Steering colum and wheel looseness - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering colum and wheel looseness
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:44 AM
Hey I have an 04 Cavy and I noticed that my steering wheel in the car moves up and down slightly. I also think that my steering wheel itself has looseness as far as me turning it from side to side. I have tried setting the toe several times and can't seem to get it perfect because of the looseness in the steering wheel.... How can I fix this?

Re: Steering colum and wheel looseness
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:31 AM
Start at the wheels and work your way up. Check the ball joints, outer tie rods, inner tie rods, steering rack, steering u-joint, and the column. It is a pain in the butt, but things wear out and get sloppy. Are you using anything under the wheels to let them turn when you adjust your toe? Greased or salted plates work well.
Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:11 AM
If its the column loose, under the column housing (the plastic) there are two pins on either side of the column, about an inch behind the multifunction switches theyre about 3/8 inch diameter pins, push those pins back in put some red lock tite on em and they shouldn't wiggle back out, I had to do this to my 02 ls about 2 months ago, worked great!
Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:23 PM
How can I get to those pins? Do I have to remove the steering wheel to get that cover off or is there an easier way
Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:37 PM
Pull the top plastic piece it shouldjust pull right off
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search