3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO - Page 8 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO
Friday, July 10, 2009 4:53 PM
don't do the bearings unless you really want to usually its the couple causing noise

JBO since July 30, 2001

Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:39 PM
Its been clarified, unless you are at stock height, and even that is pushing it, these oil lines will not clear. I will be lowered and the adapter block is 1.5" from the axle. I am resorting to NPT 90* fittings.

Good news and bad news... motor cranked, put a smile on my face... but before that as I was bleeding the clutch, about half way through, the slave gave out and started to leak. So it all has to come back out so I can change slaves and send this one back to Bully. Another issue is engine was getting no fuel, but the pump was getting power, so I will be dropping the tank this week to figure that out.

1 step forward, 4 steps back... but hearing it make noise finally and my autometer gauges coming to life made it somewhat worth the effort, still am aggravated as hell with the issues.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:00 PM

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:04 AM
you dink you scared me when you said it wasn't getting fuel until i read its getting powered what a load off my shoulders.

you should contact bully and find out about that clutch tho since it is a 3800 camaro part number maybe they sent you the wrong clutch that slave in the pic you messaged me is a getrag one thats for sure maybe that pressure plate is too thick and caused the slave to break. just tossing out options

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, July 13, 2009 6:04 AM
it runs....

that is all

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:06 AM
ive got a problem my car only has 5 lbs of boost with the 3.3 pulley im just putting gauges in now and i found that and its not the bypass valve any ideas?

Monday, July 13, 2009 8:23 AM
wiring at the bypass plugged in and getting power?

Monday, July 13, 2009 1:52 PM
wheres the boost gauges hooked up too

does it stumble when you hit 5 lbs if so get new plugs and wires

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, July 13, 2009 5:22 PM
Which cars are you guys using for donars? I have an olds eighty eight and I had a look at the back of the motor today when pulling it (which is a PITA btw, I hate that mamouth trans) and I have an oil filter relocation bracket that puts the filter beside the oil pan next to the crank pulley. I dont see how this would be in the way at all for the axel like you guys where saying before.

Anyone know what I'm talking about or should I snap some pics?

Monday, July 13, 2009 6:22 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:wheres the boost gauges hooked up too

does it stumble when you hit 5 lbs if so get new plugs and wires

i have the gauge hooked up to to hose that the map sensor and fpr are hooked to and it doesnt stumble just doesnt build anymore

Monday, July 13, 2009 6:58 PM
my engine is from a 96 riviera but of course, mines still sitting on the engine stand lol

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:46 AM
Are any of you running your original computer to power the car but the L67 PCM to run the motor?

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:54 AM
CraiGM wrote:Are any of you running your original computer to power the car but the L67 PCM to run the motor?
yep and i believe im the only one

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:03 AM
I'm planning on going with that setups as well. I have some ideas to ditch the stock computer tho but I'm leaving it in until I can verify they will work.
I havent really looked into it to much yet but all the sensors for the gauges are identical to the 2.2 that was in the car before like, vss, temp etc, so why cant I just use the L67 ecu to do the gauges if I wired it up properly. The only thing I see where i may have issues is the tach (but thats easy to sort out) and the fuel gauge. I have no idea what system the L67 uses to mesure fuel, might luck out and be the same (same years, so maybe) or it may be diffrent like the 00+ cavy's.

Like i said tho I havent really done the research on it yet, was just something I was thinking that looks like it should work out to me anyways. See what happens when i start wiring. I wont be playing with that until the engine is running, so its a while off.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:30 PM
mikieb510 wrote:
CraiGM wrote:Are any of you running your original computer to power the car but the L67 PCM to run the motor?
yep and i believe im the only one

Im trying to figure how to sort these questions... did you get your factory gauges to work?

Since your running 2 computers, do you have a seperate plugin to the L67 computer for like HPTuners? Or is it somehow tied in with the original?

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:15 PM
Mr_Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Which cars are you guys using for donars? I have an olds eighty eight and I had a look at the back of the motor today when pulling it (which is a PITA btw, I hate that mamouth trans) and I have an oil filter relocation bracket that puts the filter beside the oil pan next to the crank pulley. I dont see how this would be in the way at all for the axel like you guys where saying before.

I am using a 2000 GP GTP engine.

The filter housing you are referring to is not a relocation kit, that is where they are stock.

Trust me, the fittings I am using are in the way, I have verified it, I must use shorter NPT fittings.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:49 PM
Mr_Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Which cars are you guys using for donars? I have an olds eighty eight and I had a look at the back of the motor today when pulling it (which is a PITA btw, I hate that mamouth trans) and I have an oil filter relocation bracket that puts the filter beside the oil pan next to the crank pulley. I dont see how this would be in the way at all for the axel like you guys where saying before.

you obviously are looking at the w body subframe thers no vertical suppor ton the on the j body theres a big honking support braket

IT WONT RUB THE SHAFT UNLESS YOUR USE THE EQUAL LENGTH SHAFT TRANS. if you use that one it puts the CV hub where the filter is instead of inside by the flywheel as i described 2 pages ago

as for the PCM mike is running 2 PCMs everyone else is running L67 pcms and autometer gauges

20SN22S is going to be running an L67 PCM from an 04 impala to run factory 00+ guages. hes harness is done i just have to drop it off he is the first to do that with the 3800, the 3400 guys have been doin it for awhile and i think its the best way to go 2 PCMs requires way more more then what jeffs harness too
if jeff wanted the 2 PCM method i would have charged 200 more for it then what he paid me
all you have to do is swap out the dash harness to 00+ and your done plus the comonents that go with 00+.

once again for PCM questions READ the previous post its been talked about numerous times the reason i made this post was for the info to be in 1 place and to minimize threads from being started but if people are gonna not read the info then i will have them delete this thread. if you want clearifcation then post it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:30 PM
well i changed my supercharger today and still only 5 lbs of boost i think maybe my lower intake gaskets bad

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:28 PM
5lbs at what RPM and what gear

the only way is if the gaskets were fawked then you would be having bigger issues then only 5lbs

could be belt slip could be a bad bypass could be a bypass out of adjustment could be a crack in a vaccum hose no allowing the bypass to operate properly

but i get 5lbs in 4th untill the RPMS climb

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:16 PM
it was my boost gauge lol

Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:52 PM
I happened to notice a bunch of talk about running smaller pullies on your M90s, and thought I should post an informative link to pulley sizes and supporting mods. Many 3800 S/C cars have up to FIVE DEGREES of KR from the factory, even on 93 octane. It is very important that with any pulley change, you tune as well as scan for knock. Otherwise you may end up with chipped pistons. They key is to remember that with a smaller pulley you're creating more boost, and you need to be able to flow that out of the engine as efficiently as possible. Fuel, spark, boost, always go in that order. 3.4" pulley and 17-19* of timing > 3.2" pulley and 15* of timing. Just because you can make 16 lbs of boost on a 3.3" pulley doesn't mean you're making any more power, and odds are that a better tuned car with a larger pulley making less boost will beat you. Some of the faster M90ed cars only make 10-12psi of boost, but will run 12s.

Check it:
http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=2867792&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:57 PM
XDGT : 2000 GPGT (L67 build) wrote: Some of the faster M90ed cars only make 10-12psi of boost, but will run 12s.

I forgot to mention that the above quote was in reference to a WBody car. Js would naturally do a bit better do to their lighter weight.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:19 PM
Hope this clears up some of the PMs i have been getting

This shows how close my oil filte ris to the 00+ getrag shaft. yes there is rubbing on it but that was from a susspension issue i had to i was playing with the engine location to correct it and i moved the engine too much turns out it was a loose control arm bolt but when the engines in its current location that shaft make no contact out of the 6 oil filters i have had on my car only 1 had rubbing and it was me that caused it

this picture is a little blurry and applies to 95-99 5 spd cars switching to 00-02 getrag transmission. you can see the oval factory trans bolt location then you can see how much the bolt was moved towards the fron of the car, also notice the accual bracket is notched near the trans. 00+ cars already have this done from GM. i think i moved it 3/4 to the centre of the oval hole much more then that you will have issues with the coil packs making contact with the rad support

This picture shows the notching i did to the frame rail re-enforcement patch i wouldn't have had issues but depends on your engine location i did it just to make sure i had no issues better same then sorry

Picture of the J body Engine fuse panel after the W body harness was connected and necessary changes were made
any harness i make gets one of these, the colour is an option this is Jeffs (20sn22s) cover. just have to remove the little bubbles from it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:08 PM
I was doing some reading on an unrelated topic and found out that the LSJ uses a 8 bolt flywheel. Any chance this is the same bolt pattern as the L67? I imagine the LSJ flywheel would be a lot easier to find, require no machine work and have a decent aftermarket as far as clutches are concerned.
Anyone tried this or confirm weather or not they are the same pattern?

Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:00 PM
accually the LSJ flywheel would be harder to find since its a newer motor

and NO it wont work its a stepped flywheel

i think its diameter might be different too theres lots of 3800 flywheels out there you just have to pay to have them shipped i know theres a few in the southern states
car-part.com check there you will find some thats how i found mine it was in quebec and i live in ontario they had it at my door next day

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, July 27, 2009 4:36 PM
Stepped flywheel's are fun.......... ugh.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search