Drivers side Cv Axle replacement - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drivers side Cv Axle replacement
Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:43 PM
I'm replacing my Cv axle on the drivers side because it broke on me yesterday. My car is an 04 5sp cavy with ABS I've done it before but thats in the shop Ihave to do this on the ground now so it'll be a lot more nerve racking to do. My question is can anybody tell me a short cut or a way to make things easier on me, what tools do I need I'm thinking the Axle nut is a 28mm the nut on the tie rod end is a 19mm I believe My sway link is a 14mm but does anybody know the size of the castle nut on the balljoint though..... Like I said does anybody have an idea or a short cut to make this process as easy as possible?

Re: Drivers side Cv Axle replacement
Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:50 PM
remove the axel nut and the two strut nuts and bolts no need to remove the tie rod or sway link. you should be able to remove the end of the axel by pulling down on the rotor and pulling the axel to the side. take your 19mm wrench and wedge it inbetween the trans and axel and either push it or give it a kick and it should pop out.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:05 AM
Axle nut is a 30mm then undo the caliper 3/8 allen and flop it over as to not tear the line and a 15mm to hold the strut bolt and a 22mm for the nut.... back the nut off till the end of the nut matches the bolt... as to not damage the threads... take a BFH Big F**kin Hammer also do this on the axle as to not (Mushroom) the end of the axle... then Bam Boom its out

Erik Packard
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:57 PM
jons2000z24 wrote:remove the axel nut and the two strut nuts and bolts no need to remove the tie rod or sway link. you should be able to remove the end of the axel by pulling down on the rotor and pulling the axel to the side. take your 19mm wrench and wedge it inbetween the trans and axel and either push it or give it a kick and it should pop out.

Then he has to get it aligned, because the camber will be out, What a stupid idea!

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:10 AM
not by much ive done it many times better then messing with the ball joint and taking the chance of ripping the boot.... so its either that way or the strut bolts.... ive done it a million times the easiest way is the strut bolts if they are stock they only adj .01= or - so please sir unless you do this on a daily basis dont chime in with "what a stupid Idea!!!!!!

Erik Packard
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:14 AM
Ricozero wrote:not by much ive done it many times better then messing with the ball joint and taking the chance of ripping the boot.... so its either that way or the strut bolts.... ive done it a million times the easiest way is the strut bolts if they are stock they only adj .01= or - so please sir unless you do this on a daily basis dont chime in with "what a stupid Idea!!!!!!

this. on unslotted struts, it wont be out any further than what hitting a pot hole would do.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search