2.2 Ecotec 03 Cavalier -- NEWB - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Ecotec 03 Cavalier -- NEWB
Friday, February 14, 2014 8:19 AM
Hey! I'm new to the J-body world -- well, any car world in that matter. I just "inherited" a '03 cavalier, all stock, from my grandfather. I'm planning on going to college here in a few months, and I was just curious if there was anything I can do to up the MPG, and reliability. As of right now, the o2 sensor needs to replace. I also need to fix the front driver's side seat. The oil-pane also has a hole in it. Anyway, thanks!

Re: 2.2 Ecotec 03 Cavalier -- NEWB
Friday, February 14, 2014 9:48 AM
Welcome to the .org

As for the MPG, for anything thing that the cost will end up saving a equal amount of money, not really. If you plan to build on it later on a intake is a good first step.

Is it a 5 speed or a automatic? 2 or 4 door?
Don't be afraid to post up some pics of it.

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:41 AM
Replacing the o2 sensor will help a lot. Other than that, general maintenance. Air filter, plugs, fuel filter, etc.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, February 14, 2014 12:32 PM
If it is a 5-speed, watch for hydraulic clutch line leaks. The line from the master cylinder to the trans rubs on a fender seam and can rupture. But not sure if that is only an 05 issue or 03-05.
Friday, February 14, 2014 1:09 PM
It's a 2-door 5 speed
Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:31 PM
Keep it as stock as possible and stock tire size with all seasons, maintained & up to date on fluids/plugs/air filters. I averaged 30mpg on mixed commutes all stock, now with 225/50-16s and a Vibrant 2.25" exhaust i'm down to 28 on the last few tanks, it is the middle of winter granted.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:28 PM
DarrenWS6 wrote:Keep it as stock as possible and stock tire size with all seasons, maintained & up to date on fluids/plugs/air filters. I averaged 30mpg on mixed commutes all stock, now with 225/50-16s and a Vibrant 2.25" exhaust i'm down to 28 on the last few tanks, it is the middle of winter granted.

This...it don't forget to clean it up good! You could even throw up an few pictures on here too....

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Monday, March 17, 2014 3:42 PM
DarrenWS6 wrote:Keep it as stock as possible and stock tire size with all seasons, maintained & up to date on fluids/plugs/air filters. I averaged 30mpg on mixed commutes all stock, now with 225/50-16s and a Vibrant 2.25" exhaust i'm down to 28 on the last few tanks, it is the middle of winter granted.
those tires aren't hurting you 2 MPG. If you track it, and don't change anything, you'll see the mpg drop when the winter fuel mix shows up at the pumps. Not to mention any warming up you do will use gas. However with regard to tires, you can actually up your size a tiny bit, especially if you're on the stock suspension, and increase MPG. For example, going to a 215/55/16 over a 205/55/16 would give you a little better mpg, although you won't be able to track it easily because the VSS will read slightly off.

Keeping your tires properly inflated will give you the best MPG.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search