3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO - Page 3 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO
Friday, June 05, 2009 11:59 PM
I think I have the wiring figured out now, I've been looking at the schematics and from what I understand I'm basically making one harness out of the cavy harness and the olds harness by tieing them together through the cavy fuse panel. Then the gauges I'll worry about after its running, but they seem pretty strait foreward. I'll find out soon enough and I'm sure I'll be back for help.
How did you do your piggy back mike? just give power to the stock ecu to work the speedo and tap into the alt and temp sensor wires to give both ecu's the reading? or is there more to it than that?

Its looking like there is no way I can avoid a tune, seeing I have to get the VATS and the auto trans settings removed. Is there someone on here who I can send the ECU to? I dont want to buy all the stuff to do it for a one time use, and I wouldnt know what to do once i got inside the ecu anyways.
NOTa2_4, who did your ecu? I'm in your general area, do you know someone around here who can get a hold of?

My other road block is finding the flywheel. I'm afriad to go custom only cause of what i've heard about the flywheel balancing the engine. Is the flywheel weighted more on one side than the other or something? I cant see them doing that tho. As long as my flywheel is in balance with itself will i run into any problems? anyone ever have any issues with custom flywheels?
Obviously I'm still keeping an eye out for an f body one but i'm not having much luck. havent been looking that long tho either so we'll see.

Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:08 AM
I was only trying to avoid a tune cause this is a super budget project, the cavy was given to me for parts for my race car but its in to good of shape to strip and scrap. I bought the olds off a friend for $100 and I have enough scrap steel laying around to make the mounts and cradle up. I'm hitting the $50 all you can carry at standard auto wreckers next week for the other odds and ends I need. Like a real isuzu tranny or a getrag, and the big brake parts. Plus i sold the motor out of the cavy for $300 so I've made money so far doing this swap, lol
I just dont want to break the bank for a tune, I'm trying to keep this cheap but it looks like a tune is a must.... but it will run better in the long run and i can eliminate a lot of issues with a tune, and the speed limiter after watching a few L67 cavys go down the strip, they get moving pretty good.

Saturday, June 06, 2009 8:51 AM
first off not a very good cheap project i got my parts car given to me and i still have 1500 into my car the clutch you need is around 500 alone

Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:39 AM
Oh i know that, I just mean this can be done for under 5000 or something like everyone is saying in the forums. I do all my own work and welding and I dont want to spend money where it isnt needed. But i was saying its looking like a tune is needed, when i was hoping it wasnt. All my money is going into the clutch and flywheel and a few other odds and ends, those are the big two tho.

Any sugestions on what clutch is best? I was thinking spec, but I've heard mixed opinions about them.

Saturday, June 06, 2009 2:54 PM
i have a spec matt has a spec and i think issak has a spec but not sure but i do know it is the most affordable stage 3 clutch and mine works great

Sunday, June 07, 2009 6:29 PM
mike and i both ahave stage 3 specs i wish i bought a 3+ and would reccommend doin so the 3 works i have 13 000km on mine and still no slipping

isaak has no clutch but is getting a bully should be here in a week or 2

i wired isaaks car since i'm in ontario if you want i can do yours aswell. what year of J body do you have for this swap because i will have my harness forsale soon i'm doin another harness and will be testing it on my car then dublicating it again for the guy so i will have a running harness up for sale

mines for a 99 j body and a 98 W body but the W means nothing really aslong as you have a 98 PCM. if you want me to build you a harness i need the following
J engine harness
J engine fuse panel
W Engine harness
ALL UNCUT if they are cut the price goes up, price well we can discuss that in a PM i don't talk prices in the open thats not what this threads for so i wont

swaping the olds wiring is accually gonna be harder to do then you would think

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:35 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind but I think I'm going to attempt it myself first. I was talking to a friend of mine who rewired his fiero to run an sfi 3100. He gave me a few very helpfull pointers, I just need to find the wiring diagrams for the big plug on the drivers side frame rail before the firewall. He said I could just wire it into there and save me pulling the dash and hacking up the cavy harness to bad.
My only issue is where to get the ecu done. Could anyone point me in the right direction for that? Someone in the GTA that could do it preferably.

Also can anyone answer my flywheel question above?

Quote:

My other road block is finding the flywheel. I'm afriad to go custom only cause of what i've heard about the flywheel balancing the engine. Is the flywheel weighted more on one side than the other or something? I cant see them doing that tho. As long as my flywheel is in balance with itself will i run into any problems? Anyone ever have any issues with custom flywheels?
Obviously I'm still keeping an eye out for an f body one but i'm not having much luck. Havent been looking that long tho either so we'll see.

Thanks

Monday, June 08, 2009 4:50 AM
I ordered a Bully stage 3, will be here in a week and half, Bully has to make it first and wont have the parts until this Friday

Monday, June 08, 2009 4:53 AM
Mr_Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Thanks, I'll keep that in mind but I think I'm going to attempt it myself first. I was talking to a friend of mine who rewired his fiero to run an sfi 3100. He gave me a few very helpfull pointers, I just need to find the wiring diagrams for the big plug on the drivers side frame rail before the firewall. He said I could just wire it into there and save me pulling the dash and hacking up the cavy harness to bad.
My only issue is where to get the ecu done. Could anyone point me in the right direction for that? Someone in the GTA that could do it preferably.

Also can anyone answer my flywheel question above?

Quote:

My other road block is finding the flywheel. I'm afriad to go custom only cause of what i've heard about the flywheel balancing the engine. Is the flywheel weighted more on one side than the other or something? I cant see them doing that tho. As long as my flywheel is in balance with itself will i run into any problems? Anyone ever have any issues with custom flywheels?
Obviously I'm still keeping an eye out for an f body one but i'm not having much luck. Havent been looking that long tho either so we'll see.

Thanks

What exactly do you mean by custom? I know someone that can get a aluminum flywheel for this swap, but its not cheap by any means. Otherwise, the camaro flywheel will work just fine as long as you have it machined properly, it is working for a few guys with no issues. I personally have the aluminum flywheel, it is already balanced.

Monday, June 08, 2009 5:39 AM
i have a camaro flywheel as far as the tune go to www.gmtuners.com the guys name is ryan gick he did my ecm and i have no problem he is pretty reasonable too he charges 80 dollars u.s. plus shipping and that is for a gtp reflash and auto delete

Monday, June 08, 2009 5:58 AM
Can't go wrong with that!

If you have any doubts on the balance of the flywheel, take it to a engine shop and have it checked.

Monday, June 08, 2009 3:37 PM
but make sure its a good one

Monday, June 08, 2009 5:23 PM
To properly balance it, it must be balanced along with the rods and pistons..... it needs to be externally balanced.

Monday, June 08, 2009 5:44 PM
to get the PCM done talk to kevin at car tuning hes in toronto not sure where

flywheel just get the camaro one re-read page 1

as for harness that "big connector aka C100 you do use that but once again your not understanding what i'm trying to tell you about the harnesses for your gauges either also your buddy wired a 3100 into a fiero isn't hard to do as a 3100 is just a bigger bored 2.8 that the car came with that swap in that car can be done in a day

your harness is much more involved then a 3100 in a fiero. if you do make the harness yourself and have issues i wont be able to trouble shoot it as i have no clue what you have done. if you choose to get me to make you a harness i will stand by it. i keep all my notes and i have access to all the GM schematics up to 05 on my laptop on my work bench anyhting after that i have to go get.

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, June 08, 2009 6:47 PM
I would do one of 2 things... get Matt do the harness or do the harness yourself (or someone else do it). I cannot imagine it being easy going through that much wiring that someone else has done... that's my opinion.

Monday, June 08, 2009 8:08 PM
i wouldnt let somone who hasnt done it before touch the thing i did mine myself because i did one on my old car but left it very sloppy so my new one is alot nicer

Monday, June 08, 2009 8:16 PM
thanks isaak you said 1 of 2 but listed 3 things have another drink why don't you

DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THINGS, if you have questions ask if i don't have the answers i will get them i didn't replace my plugs while the motor was out and hte plugs and wires cause me massive issues why "BECAUSE I DIDN'T ASK QUESTIONS" i knew i wanted colder plugs but didn't know how many ranges i should go and what brand to go with never broke anything just had issues and for what 25 bucks for of plugs and a 60 dollar set of wires if i had taken care of that before when the motor was out would have been less stressful

am i a pro at this NO but no means i have done 1 car mine, however i have all my notes from my swap isaak picks my brain to see what i did. best part of this swap if you do the work yourself is you can do it for under 5000 i did but you know the car if somethigns not right you can nail it right down to what it is. just POST UP A QUESTION don't come on and say i'm gonna do it this way and have us all tell you not to ask us the best methods makes it much easier on everyone.

BTW 96-97 PCMs are crappy to wrk with apparently try and get a 98 GTP PCM no theft means you can start your car just like that. i had my spare 98 GTP PCM here but i sent it to isaak with his harness so he can start his car when i get my new harness completed i may get that one back if he hasn't had it tuned yet in exchange for my tuned one (if he wants it)

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, June 08, 2009 8:34 PM
any 98 ecm will work with a simple reflash to a 98 gtp

Monday, June 08, 2009 9:02 PM
Hey, Mc Poopy-face, I put them in brackets, they don't count Matt! And for your information, I was not drinking! (haha)

Monday, June 08, 2009 9:39 PM
I know you guys are using the camaro flywheel but they are hard to come by and I was asking about making the cavy one work with new holes drilled, but I've done a lot of reading that has scared me out of trying that. I think I'll just hold out for a camaro flywheel.

When using a 98 ecm do I need a 98 harness? or will the 98 ecm plug into my 96 harness? Cause I know the J bodies have diffrent ecm plugs for 95, 96, 97 and 98. Not sure about any newer than that but it wouldnt suprise me.

Monday, June 08, 2009 9:55 PM
Also the 3100 in a fiero is a little more involved than you think, the car had a 2.5 in it and even if it had the 2.8 its still a completly diffrent system. The 3100 is mass air flow and SFI where the 2.8 has map and mpfi... he listed some other things like that that he swaped over to.... it was a big job anyways.
Not trying to start an arguement or anything, just saying it is more involved than you made it out to be.

Thanks again guys for the help so far and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me a lot when i get done with the fabrication and start the wiring.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:05 AM
well just so you you know and he knows you can use the 2.8 harness on the 3100 and 3400 very easy i built a second gen cav with a 3400 and besides a few plugs needing changed it was very easy and as for the flywheel i called a salvage yard and they wanted 100$ then i went to advance auto parts and ordered a new one for 80$

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:19 PM
Really, that cheap brand new, wow. I didnt even try and price new, I figured it would be way to much. Thanks for that, I'll have to call tommorow and see what my parts store says.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:19 PM
96 harness will be different as its the transition year for the W body you don't wanna use the 96/97 PCMs as they have issues tuning them your better off spending the money on egetting a new harness say 98+ ideally get a harness and PCM together so the match 98 GTP is a good year because theres no VATS you don't need HPTuners to get the car goin i drove for 2 weeks on a stock GTP program

DON'T USE A (96/97 PCM)

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:47 PM
well i broke a scyncro in my trans today it was strange it just went out of nowhere

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search