New Jbody owner...maybe. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Jbody owner...maybe.
Monday, June 03, 2013 10:25 AM
First off let me say that you have a great site!

With that said, I might be trading my truck for a 2000 Cav Z24 coupe with a 2.4. Before I do I wanted to ask some experts what I may be getting into.

What are common issues with that gen of z24s?
Anything I should look for specifically when I meet him?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: New Jbody owner...maybe.
Monday, June 03, 2013 2:56 PM
Not an expert by any means but i also have the same car for a few years now so from my experiences...and all this may or may not apply to yours based on how well it was taken care of prior.Factory strut mounts...suck...back ones make a noise akin to a loose piece of lumber that haunts your trunk area..my car sat for a few years so probably a big factor but the front ones made a sound similar to a bad CV but it was just a bearing in the mount who grease was rust and i think 1 or 2 ground up ball bearing as there were some missing and seemed no way for them to exit.
If your in any kinda area with snow/salt ,the rocker panels are exceptionally at risk around where the side skirts attach, also prone to rust below the gas fill door , and the craigslist in my area has far too many with rotted out subframes..either side around the ends of the rack and pinion is the most common area , far too many crevices for stuff to collect.

If this was an only driven in summer ,garaged, washed waxed regularly car ignore all that of course.

Blower motor resistor, is whats gone when you only got high speed on blower...id put it at like 11 on the PITA scale to change,unless your a 3 foot tall contortionist..

Mine had and still has an issue where the sunroof will only open/close when its sat in direct sun for awhile.

If theres a ..or several cracks/chunks missing from the dash near the windshield...thats not just a piece that can be replaced..thats part of the main dash assembly.

The 2.4 <often referred to by its code LD9> will be as good to you as you are to it (or teh previous owner as it were) They do NOT like to be run low on oil of course no motor does but these tend to spin a bearing pretty quick if you do.
The water pump design/placement is fairly obnoxious imo also.

Im sure there are other common issues that im missing or just havent occured to mine yet)

Re: New Jbody owner...maybe.
Monday, June 03, 2013 7:59 PM
Thank you for the pointers.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search