timing chain - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
timing chain
Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:14 AM
I think my timing chain tensioner broke. There ws a tick at first then I shut off the car. Started it again the should was really loud, Put it in reverse and it stalled out. It will not restart. Just cranks. How would I find out it I bent valves or if the engine is even worth trying to fix? Is it an interference engine or a non interference. Yr is 2002 NON ecotech, 2.2l spi

Thanks

Re: timing chain
Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:15 AM
the engine is a 2002 2.2 spi
Thursday, May 08, 2014 5:45 AM
Does it sound normal when you crank it?

It's a non interference engine. If you were at low engine speed you're probably ok.

Id pull the valve cover and see if the rockers move when it is cranked. That'll tell you for sure.

The chain can be done with the motor in the car still it just is a pain to do.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:17 AM
thanks matt, yeah as soon as the made an half revolution on the tire it just stalled out. Yes it sounds normal.

Would it be easier if I just dropped the sub frame out with the tranny and engine? I have all the to to do it. Just looking for the best and easiest route to do it. Want to finish it in about a day or 2.
Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:46 PM
It can be done in the car it's not worth dropping everything out. These cars don't have a boxed in subframe so it doesn't just drop down with the motor and trans attached and sit on the floor. Luckily it's not an interference motor so a new timing set will probably get you back up and running. Like said I'd pull the valve cover and see if the rockers move though. If not that's definitely the problem.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:05 PM
Right. If the rockers dont move, its a timing set issue. Otherwise its something else. (perhaps it jumped a tooth though, so it still could be timing)

All you need to go to get to the timing set is get the serpentine system out of the way, pull the crank pulley hub, drop the oil pan and youre at the cover. other than that pull the rocker arms and pushrods out (keep track of which location they came out of so they go back in the spot theyre happiest... not sure it matters but its worth doing). I used a chain and 2x4 to hold the motor up to let me get the upper mount out of the way cause my arms didnt fit. I could probably do it in 2-3 hours or so. Its very easy on these motors. Hardest part was getting a pin to stay in place to back the tensioner off when installing the chain, i had mine slip out and the chain bit down on my finger. ow.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, May 08, 2014 5:43 PM
Thanks, ill take pics of the process.

Quick question how would i remove the engine mount without disconnecting my ac line? does it slide out?
Thursday, May 08, 2014 6:51 PM
I haven't had ac in years but I'm pretty sure you can gingerly get it out of the way. It is just bolted to the mount with a plastic clip iirc

Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:21 PM
Matt Linke wrote:I haven't had ac in years but I'm pretty sure you can gingerly get it out of the way. It is just bolted to the mount with a plastic clip iirc

Yep that's how I did it. You can work it out of there without removing the line.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, May 08, 2014 8:32 PM
Alright thanks. Ill be attempting this sat morning
Friday, May 09, 2014 2:55 PM
Ok i cant get the oil pan off i got all the bolts except one. I cant get to it cause there a bar in the way. do i have to remove it?

Friday, May 09, 2014 5:24 PM
Lol oh yea. That's attached to the lower motor mount (and I think the stock exhaust has a hanger on it). I forgot it's in the way.

4 bolts 2 in front and 2 in rear of block. The front ones go through the ac compressor bracket.

Make sure the motor is secure if the top mount is off.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:56 PM
My buddy came by today to help and said he looked it up and it says it's an interference engine. I don't want to finish doing all this and it be an interference engine. Are you certain it's a non. I tried to do research but it's conflicting some say yes and some say no. Please help.
Sunday, May 11, 2014 4:16 PM
Unless someone put some high compression pistons and a major lift cam in that motor is absolutely not interference. The other 2 engine options for a 3rd gen are so that's probably where the confusion is.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, May 11, 2014 4:56 PM
I cracked a retainer and the valve fell down like 3/16" and it drove like 8 miles home. Didn't realize it was like that till after. Valve is like new still.

That's with a bigger cam in it too.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search