2.2 idles fine, but dives with gas applied? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 idles fine, but dives with gas applied?
Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:10 PM
Hi everyone,

My 2000 Cavi just started doing this, I didn't think I was going to get it home.

2000~ 2.2, 5 speed.

The car idles smooth, around 900 RPM. But coming home today it stalled several times when leaving from a stop, in first gear. This has never happened. As it idles normally, if a tap the gas, the engine bogs down. And then the last time it stalled, I couldn't get the RPMs high enough to even take off. I am working with a clutch, I was stranded in the road for about one minute, I was trying to rev the engine up, it would not go above like 1400 RPM. I sat there for a minute trying to rev, then it just shot up normally as I gave it gas, I then took off and got home.

If you've ever had a car run out of gas, this is kind of how it was acting, sputtering.

The gas level is good, and no engine lights were on. I suppose some bad gas could cause this, I do run 1 bottle of dry gas through the tank every winter to remove water.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance....

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Re: 2.2 idles fine, but dives with gas applied?
Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:31 PM
Sounds like maybe tps related. Do you have a multi meter? The tps should have 4.5-5v at one pin, when you cycle the throttle another pin should increase In voltage as you open the throttle. The third is ground.

I forget which is which. The test should be administered with key on engine off.

That's where I would start. Without tps our cars don't know how to fuel.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:20 PM
TPS or fuel pump
Friday, May 23, 2014 6:41 AM
TPS or MAP. Either one will cause the engine to be late advancing timing and increasing fuel, so the quick dump of air causes it to bog.

Monday, May 26, 2014 4:25 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to isolate which it is....

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

Friday, May 30, 2014 3:17 PM
Well, the verdict is in.....IT WENT AWAY! Lol I've driven the Cavi all week, around 400 miles, it it has not once bogged or stalled taking off in first gear. I have no clue why. I did run another bottle of gas dry through one tank, and the next tank I added Gumout fuel injector cleaner.

Maybe when it originally was bogging last week it had some bad gas or water in the gas? Dunno, just glad it stopped

Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:54 AM
My old gmc truck routinely runs horrible then fixes itself with no help from me after a few miles. Some vehicles just like to give back. Lol.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search