3400 Rear Turbo Setup 90% Complete (PICS) - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 Rear Turbo Setup 90% Complete (PICS)
Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:56 PM
I have been working on this setup on and off all winter. Finally pulled it out today. Its still not road worthy, I have to switch back to the stock suspension springs on the rear because it sits to low to be comfortable with the ground clearance. As you can see theres only like 5 inches of clearance between the ground and the oil return line. Its been quite an adventure doing this setup. It spools up and blows off with little effort. The charge pipes run inside the cab. I still have to get a couple other things buttoned up.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Re: 3400 Rear Turbo Setup 90% Complete (PICS)
Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:19 PM
IN!!!

Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:39 PM
um.... i guess props for doing it but pipes should be ran underneath the car. neat other than that.

hope that fitting on the bottom of the turbo does get busted off...

Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:03 PM
Question.... what are you doing about the fuel pump? The stock pump with a turbo'd v6 has got to seriously be taxed if it's even able to keep up? Other than that, when can we expect to see videos?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:19 PM
charge pipe thru the middle of the effing car FTMFW!!!111!

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:05 AM
This looks badass and Im sure its going to be fast. But how is it even practical? Wont the setup underneath the car get damaged? Dont you think its going to get kind of hot in the car with the exhaust pipes running right inside?

Other than that, I cant wait to see a video

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:46 AM
Props for the set up but i really think putting the piping through the car should be re-routed. Just sort of takes away from a clean look. Good luck and can't wait to hear updates!

Monday, May 23, 2011 2:11 PM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:This looks badass and Im sure its going to be fast. But how is it even practical? Wont the setup underneath the car get damaged? Dont you think its going to get kind of hot in the car with the exhaust pipes running right inside?

That's not the exhaust pipe inside the car... but I would also think the inside temps would be warmer. Could you wrap the charge pipes or do you want the heat to dissipate?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, May 23, 2011 2:30 PM
Oedwards wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:This looks badass and Im sure its going to be fast. But how is it even practical? Wont the setup underneath the car get damaged? Dont you think its going to get kind of hot in the car with the exhaust pipes running right inside?

That's not the exhaust pipe inside the car... but I would also think the inside temps would be warmer. Could you wrap the charge pipes or do you want the heat to dissipate?

My thinking behind this is like the exhaust, keep the heat in and the velocity is higher, but I don't know if that's what you want with your intake charge.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, May 23, 2011 2:42 PM
Nice. Now you can say: "If you wanna ride, you gotta straddle my pipe." I want vids.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Monday, May 23, 2011 4:36 PM
Guys I completely understand the concerns about the charge pipe being inside the car but the car is to low to the ground to have cleared it running underneath the car. The pipes are bent to the contour of the inside of the car. It looks as good as it can. The exhaust is wrapped all the way back. I upgraded the fuel pump about a year ago actually. I put in a blazer pump. It also has the LS6 valve springs.

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:52 PM
Nitrous Nate wrote:

Put the blow off valve here pointed at the pass seat...

then get your girly friends to ride shotgun but only if they wear skirts...

/end_win

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, May 23, 2011 6:50 PM
Haa nice idea!

Monday, May 23, 2011 10:36 PM
i would probably take that off in a day up here haha

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:13 AM
M3ch wrote:i would probably take that off in a day up here haha

i would never even do that in the first place....

im sorry, but that is jank as @!#$. i wouldnt be caught dead doing anything like this.... you say your car is too low, i highly beg to differ. i can think of 10 cars off hand that are lower and still could run the pipes under. That just looks terrible. It can fit right along the frame rail, or buy some aluminum stock and make square charge pipes that are 1-2" tall. none of this through the car bogus crap. at this point you would have been better off spending the money on a custom manifold like raven has and putting the turbo under the hood.

I really hope there is more to the front bumper or another front bumper than just you cutting it off at that line.... that just looks lop sided and i cant even think of the words for this...

its like curtis's car but with a clean exterior and not a TERRIBLE engine bay.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:33 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
M3ch wrote:i would probably take that off in a day up here haha

i would never even do that in the first place....

im sorry, but that is jank as @!#$. i wouldnt be caught dead doing anything like this.... you say your car is too low, i highly beg to differ. i can think of 10 cars off hand that are lower and still could run the pipes under. That just looks terrible. It can fit right along the frame rail, or buy some aluminum stock and make square charge pipes that are 1-2" tall. none of this through the car bogus crap. at this point you would have been better off spending the money on a custom manifold like raven has and putting the turbo under the hood.

I really hope there is more to the front bumper or another front bumper than just you cutting it off at that line.... that just looks lop sided and i cant even think of the words for this...

its like curtis's car but with a clean exterior and not a TERRIBLE engine bay.

my tbird bottoms out very easily up here, and i would rather do the turbo setup right, or not at all

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:14 AM
Looks good until the last few pics. If it were me I would cut the spare tire pan out of the trunk then weld it in inverted. You would have a nice little section to tuck everything up into and wouldn't even need a hole in the trunk. Also any pipes toward the rear of the car will be hot side ic pipes anyhow. If your exhaust is wrapped just run that section of ic pipe next to the exhaust and/or get a bigger intercooler or water to air cooler. And drop it back down. I have seen cleaner figure 8 cars...
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:01 AM
I like the concept and the drive, Just needed more planing and cleaning up.

Not like you cant do it now, you did this much...SO keep it up

I would definetly move that turbo it seems hella low.

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:16 AM
Why did you put a FMIC on it? Youre losing so much boost. Think of how far air travels just to get into the engine. And your pipes running under the car (if they did) act as a cooler, eliminating the need for a FMIC. Set up is really cool, i just think you should do a bit more work. Like fix your floor and close those holes up.

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:32 AM
Ya extremely low clearance and too much unibody modification.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:53 PM
maybe run some import fighter side skirts, and then run the pipes along with them to hide.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:12 PM
Don't be discouraged, it's your car, you built it how you wanted. You put all the time and money in it, not us.

Personally I like it, would like to turbo my swap some day.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:18 PM
Make side skirts out of metal and use them as charge pipes.

Or cage it and do the same.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:58 PM
^^lol good idea... The car is what it is. I like it alot. Maybe some people would do it different, I wouldn't. I put alot of time into the R&D of this whole thing. Trust me I was nervous when I first started the car. I have an intercooler on it cause whats having a turbocharged car with no IC??? Alot of people don't understand that as soon as the turbo spools up its pushing the air thats right in front of the throttle plate. Weather you have 10ft of IC pipe of 10 miles of pipe. Sure gas compresses and it may take a little longer to get to max pressure but im about originality. And yes it is functional. I took it out tonight for the first time and wow, what a fun car this is. Its not what you buy or pay someone to do, Its what you build and put your blood, sweat and tears into to be original. And grow up people with some of the comments. Anywhoo...

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:09 PM
holy @!#$in fail.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search