VSS? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VSS?
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:53 PM
New to J-Body, originally from DSMTalk/DSMTuners and Clubcav. Started out with my old 01 Cavalier, had to sadly get rid of it due to Tranny issues. I have a chance to buy almost the exact same one (Rims/Tires/Exhaust/misc.). This time it is a manual. No rust or anything on it, only problems is, according to the owner. "The Speed Sensor is out, so the speedo doesn't work and the ABS lights are on due to it." Everything else was checked over, (Belts etc). Doing as much research as possible, there is a ABS Sensor and what not. Could any of this ACTUALLY effect the speedometer? If so, how much would you be looking at for cost/labor? Going to college, and need to see budget wise. Thanks!

Re: VSS?
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:02 PM
The VSS is separate from the ABS system. If it goes out, the ABS will still work.

At least it does in my car.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:20 PM
Hmm. So, if the VSS is out. Could their possibly be tranny issues, I read somewhere it was located on the side of the tranny.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:04 AM
Dunno, you don't have anything listed about your car other than "J-body". That's not helping you out much.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:34 AM
Well I haven't bought it yet, due to the fact of these problems. As I mentioned I am going to college, so I was hoping I could get a little more info haha.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:32 PM
Have you seen the car or can you look at it before you buy? Cause the VSS is very easy to get to just look at it and test it to see if it's working. Not sure whats with the ABS but I don't think it's related as SHO stated.

Is that a cavalier? ---Why yes.. Yes it is.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:40 PM
What are the specs of the car? What I said before I used for the Ecotec and I thought you said 02 (just assumed Eco).

Is that a cavalier? ---Why yes.. Yes it is.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:44 PM
To be honest. If you're in college you probably don't have the time to deal with it. I'd pass, there's more wrong with it than what they say.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:39 PM
I would SHO, but Im in automotive class. There are no DSMs in the area to work on, and I know a little bit about the LD9. I am taking your advice though, when I go see it tomorrow I believe. Going to give it a test drive and a good walk around. Tyler, its just like my old Z24 basicly. 2.4L Z24. Megan Cat-Back, AEM CAI. Manual. 137k Miles.
Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:12 PM
Short information update. Going to look at it sometime on Monday most likely or later that week. There is no tranny issues since the speedometer went out, but he has let it sit due to the odometer going out. It shifts fine and goes fine, no ticks or knocks. Even comes with a good, Pacesetter heads.
Friday, October 19, 2012 3:36 AM
Here's some extra things.

The Odometer doesn't work if the VSS isn't working, just like the speedometer doesn't. It should also have a check engine light showing either P0500 or P0502. (or maybe both). If it's not on, it should take it a couple of blocks of driving to realise that there's load on the engine (from being in gear, driving) and there's no VSS input, then turn the light on.

ABS uses it's own speed sensors at the wheels as it needs to read the speed of each wheel (even though we have a 3 channel system). So if the ABS light is on, there's a problem somewhere with the ABS system.

Pacesetter didn't make heads for these cars. And if they did, it would only come with one of them. That bit I'm sure you would know, from your automotive class........

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:41 AM
Let's see:

Megan cat-back, Pacesetter headers, AEM CAI, and VSS "went out"?

I suspect that the VSS was disabled, and the car has been abused.
I would personally walk away, unless you're interested in a potential project car.

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:42 PM
Ya, I agree and also the vss is tied to ABS everyone, just took the ASE A5 test and the ABS module looks to wheel speed for input on wheel spin FYI.

Friday, October 19, 2012 6:25 PM
Alrighty. Thanks for the info guys!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search