LS4 swap. Not a lot of chatter about this one? - Page 3 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LS4 swap. Not a lot of chatter about this one?
Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:46 PM
One thought I had on the flywheel and clutch issue is why not see what set up some Fiero guys use for when they swap to either the LSx motors. I see that V-8 Archie has billet flywheels for about $200 each. I dunno how much any of their clutch systems go for or if they sell them.

Also, I was thinking about the ECM and harness, instead of using the original LS4 ECM, why not a manual LS1 or LS2 ECM? I rather not deal with the DBW system, I prefer the cable.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803

Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:27 PM
its mostlike a LS1 PCM that would get used just simplicity sake if, you could do the DBW setup but i find them slow reaction compared to a cable.
push pedal - cable pulls butterfly open
or
push pedal - signal goes to PCM - PCM opens buttlerfly.

i had a DBW on my 05 equinox and i hatted it and my 12 acadia obviously has it its better then the equinox was but still no match to the old cable

are fiero guys using the LS4 , last i saw they had space for the LS1 or less dinking around to get space then us

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:36 PM
The group West Coast Fiero offers a kit to do an LS4 swap, but have no info on the site for a flywheels from what I can see.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:14 PM
The problem with DBW isnt the actual latency of the signal. Its the way the PCM neuters the throttle position. On a lot of LS4s you may only see 80% throttle butterfly opening at WOT on the pedal.

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:09 PM
DBW is GAY

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, April 22, 2013 6:33 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:DBW is GAY

Incredibly.

There's a burned out LS4 Impala at the local Pull n Pay. Im going to take a tape measure to next time I make it there.

Monday, April 22, 2013 7:29 PM

x3

I think the only issue you will have is with the water pump pulley, as it stick 3.5" past the crank, but if you go with an electric water pump and reroute the belt, you shouldn't have that issue.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:25 PM
Nic Crosby wrote:

x3

I think the only issue you will have is with the water pump pulley, as it stick 3.5" past the crank, but if you go with an electric water pump and reroute the belt, you shouldn't have that issue.

Thats 3 1/2" on the LS1, right? The LS4 is "supposed" to have a slim accessory drive. Hopefully the weather is decent this weekend, and I'll make a stop at the PnP to verify. I think I'm going to end up there for parts to fix up my friends Monte Carlo anyways.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:41 PM

Yeah, the LS4 has a single accessory drive belt. There are a couple Fiero conversion kit suppliers that have a bracket to mount the alternator down low if you were to do an LS1/2/3/6/7.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:45 PM
The alternator relocate is mainly because of hatch clearance on Fieros. Same dealio with L67 swaps. Its just not as bad so you can notch the hatch a bit. I havent looked at Nota2.4 or Nics builds in awhile but I "think" there should enough clearance up to. If not. ricer hood spacers.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:51 PM
Quote:

Thats 3 1/2" on the LS1, right?

I was looking at the measurements from the OP, so probably

Brian wrote:The alternator relocate is mainly because of hatch clearance on Fieros. Same dealio with L67 swaps. Its just not as bad so you can notch the hatch a bit. I havent looked at Nota2.4 or Nics builds in awhile but I "think" there should enough clearance up to. If not. ricer hood spacers.

I have lots of hood clearance, especially with the alternator, though my engine is sitting as low as possible.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:33 AM
Hum, this is interesting. I'm glad we are finally getting some thinking outside the box on things.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:47 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Hum, this is interesting. I'm glad we are finally getting some thinking outside the box on things.

You should know me by now Mike. I like to rip the box apart and shit on it.

Plus its the fun side of engineering.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:12 PM
i got a pile of clearance on the hood
just an FYI i had an Shortstack IC setup on my engien and that raises the SC up and inch and i still had almost 2 inches left might have been less in some spots but the SC was higher then the alt and the stock hood closed.

if someone wanted to do this i would build the harness FREE except you pay for shipping me the harness and shipping back

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:56 PM
Don't tempt me. I may actually consider that just to have it as motivation to actually do this.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:23 PM
Brian wrote:Don't tempt me. I may actually consider that just to have it as motivation to actually do this.

Do it! I'll help with whatever I can for the cost of a couch to sleep on and food. If I had the money, I'd be tempted to do it with the cav, it would make (tabs) happy.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:25 PM
offer stands

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search