2.2 OHV 2002 ideas?! - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 OHV 2002 ideas?!
Friday, July 26, 2013 4:20 PM
My car has a full exhaust system with header and short ram, strut bar, lowering springs, 18 inch light weight rims, I'm gonna port out the block to match the holes on my header, also took off the ac compressor and shortened the belt. But besides that stuff any ideas to help gain ANY hp or help the handeling would be great. Thanks guys

Re: 2.2 OHV 2002 ideas?!
Friday, July 26, 2013 5:40 PM
Turbo.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:34 PM
Ya but a 2200 can only handel like 5-8 pounds of boost so I hear, do you think it would be worth the work?
Friday, July 26, 2013 6:38 PM
How about anything besides turbo or superchargers
Friday, July 26, 2013 8:01 PM
So build it to handle more boost.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Friday, July 26, 2013 8:18 PM
Justleave wrote:Ya but a 2200 can only handel like 5-8 pounds of boost so I hear, do you think it would be worth the work?

Now what idiot told you that?

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:03 AM
Lol without upgrades to the engine a 2.2 sfi ohv can handle like 8 pounds max stock and that's a fact bro!!! U must be on that ecotech bull@!#$.
Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:06 AM
My roomates a red seal mechanic and helps me when he can.
Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:11 AM
just cause hes a redseal mechanic means dick all that means he passed a test and knows how to change parts

you can put more then 8lbs to it but even still 8lbs is a fair bit of boost the stock 3800sc gets 7lbs and the difference in the engines is 8.5:1 for SC and 9.4:1 for NA, the SC pistons are dished thats it to lower the compression

my buddy has a 2.2 that built and hes running 7lbs on it and it runs 13.9. he has never upped the boost. you can run 7-8 lbs and still be reliable if you build the car right. you get what you pay for don't cheap out

you could look into the roller rocker swap

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:30 AM
3800 supercharged or turbo would be awesome to have in my lil cavi, how much HP u getting from that. There's a guy around here with a sunfire with a 3800 turbo he knows his @!#$ about j bodys though and has his own shop.
Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:37 AM
Thanks not a 2.4 that was helpfull have you seen the roller rocker swap done?

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:49 AM
The LN2 can do a lot more than people think it can. I have run more than 10psi on a stock motor and redlined it at 6500 rpm (before i did my build). Tune it right and it'll surprise you. Its SAFER not to do it on stock parts, but it can be done (mine was beat like a red headed step child for over a year and it still was in good shape when I pulled it: I am using the crank and block from that 150k motor currently).

Quote:

I'm gonna port out the block to match the holes on my header

That right there should either stop you or whoever told you that a header is bolted to an engine block from going any further.

X motor can only handle X boost is horrible statement for anyone with any automotive experience to make. Boost and horsepower arent completely direclty related (yes generally most boost means more HP, but you can make more with less also). Boost and reliability arent directly related (20psi on a stellar tune is more reliable than a sketchy or untuned motor running any boost level).

If youre looking to make a small amount more power (250 tops i would say) - I would find a turbo and boost the stock motor and have someone who knows how to tune j-bodies tune it and call it a day. You will spend more time and money and effort trying to make it fast n/a compared to with a turbo.

I had a cam, roller rockers, ported head, full exhaust and intake as well as whatever other bolt-ons are available and a stock motor on 5psi blew that out of the water. The n/a motor was slow and a complete waste of time in my opinion.

If you had a dohc motor i would say an n/a build would not be a horrible idea because there is greater potential. You need to remember what youre working with; the ln2 is like ~80 whp from the factory and small percentage increases from bolt ons dont mean much.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:12 AM
Thanks Matt lots of good stuff there, gonna def consider the turbo.
Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:14 PM
Justleave wrote:Lol without upgrades to the engine a 2.2 sfi ohv can handle like 8 pounds max stock and that's a fact bro!!! U must be on that ecotech bull@!#$.

8psi out of what turbo? PSI is just a number and will not cause an engine to fail. What happens is some idiot(like you) runs 10psi without proper tuning and the engine blows. The engine failed because of the tune not the boost. Or they exceed the power level that the stock parts can hold and then due to fatigue the engine fails.

8psi out of different turbos will put you at different power levels. Head work will also effect this too.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:45 PM
Ryan (QWKLN2) was running around 22 psi before he blew a ringland.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:59 PM
Quote:

Ryan (QWKLN2) was running around 22 psi before he blew a ringland.

I think that was around 280 whp iirc. Pretty impressive for the LN2 I would say.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search