LS4 swap. Not a lot of chatter about this one? - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LS4 swap. Not a lot of chatter about this one?
Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:55 PM
Im striking out. I remember reading about Fiero guys having a group purchase for a flywheel to put in front of a F40. As well as FieroGuru making his own flywheel for his swap.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:04 PM
I haven't been able to find much either, but it wouldn't be too difficult to get the flywheel surface material to attach to the LS4 flexplate or, if the LN2 has a different flywheel bolt pattern, have the LN2 flywheel holes welded shut and drilled out to the LS4 pattern. To run an F23 would just require a performance clutch kit for the LN2, an F40 would probably require a custom clutch and a TOB spacer.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:07 PM
A custom flywheel would be needed for f40, as the f40 has increase distance from crankshaft to trans face as the f40 is designed to use a dual mass flywheel

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:20 PM
I am aware of the extra distance needed for an F40, I do own one. There are A LOT of complications with trying to get an F40 to fit and the dual mass flywheel is too much of a pain to try and modify to fit. Custom would probably be the easiest, as then you can just get an off the shelf clutch to fit, but I don't think it would be worth it as I think an F23 would hold up to the power of an LS4 better than the F40.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:34 PM
I agree with the f23, as they are plentiful to find if you should happen to break the trans. Also it eliminates any potential issues with axles.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:42 PM
Nic Crosby wrote:I haven't been able to find much either, but it wouldn't be too difficult to get the flywheel surface material to attach to the LS4 flexplate or, if the LN2 has a different flywheel bolt pattern, have the LN2 flywheel holes welded shut and drilled out to the LS4 pattern. To run an F23 would just require a performance clutch kit for the LN2, an F40 would probably require a custom clutch and a TOB spacer.

Welding the holes shut would probably be the most cost effective route if you have access to a good machine shop. Which I does That would pretty much rule out aluminum flywheels in my mind because of needing to have the welded area heat treated and normalized and stress relieved and what not. Plus I dont care for light flywheels. I dont know about everyone else though.

A 6 puck or something similar would almost be a much. Id torch a stock clutch in like a day haha.I have a feeling the LN2 clutch and flywheel package would fit and work without needing any material removed or shims added. But its pretty much impossible to tell without having parts in hand. All depends on where the crank sits relative to the trans input shaft. It should be the same as a 3800 but who knows.

The F23 has ALWAYS been my choice for a trans for the exact reasons already listed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:44 PM

Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:18 PM
If your going to have a flywheel welded up and redrilled, I would suggest maybe looking into an ld9 flywheel, if it specs out at the same thickness. if I recall correctly they are larger diameter, and would allow you to use a dual disc should you need it.

Friday, March 29, 2013 1:58 PM
I got lucky with my F40, I think with my set-up and where I live, I could do the F40 swap cheapest and easiest. If I blow it up, a half hour drive and $400 and I can have a brand new one off the shelf, and I don't have to do too much custom work to fit it.

Quote:

I have a feeling the LN2 clutch and flywheel package would fit and work without needing any material removed or shims added. But its pretty much impossible to tell without having parts in hand. All depends on where the crank sits relative to the trans input shaft. It should be the same as a 3800 but who knows.

I would assume that to be right, but like you said, need the parts in hand to know.

Quote:

If your going to have a flywheel welded up and redrilled, I would suggest maybe looking into an ld9 flywheel, if it specs out at the same thickness. if I recall correctly they are larger diameter, and would allow you to use a dual disc should you need it.

That may be an idea, then just cut a hole in the F23 and mount and a later model LD9 starter on it.

Friday, March 29, 2013 5:28 PM
3800 engines are balanced off the flywheels the flywheels must be install in a certain position 1 bolt hole is OVAL if not the rotating assembly will be out of balance and wearout early don't think any of the LSx engines are this way.. you could likely use an ls1 rwd flywheel and do what the 3800s have to do.

as for sub frames the factory ones are the same from 95-02 doesn't matter what engines in the car, 03-05 subframe is different as only 1 engine was available

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, April 01, 2013 2:51 PM
The flywheel on a Camaro is 14.1" and the one on a Cav is 11.9". Im not sure how tight it is in the bellhousing on an F23 but there may be a clearance issue.

Monday, April 01, 2013 3:13 PM
how do you figure i hve a camero flywheel in my 3800SC thats the way you get the flywheel for an FWD
you machine it from camero thickness to cavalier thickness then get a clutch for a 2200SFI getrag . you will need to leave some becuase you will need a trans spacer so it will bolt up

JBO since July 30, 2001

Monday, April 01, 2013 3:16 PM
I think I have read that the FWD LS4 uses a smaller flexplate than the RWD ones.

Monday, April 01, 2013 5:16 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:how do you figure i hve a camero flywheel in my 3800SC thats the way you get the flywheel for an FWD
you machine it from camero thickness to cavalier thickness then get a clutch for a 2200SFI getrag . you will need to leave some becuase you will need a trans spacer so it will bolt up

Ya I know how the 3800 swap works. The V6 camaro flywheel is the same diameter is the Cavalier one. Unless Im misunderstanding you.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:11 PM
so why can't you use an LSx manual flywheel on the LS4??????

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:28 PM
Because the LS4 uses a different bellhousing pattern for the FWD. For the LS6 swap link I posted on the previous page, they had a GM concept motor where GM tig welded the M6 bolt pattern to the block, it can't physically house as large of a flywheel. I believe they go from 142 tooth to 169 tooth.

Reference:

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:36 PM
Yessir. Beat me to the show. I dont think a 14 inch flywheel would fit in a Getrag let alone mount to a Cavalier clutch.

Kind of thinking an upgraded fuel pump would be a good thing to add to the list of things that would need to be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:13 PM

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:14 PM
this engine will hang past your framerail by about 3 inches, i was considering thie before the 3.4/3.5 im building now. I had one available for mock up. If you were down for re-centering the power train and makein custom axles and what not i suppose it could be done.
Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:25 PM
Thats majorly disappointing. Did you bolt everything together or how did you go about doing the mockup?

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:40 PM
no bolting anyhting together i had a local shop with an impala ss missing the front core due to a wreck. I measured the width of the engine then too that measuremnt from the transmission over to the passenger side of the. Pretty short lived idea lol.That and you cant touch on for a decent price. cheapest i found was something like $1400 and it was burnt so no wiring of pcm bits.
Friday, April 12, 2013 5:51 PM
this swap wont be cheap thats for sure, engines are hard to find its not like it was a large production car they came in. its like series 3 sc engine came in 04-07 GTP and 1 buick car series 2 different story

this swap you would need deep pockets an LS1 would be cheaper but its bigger and harder to fit

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, April 12, 2013 7:49 PM
I think it would fit, but by no means would it be cheap. If anyone within a relatively close distance were to try, I would help out, just to see this done.

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:26 PM
I wish I could do this, been really wanting to for at least the past year or two. But I don't have the money or means at this time.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:17 AM
it should fit with some moding of things but the cost is the kicker northstar got done cause those motors are cheap

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:24 PM
A while ago, I found one locally for $800 WITH the transmission. Only thing would have been to make custom axles... but since my L67 still works, I wasn't really in the market for another swap.
Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:01 AM
John Lenko wrote:A while ago, I found one locally for $800 WITH the transmission. Only thing would have been to make custom axles... but since my L67 still works, I wasn't really in the market for another swap.

What kind of an attitude is that Lenko? Haha.

I found quite a few LS4s for under $1000 within driving distance from me. I guess "expensive" is all relative. I'm sure I could come in a lot cheaper on an LS4 swapped Cavalier than a K20 swapped Civic.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search