2000 sunfire L61 (2.2 Ecotec) swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 sunfire L61 (2.2 Ecotec) swap
Friday, October 19, 2012 11:48 AM
Greetings ,

I have a 2000 Sunfire with a 2.4 that I am in the process of swapping an L61 (2.2 Ecotec) from a 2004 Cavalier . Both are auto (4T40E), (MN4) transmissions.

I have read the swap guide and am very comfortable doing the swap , only question that I have and have not been able to verify with the search feature is that the Cavalier does not have ABS or traction control option whereas the Sunfire has these options .

If I use the engine harness and ECM from the L61 in the cavalier and plug it in to the Sunfire at C100 under the brake booster , do the passlock relearn , what will happen with the traction control and ABS system on the Sunfire ? Will I have ABS light or T/C light on ? Will the transmission still shift properly ? Any other systems affected?

The Sunfire is basically a loaded model , whereas the Cavalier is a stripped daily driver.

Any help will be appreciated , I thank you in advance.

TOM

Re: 2000 sunfire L61 (2.2 Ecotec) swap
Friday, October 19, 2012 12:34 PM
you will need the full harness

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:03 PM
you wont have abs but you will have traction control but you wont have abs you will need to find a harness for a car with both auto and abs

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, October 19, 2012 5:46 PM
Thanks for the replys,

So if I use the harness I have , I will have no ABS .

Other than not having it , which is not a problem for me, are there any other drawbacks ? I was planning on swapping the Master cylinder and brake valve by the master cylinder from the Cavalier to the Sunfire to eliminate the ABS anyway.

I didn't know the traction control would still function , that is good to know .

Hope this all goes well , engine is out and the Ecotec is all but ready to go in

Thanks again

TOM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search