Problem with seat belt warning light - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with seat belt warning light
Monday, December 03, 2012 5:25 PM
Hey all, I've got a 98 sunfire with a weird problem with the seat belt warning light. With the belt buckled the light stays on and then starts to flash and eventually turns off as if its timed out, also the warning alarm that used to sound to remind you to buckle up doesn't sound anymore... but when I'm driving it'll sometimes flash intermittently like theres a loose connection. I've checked the plug under the seat and also disconnected the C200 harness plug in the kick panel and the problem persists. Any ideas?? Please

Re: Problem with seat belt warning light
Monday, December 03, 2012 5:31 PM
you probably have a bad buckle, theres a switch in it. I had to do this to one of my cavies.,
Monday, December 03, 2012 6:04 PM
Thanks but Ive unplugged the connector and bridged the terminals and the problem is still there so the buckle is good
Monday, December 03, 2012 10:24 PM
I thought there was only one wire that ran to the buckle. Then the buck itself grounds the wire when the seat belt is connect. At least that is how most cars are. When the wire is not grounded the light is on.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, December 03, 2012 11:32 PM
Guess its different on the sunfire, when the buckle is inserted it opens or closes the circuit to shut off the light.
Tuesday, December 04, 2012 10:08 AM
SOLVED!
After tearing the dash out to check for loose connections and bad grounds it turned out to be moisture in the fuse box, all of the fuses had a brown film covering them. Upon further inspection the firewall grommet had been pulled out and had been letting in a small amount of water which im guessing had been evaporating up in that direction. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Friday, December 07, 2012 2:21 PM
when did j bodys have a chime for the seat belt i have never seen (heard this), hell my 04 express 2500 doesn't either

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, December 07, 2012 10:40 PM
It goes as soon as you start the car. If you buckle up before you crank it over... no chime.
Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:23 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:when did j bodys have a chime for the seat belt i have never seen (heard this), hell my 04 express 2500 doesn't either

Mine chimes..... or used to anyways.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, December 10, 2012 4:50 PM
oh i just though that was a self check kinda thing but i never buckle up first

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search