Got a Shot at a 1998 Z24 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Got a Shot at a 1998 Z24
Friday, November 02, 2012 9:14 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking at a '98 Z24 that some guy is selling. I have first grabs at it. It's teal with the alloys painted white. The car has 09k miles on it, with 50k miles on the motor. The guy told me that the previous owner (old lady who loved the car and bought it new had the dealership replace the motor (I'm guessing because of oil starvation, he doesn't have a receipt or anything for it, lady didn't give him one)). He recently had a new clutch and fuel pump put in by a shop and has receipts for it.

The car is petty solid, minimal rust. There's a little just under the passenger door where something was hit because there's a dent (it's clearly only surface rust), but there's also a good bit under the car's trunk and rear bumper support. Doesn't look like stage four cancer or anything.

The interior needs a little TLC, carpet is worn on the passenger side down to the fibers in a couple spots, and I'll need to replace the top of the dash because one of the clips is broken so it doesn't fasten down. Gauges work, A/C blows cold, heater works, all the switches work and there are no leaks in the sunroof or doors. ABS light is on (not a big deal, was planning to rip the ABS fuse our anyway because I hate ABS. Airbag light is also on and the owner claims it's been on since he's owned the car.

Scanned the computer with a tool, readiness monitors are good and there are no codes for anything. Car runs good and pulls hard. I don't care much for the feel of the clutch compared to my '01 Cavy, transmission shifted good for me but owner says there is a slight grind in third sometimes. Shifter cable might just need tightening.

He wants $2500 firm and I'm gonna take it for one more test drive tomorrow.

Is there anything I really need to know about the LD9 before buying it? I was told to listen for lifter tick and will do that tomorrow. Grandfather who sells used cars gave it a once over and said for a New York 98 it was in good condition, and then expressed his dislike for non-Fords and Cavaliers and how it was a cheesy car lol.

Re: Got a Shot at a 1998 Z24
Friday, November 02, 2012 9:17 PM
Sorry, typo, I meant to say 90k on the car and 50k on the motor. Not 09k lol.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:58 PM
Decided to go for it. Put down a deposit and will be taking delivery and paying the car in full on Monday when the banks are open. >_<

Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:57 PM
sounds like a good call. just remember to watch the oil level, it will go low and if you take hard turns you can starve the cylinders of oil
i am in ct so if you are close and need anything let me know

Sunday, November 04, 2012 8:12 AM
Mike (Needs Boost) wrote:sounds like a good call. just remember to watch the oil level, it will go low and if you take hard turns you can starve the cylinders of oil
i am in ct so if you are close and need anything let me know

Sounds good. I'm pretty excited about this car. Hardly slept last night lol.

Oil looked good and there was no lifter tick. And thanks to this forum I know that it requires 4.5 quarts of oil when you change the oil and filter. It will be well maintained.

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:51 AM
If I remember right if you pull the abs fuse it will still light the light. If I had to guess it is a speed sensor wire or bad sensor. That or it has the issue my 99 had where the abs brain thing on the side of the master cylinder was screwed. Where I finally switched it before my swap and been fine since.
Monday, November 12, 2012 10:55 AM
Also my 2.4 was a 2000 model so I believe it had all the revisions done by then. How ever I beat on it every day and pulled it with 160k or so on it. Made no lifter noise or anything of that nature, actually sounded better then my moms 05 ls sport she bought new that has 54k on it now. Though one key advise do yourself a favor and check to see if the water pump is leaking which is at the back of the motor. Around 100k is when I've seen them start going where it may not have a new motor like you think. If it is do some talking as it is cheap but a pain to change.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:55 PM
Zero leaks and a few minor cosmetic things that need to be fixed. Synchro is going for third gear but I'm gonna go Getrag so I could care less lol. It's got a '99 motor in it that only has 50k on it. Purple O2 sensor wire and says 1999 w/ EGR on the sticker on the cam gear cover. That means new water pump and oil passages and higher compression.

Boom.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:16 PM
whyte rims?

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Friday, November 23, 2012 4:05 PM
Nice deal body looks good, though I never paid attention to the sticker on my timing cover. How ever what does a purple wire o2 sensor have to do with the motor? As I recall though been for ever since I did my swap. Though all ld9's from 97 to 99 is a one wire o2 and knock sensor, where as 00+ is two wires for both. Where I want to say the ones I have seen that is single is purple. On another note I would swap for a isuzu unless you really want a getrag. Where it will be harder to find one being a 2 year thing and doesn't bolt in.
Friday, November 23, 2012 11:43 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:whyte rims?

Yep. Previous owner painted them. Haven't decided whether to keep them that way or remove the paint and polish them out.

2fast4u88 wrote:Nice deal body looks good, though I never paid attention to the sticker on my timing cover. How ever what does a purple wire o2 sensor have to do with the motor? As I recall though been for ever since I did my swap. Though all ld9's from 97 to 99 is a one wire o2 and knock sensor, where as 00+ is two wires for both. Where I want to say the ones I have seen that is single is purple. On another note I would swap for a isuzu unless you really want a getrag. Where it will be harder to find one being a 2 year thing and doesn't bolt in.

According to this site's differences in LD9's, the 99 had a purple wire. And I really want a Getrag. I loved that transmission in my '01. Best the crap out of it for almost 5 years and it still shifts perfect. There's a U-Pull-It that's about an hour away that charges 100 for a transmission or motor and you get a thirty day warranty. For a deal like that it's not a big deal if the new transmission craps out. It's still way cheaper than buying a new one or having this one rebuilt.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search