3400 swap - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3400 swap
Monday, January 30, 2012 8:59 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:you have a 97 theres no BCM in that car so unless your swapping the dash harness for an 00+ you wont have to worry about a BCM.

just program the PCm to an 98 Oldsmobile Silhouette (minivan) they had no theft from factory

if you are swappin gthe dash harness program as an 03-04 impala for it to read the 00+ cluster

I didnt' get a chance to see which wires I used to add in the BCM, but there were only 8 or so, 12v constant, a couple ignition state 12v, the data link wire and a couple grounds.

BCM was installed in the glovebox, using some heavy duty velcro tape to attach it to the top of the box. All in all, about 10 minutes to add in once identifying the proper wires. It beat the three days trying to get it to work with a VATS bypass in the PCM and has worked (almost) flawlessly the last three years. Every so often it acts up, but removing the key from the ignition switch, waiting 5 seconds, and re-inserting fixes that.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:23 PM
Found it. Three posts up from the bottom of this page

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=301561&t=301561&p=2

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:13 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:you have a 97 theres no BCM in that car so unless your swapping the dash harness for an 00+ you wont have to worry about a BCM.

just program the PCm to an 98 Oldsmobile Silhouette (minivan) they had no theft from factory

if you are swappin gthe dash harness program as an 03-04 impala for it to read the 00+ cluster

is it an 03-04 Impala flash or 00+ Impala flash that works the gauges? I have read both on here.
Saturday, February 04, 2012 6:53 AM
hey whats up guys got a new j body owner right here..i got a 99 cav 2.2 but i plan on dropping a 3400 with tranny..have both just got to pull them clean em and wire it up
Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:26 PM
Well guys I sent my computer out last Friday I should get it back this Friday $150.00 from Milzy Motor sports they should also do all the normal upgrading like RPM limiter top speed limiter will be gone.
Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:39 PM
Bill me-later wrote:Well guys I sent my computer out last Friday I should get it back this Friday $150.00 from Milzy Motor sports they should also do all the normal upgrading like RPM limiter top speed limiter will be gone.

Yeah Milzy set my top end limiter to 255.. Its funny once you get up around 125-130 it'll restart the speedo.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:54 AM
3500gtp wrote:
Bill me-later wrote:Well guys I sent my computer out last Friday I should get it back this Friday $150.00 from Milzy Motor sports they should also do all the normal upgrading like RPM limiter top speed limiter will be gone.

Yeah Milzy set my top end limiter to 255.. Its funny once you get up around 125-130 it'll restart the speedo.

If you hook the VSS right to the speedo input on the C100 connector, it'll do the same thing. Except at 20-25.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, March 05, 2012 5:59 PM
OK guys I've had some time to work on my car since I sent the computer out.
and guess what it still wont run longer then 1 second then it dies. it seems like the fuel injectors aren't opening except on the initial crank signal. From what I've heard all the injectors will open at first because the engine doesn't know where it's at when it first cranks over and that's why it starts but dies almost instantly.
Q: what am I forgetting here?
It seemed to run longer when I dumped fuel right into the throttle body definitely longer than 1 second!
it sucks because I just spent $175.00 on a computer and the car still does not run.

it's got air
I do not have any coolant in it yet
the serp belt is off
all the sensors are plugged in except the rear O2
I do not have any signal wires coming from the fuel tank to the computer

I'll have to look at it again. come to think of it the fuel pump did not power up by itself I actually had to jump it at the relay box.

Hmmmm what am I forgetting?
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:31 AM
My original pcm came from Milzy.... Not only was it mistuned, but VATS kicked in even though it was (supposedly) disabled. 10 points say either 1) VATS wasn't disabled in yours, 2) the wrong wire from the pcm is going to the fuel pump relay, or 3) no wire was hooked up from the pcm to the fuel pump relay.

I'd check 3, then 2 to rule that out.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:12 AM
Starting at all means the fuel pump has to be coming on. I'm going with the VATS still not being disabled.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:37 AM
Kardain did they fix the problem for you? or did you send it to someone else?

Mr. Quick, Like I said I had to jump the fuel pump relay at the junction box under the hood.

I do have to look at it before I complain about my computer! Next week I'll have some time to really dig into it again plus the weathers getting warmer so I'll definately be out there trying to get it to work. : )

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:19 AM
They tried, but failed, hence my adding in the BCM....

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:26 AM
Bill me-later wrote:Mr. Quick, Like I said I had to jump the fuel pump relay at the junction box under the hood.
My previous statement was in response to Kardain's thoughts of a wiring problem causing the fuel pump to not run. Obviously if you can start the car at all, the pump is running, so the computer is not allowing the car to remain running. I'm betting on VATS. Starting and shutting off is exactly what it does.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:28 AM
Hey guys,

I made some good headway today, by chance I had some time off to do some figuring and went out to the garage.

It finally started and idled for me with the exception of having to "crack the throttle" but now it wont rev up without moving the throttle slowly it seems it might have a slight miss occasionally but I'll get it figured out and hopefully on the road next week. I'll post when I get it on the road unless I have more issues.

thanks for all your help on this project guys!!!
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:09 AM
Make sure the intake air temp sensor is plugged in. I forgot to plug it in one day and my car was acting like that. It would start and die with no throttle, and run like crap with throttle. Turns out without a IAT, the computer just dumps max fuel, at least the 94 grand am computer i was using did.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:14 AM
Hey thanks Oedwards, I'll have to check that out!
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:22 AM
Also check your MAP sensor. If that's not working properly, it won't idle properly or rev quickly, because the computer doesn't sense the change in vacuum.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:55 PM
Hey hey,
Good news guys I got it figured out the hot wire going to the MAF sensor was not hooked up. the computer seems fine runs good and will start without having to crack the throttle. I just need to rerout the computer inside the car and tidy up a bit and it'll be on the road. thanks for all your help and addvice guys.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:11 PM
Who woulda thunk it. That much closer to the fun.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:15 AM
Kardain wrote:Who woulda thunk it. That much closer to the fun.
Mr. Quick wrote:Also check your MAP sensor. If that's not working properly, it won't idle properly or rev quickly, because the computer doesn't sense the change in vacuum.
Me

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:36 AM
Yep it's fun! I've put about 150 miles on it so far and all is well.
I also installed one of those three gage kits you can buy at auto zone, that was fun, not! the oil pressure hose is a bit short but it will do for now.
I'm thinking of mounting the gages in the dash above the glove box. What do you guys think? I also have some more wiring to do just to get some lights off my dash.

I'll be honest, I didn't think it was going to be this difficult of a swap. Turns out it was way more work than I anticipated. Now that it's done, doing another one will be much easier!

I was thinking it was going to be more like when I put a 350ci Chevy in my S-10. but it had a carburetor with no computer.

Now that it runs good, it's time to buy a new cam, turbo, and nos kit and install it and have it dyno tuned. but that wont happen until this summer at the earliest.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:11 PM

here is my latest video.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:41 AM
Looks like an Ohio plate on that. Where you from bro?

Oh, and from experience. That Grand Am, upper mount that you have. You are going to break it. Mine broke into 3 pieces... I got pics around here somewhere of it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:57 AM
Looks like you've done a lot of work on it. Nice job so far.

One thing I'll add to SHOoff's comment is that the lower mount doesn't look like it's going to hold up long. You need some lateral bracing on it. There should be at least one part bolted to the bottom of the oil pan, and the yoke (where the dogbone bolts into) needs some bracing. Maybe adding a coupls of triangular gussets to the top of that portion would help. I would say the same about the upper mount. Get some gussets welded on to give it more support from bending. If you are going to stick with that style, I would look into the WOT-Tech mount for the Grand Am's.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:57 AM
IIRC - WOT-Tech doesn't have those mounts anymore. I got one of the last ones. I don't even think it's on their site anymore.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search