the Isuzu tranny or Getrag because those brackets for the mounts that you are gonna need to have welded, in Getrag are 5 inches more apart than in Isuzu, and shifter and shifter cablets, etc…. are different.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:48 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:

Motor-got it-96-98 would be easiest, but 99-02 would work fine.
Tranny- do not have but have a line on it-Your going to need to weld in new mounts for the 4T40E....or find an older quad4 3 speed, and figure out mounts. Since all quad4 and twin cams bolt right up to each other.
Auto wiring harness and ECU-Have one....You don't want to run all the LN2 stuff on the LD9 motor?..., and flash a LD9 tune to it. Kinda like ryan running the GM reflash on his LN2...
Power sterring pump and hoses-I have a spare set probably
Hoses
Intake manifold (motor I have has a LO manifold on it, do not really want to use)-I have a few extra you pay shippping, and I'll send one down..none I h ave have EGR.
Exhaust manifold-I have my 01 manifold and partial downpipe, but motor I have has a pacesetter header on it (will likely use header)
TB- I have a 57mm TB-What to sell / partical trade for a stock one?

What else??

Also will the 3 speed axles work on a 4 speed auto?- NOPE!-Also, you'll need to go to the junk yard and steal the inner passenger side hub, since all the new axles are made wrong...

Just a few thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:48 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:37 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

Motor-got it-96-98 would be easiest, but 99-02 would work fine.
Tranny- do not have but have a line on it-Your going to need to weld in new mounts for the 4T40E....or find an older quad4 3 speed, and figure out mounts. Since all quad4 and twin cams bolt right up to each other. Are we sure we have to swap/weld in the mount? never heard of this on the auto. I thought they mount to the same location in the car.
Auto wiring harness and ECU-Have one....You don't want to run all the LN2 stuff on the LD9 motor?..., and flash a LD9 tune to it. Kinda like ryan running the GM reflash on his LN2...No. I want plug and play.
Power sterring pump and hoses-I have a spare set probably
Hoses
Intake manifold (motor I have has a LO manifold on it, do not really want to use)-I have a few extra you pay shippping, and I'll send one down..none I h ave have EGR.
TB- I have a 57mm TB-What to sell / partical trade for a stock one?

What else??

Also will the 3 speed axles work on a 4 speed auto?- NOPE!-Also, you'll need to go to the junk yard and steal the inner passenger side hub, since all the new axles are made wrong...

Just a few thoughts.

I truly might have a ling on everything locally, but if I have to weld in the auto tranny mounts I wont do the swap. Either trash the car or stay 2200.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:38 PM
mike bisbee wrote:I have a running 98 2200 motor if you just want to cheap out and not build. Possibly trade for tuning or other work. have spare 3 speed too.

I am interested. More info on the motor? mileage?

FU Tuning

Friday, October 19, 2012 11:04 AM
I think with the auto cars the mounts are all bolt in and interchangeable.

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:08 AM
Cory for some reason. i do not think so. If i pull a ld9 4t40e this weekend I com pair the mounting on the spare ln2 4t40e i have.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 22, 2012 8:21 PM
Looks like you have most of the swap covered from what I can see, I did a 2000 2.4 5speed swap in my 99 with out a issue. Though what year 2.4 you going with? Along with what year pcm and harness you using? The only thing I might add to the hose part though I assume you are meaning them all. Is to get the 2.4 heater and radiator hoses. I was also under the impression the framerail portion of the mount is the same for all the auto's?

It's been awhile since I cut mine off which was the 4 speed 2200 one, but the 3 speed 2200 mount in my 2000 looks similar from what I have seen of it. As for the new axles for the auto what is the issue with them? All I remember is on the 4speed the one is female where you have to remove the stub shaft. Other then that never had a problem with the aftermarket auto axles. The 5 speed ones are a different story. All the getrag left axles from napa, advance and carquest are to short even down to the rebuilt ones. Where the cv joint/axle looks smaller then the stockers. Then driverside I believe is the same length but the cv joint is smaller then stock on the advance one I am running. Where I'm surprised it hasn't broke yet with the 3400.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search