guage cluster swap! - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
guage cluster swap!
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:24 PM
anyone tried or attempted on swapping a z24 guage cluster with tach into a 96 or so on cavalier 2.2L 5 speed. and does everything work?

Re: guage cluster swap!
Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:42 PM
solong as its from the same year group (96-98 mechanical, 98 digital-99) it will work fine.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:54 AM
You'll have to do the passkey relearn thing after the swap or it wont start. But that's minor, and easy to do.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:41 AM
Cool. I think Ill swap the z24 cluster into my 00 base model. Would be nice to have a tach

Infantry!!!
Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:35 AM
SHOoff wrote:You'll have to do the passkey relearn thing after the swap or it wont start. But that's minor, and easy to do.

How would one go about doing such a thing.I have a whitefaced cluster from a 96-98 GT that i would possibly want to put into a future jbody or the same years.That or i'm going to sell it.

Rememeber kids... spell check is your friend
Monday, January 14, 2008 7:10 PM
Schaffer wrote:
SHOoff wrote:You'll have to do the passkey relearn thing after the swap or it wont start. But that's minor, and easy to do.

How would one go about doing such a thing.I have a whitefaced cluster from a 96-98 GT that i would possibly want to put into a future jbody or the same years.That or i'm going to sell it.

teh faq wrote:PASSlock relearn procedure
PASSlock is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the fuel injectors unless the lock cylinder is engaged by the correct mechanical key. The theft deterrent system uses four components for theft prevention:

- the lock cylinder
- the ignition switch
- the instrument cluster (IPC, 96-99 models) or body control module (BCM, 00-05 models)
- the Powertrain Control ModuleSee ECM. (PCM)

If one or more of these components are replaced, then the PASSlock system must be reprogrammed. The procedure is different between 96-99 and 00-05 J-cars.

Fuel Password Learn Procedure

In order for a theft detterrent vehicle to run, a password is communicated between the Intrustment Panel Cluster (IPC) and the PCM. If a PCM is replaced, the new PCM needs to learn the correct password of the vehicle. When the new PCM is installed, the EEPROM calibration is flashed into the new PCM and the vehicle will learn the new password upon initial ignition ON. If the IPC/BCM is replaced, the PCM needs to learn the new password from the IPC/BCM. The password learn procedure is as follows:

96-99 J-car

1. Attempt to start the vehicle, then leave the ignition ON. The THEFT SYSTEM light telltale will flash for 10 minutes.

2. When the THEFT SYSTEM telltale stops flashing, start the vehicle. Once the vehicle is running, the password is learned.

00-05 J-car

1. Turn ON the igniton, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, it will be flashing. After approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords, on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You MUST turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.

7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will clear themselves after 100 ignition cycles.

http://www.j-body.org/faq//98/

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:54 PM
You can swap 95-99 Cavalier clusters into Sunfires (or vice versa) but you need to re-pin the connector, as a few pins moved around... in addition to the Passlock re-learn mentioned above. You'll have to live with the mileage on the new cluster, unless you open them up and swap the bits.

00-05 clusters are interchangeable... Cav/Fire whatever... and you'll keep the mileage your car has, it will transfer to the new cluster as soon as you start it up for the first time after the swap. The mileage is stored in the BCM.

...j

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:51 PM
John Lenko wrote:You can swap 95-99 Cavalier clusters into Sunfires (or vice versa) but you need to re-pin the connector, as a few pins moved around...

Not quite that simple.

You need the plug from the other vehicle, as the Cavalier and Sunfire clusters on 95-99's use different plugs. If you can get the plug and a few inches of the harness from the car, it's not hard to wire it up. IIRC, the color coding is the same between them, so just plug tan-tan, black-black, pink-pink, etc.. I have the wiring diagrams and a few clusters downstairs, but I'm too lazy to go check right now.
Also, if it's a 96+, you can't use the 95 cluster because it has no Theftlock.

Also, keep in mind that it takes a little bit of work for them to fit, because they're slightly different shapes.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:18 AM
Ok, I stand corrected... I've never done it, but I was under the impression that it was the same connector. Now that I look in Si, it's totally different.

I guess as long as you keep the two light blues and two dark blues correct, it'll be an easy swap

Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:21 AM
what about putting 2000 +sunfire gauges in a cavalier 2000+..... do you have to re-pin the connector? Is it very hard to do?

2000 z24 Cavalier
Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:18 PM
2000+ are an easy swap, just plug-n-play.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:25 PM
cool thanks do i have to replace the hole dash or will it fit right in?

2000 z24 Cavalier
Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:01 PM
They'll fit right in. It's the 95-99 that are different shapes and plugs.

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:33 PM
how do i no if i have a digital or manual i have a 98 cavalier base model
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:34 AM
Adam Lewis wrote:how do i no if i have a digital or manual i have a 98 cavalier base model

Ummm...I'm assuming you're talking about the odometer.

Look at it next time you sit in your car. Is it digital or mechanical? (the real simple answer is do you have to turn the car on to read your mileage?)
[/fnot]

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:12 AM
digital is basically that. its a screen with digital numbers on it. mechanical is the tumblers. when i swapped out my cluster, i just took out the tumbler of my old cluster and put the new one in. dont try to roll back the numbers though because if you do it will put a red like thru all the numbers and you'll be @!#$.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:02 PM
Actually, I think with the 95-98 clusters, the odo will break if you try to roll it back. I tried once when I was swapping a cluster, and even taking it apart, they would not turn in reverse. I didn't force too hard, but I'm betting it will break if you do.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:53 PM
ook i was thinking something else
Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:24 PM
What about the theft code that is stored in the cluster?? Can that code be relearned with the PASS Key trick???
Friday, December 28, 2012 3:31 PM
you bumpped a 4 year old post for that

theres no code stored in a cluster a theft light gets tiggered and turned on the only thing involved is a lightbulb

if you theft light happens to come on do a re learn prodeure

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, December 28, 2012 7:49 PM
Yup, I bumped a 4 year old post for that....

Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:53 PM
You bumped a 4 year old post to ask for information that was already posted in the same thread?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search